Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
13,454 Posts
Only the QSB4.5-30 has the longer stroke with the same bore as the 3.9. That is a unique engine to the Cummins line and only made in that one model. All other QSB and ISB 4.5 engines have a 4.21" bore x 4.88" stroke and feature a 16 valve head instead of the 8 valve on the 4.5-30.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Only the QSB4.5-30 has the longer stroke with the same bore as the 3.9. That is a unique engine to the Cummins line and only made in that one model. All other QSB and ISB 4.5 engines have a 4.21" bore x 4.88" stroke and feature a 16 valve head instead of the 8 valve on the 4.5-30.
Interesting. So, that is the 4.5 that I have. That's why I was confused. 2005, 8 valve VE pump. No electronics (obviously). Came from a SkyTrak (manlift/forklift).

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Maybe they didn’t have VE pumps. I got worn out long blocks with no pumps or turbos. But the front cover fits a VE pump. Does the VP30 pump have the same mounting? I know a P pump is different.

· Registered
13,454 Posts
Yes, the front gear housing is the same for most of the industrial pumps. The A or P pumps use a different one. Some of those 4.5 engines came with a Delphi pump which I believe is copy of a Lucas CAV. They were still 99 HP engines but no electronics like the VP30.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts