Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. I am hoping to get some advice on a Cummins engine swap. I have a isb 3.9 out of a delivery truck that I plan to mesh with a spicer 3053 transmission. I am hoping to get an idea of what I will need to make this set up work in my power wagon. Could anyone give me some guidance/advise on this. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
What transmission was behind it in the Delivery truck? You will need to know the bell housing patterns of both then see what you need to do to match them.
As for stuffing it into a Power Wagon I cannot comment
Cheers Steve

Reactions: Russ McLean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was an Allison 1000. The Cummins and the spicer are both sae3. I’m concerned about what flywheel/clutch/etc I will need.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Did you see this:

Quite a bit of clutch/flywheel info scattered in those six pages.

You got a plan to deal with the non-OD issue?

Roy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you see this:

Quite a bit of clutch/flywheel info scattered in those six pages.

You got a plan to deal with the non-OD issue?

Roy
Thanks for the link. The 3053 has 0.85 od fifth gear.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
.85 isn’t much of an OD, I have heard(no reference) that someone is making higher OD gears, check on ‘net, other trans’ have higher OD gears. Might not find diffs. with high enough gears, unless larger OD tires will fit.

Ed in CO

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
The 3053B apparently had a .75 OD
Also In Steel Soldiers there are references to others but that was an old post.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was almost sure the Deuce and Half trans was SAE 2 . But maybe I’m wrong , I have been many times . The steeper OD gears wear produced by a member on Steel Soldiers , he is no longer producing them . They were expensive and not enough interest in continuing to produce any . Myself I would look for another trans , as a Ford 5 speed or the NV4500 . I have one behind my 4BT in a Power Wagon , 3.54 gears it works well . The gear spread between 2-3 is a bunch , but you will get used to it and live well with it .

·
Registered
148 Posts
The few readily available search results for the 3053 have a lot of misinformation.

Fifth gear has a ratio of .78:1. First and reverse are not synchronized. First gear slides on the main shaft. I’ve found the gap between third and fourth to be annoyingly large. The housing is SAE 3. The M35A2 used an adapter ring to mount it to the SAE 2 housing on the LDT465. Pilot diameter is .75”. Input spline is 1.5”-10. A quick Google search shows some options for ISB SAE 3 housings. The stock 13” clutch disk may work with the it. The throw-out is a mechanically operated lever.

Second gear is the weakness in this transmission as it rides bare on the mainshaft journal and relies on splash lubrication. In fifth gear the speed differential between second gear and fifth gear causes oiling problems and many times seizure. Tom’s overdrive kit added a .69 OD and more importantly a modified second that was drilled for additional oil flow through the gear and it rides on needle bearings.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I own a Bobbed Deuce I've owned since 2012 as well as a power wagon that is almost done with a 4bt I used the NV4500 I rebuilt myself. I rebuilt my Spicer 3053a myself as well.I also upgraded the bearing retainer with one with a seal. It will leak and ruin your clutch and damage the transmission as well from chatter.The 3&4th gear lugs the engine especially if you get caught needing to up shift on a hill. It's synchros are brass so you can't use synthetic also if the oil is too slick it will grind a lot .The pros for the Spicer transmission is it's easy to work on parts are fairly common. It's not very large but very stout. The cons expensive to get the flywheel and Bell housing leaky stock bearing retainer no seal stock. The 3rd & 4th gear spacing second gear oiling also the 4th/5th gear synchro wear. The Nv4500 Cons are is expensive even for a used one. It's a lot more complicated to rebuild on your own. Certain parts are getting hard to find I.E. the GM 2wd tone ring. It takes special oil unless you use brass synchros that don't have the carbon fiber in them. Pros better overdrive and gear spacing common Bell housings clutch was cheap. I got a new Chinese flywheel the used Cummins flywheels are expensive the new Cummins flywheels are outrageous 1k$. My advice is look for deals and look at costs for parts& tools needed & the work it will take.

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
Helix, you have to be careful on the gear ratio of the Spicer 3053. The 3053A which came in military vehicles had an OD ratio of .85. The 3053B has been mentioned and that had a slightly higher ratio of .78 or .79 but it is extremely rare. There is an aftermarket kit from Waterloo Specialties to change the OD ratio to .69.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quick Draw conversion parts are top shelf stuff . I know the owner of the company personally . They are great people to deal with , and will stand behind his products . If you need anything Diesel related this is the first call you should be making to complete your swap or purchase .

·
Registered
148 Posts
Font Material property Number Document Pattern

From page 3-9 of TM 9-2520-246-34. I've verified this 5th gear ratio with the gears that came out of my 3053A.

What is the definitive 3053-A 5th gear ratio

Tom from Waterloo Specialties, who made the newer 5th gear kit has been in more of these transmissions than most people outside of Spicer and the Army and has never found anything but .79:1.

I have a feeling people just regurgitate what they've seen on Cabel Garbee's webpage and elsewhere on the net without any sort of references to back up their claims. Until there's documentation to back up the claim that any other ratios exist, it's highly unlikely they do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts