Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Okay, looks I made some bad assumptions. The Walbro FRB-5 pump does not have a return line built into it. If I need a Return Line, it may need to come off the engine somewhere? I see two fuel lines on the Common Rail. One line is a small diameter metal line. Is this the high pressure input line? The other is a much larger diameter hose. Is this the return line? I think that this larger diameter hose goes to the CP3? Does anyone have a working ISBe170 setup and a photo they can post with arrows identifying all the ins and outs? That would be very helpful. Attached is a picture of my fuel system plan so far. Diagram Line Parallel

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here is what I have. There is a brass cap on the side of the filter housing on the left side. There is a metal line running up to the bottom of the Rail, and there is a plastic line coming down off the end of the rail. I am not familar enough with the CP3 to know which is which.
Engine Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part Car

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The End of the Rail goes to the CP3 I think (See large plastic line on right of picture above)? The metal line comes off the filter I think? But, there are soooo many hoses going back and forth between the filter and CP3 that I can't tell what anything really does. I can't find anything coming off the Rail that is disconnected or capped. Help?

· Registered
157 Posts
There's a guy on here who put a qsb4.5 into a jeep, it's probably worth asking him as the fuel system should be very similar if not the same

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sigh... Well, maybe someone like that QSB guy who actually knows the answer to my questions could chime in here?

· Registered
157 Posts
I'll give you a call in the morning Gene, and we can go through it.

· Registered
157 Posts
Gene can you send me your cell number, I've tried the one in your email but no answer

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Gene can you send me your cell number, I've tried the one in your email but no answer
My cell is 503-267-1648.
Thanks,
Gene Climer

· Hangs Out With Dogs
2,952 Posts
Sigh... Well, maybe someone like that QSB guy who actually knows the answer to my questions could chime in here?
I'm sure that if you made a call or two you would come up with an answer quick.

I know I could come up with the answer in short order. This site is not here to spoon feed everyone. You are supposed to be motivated to solve these problems on your own too and share them with us.

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, it may be simple to y'all, but, I am still scratching my head here.

Kevin called me from Australia! Wow! I was impressed! Thanks Kevin! He sent me some pics of a QSB4.5L. Unfortunately it is not really quite the same.

I had a local Cummins mechanic looking at my engine pics, but, he lives 20 miles away and has not been able to get out to look at it yet. He built a racing Cummins for a guy in Austria. The Austrian guy is trying to get a German Bosch engineer to look at it also.

NO ONE seems to actually have one of these things running or access to pictures of such. I promise, when I get mine running, I am going to leave some good documentation here!

Oh yeah, I get it, it is simple. Just hook it up. Really? Sorry, not so much. I have a dumb need to understand what I am doing before I do it. The engineer in me is killing me at this point.

I called Walbro about a Lift Pump. They suggested one of three pumps: FRB-5, FRC-10, or the FRA-4. I still like the FRB5 for reliabily, as long as this is enough pressure for a CP3. Still, how does everything hookup?

Here is a link to my ISBe170 Photobucket pics.

I am still holding out for someone with a working ISBe170 to chime in here with a little help.

Thanks!
And Merry Christmas! :jeep2:

· Registered
157 Posts
Results!!!!!

Ok Gene, after checking out your pics on photobucket and the manuals on quickserve, I think I've got an answer- The ISBe170 does not require diesel fuel, it will get infinity miles per gallon.

...Yeah I didn't think so either. I've modified and re-uploaded a couple of your photos, feel free to save, re-re-upload them or do whatever you wish with them.
The ECM on your engine is cooled by the inlet fuel flowing through it, so it's probably best not to have a pump before it. The inlet, as you'll see is on top of the ECM.

The fuel return is on the back of the CP3- similar but different to the QSB that I sent you photos of.

Hopefully now you can run your lines and actually get it running!

Cheers :beer:

Reactions: irhunter

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The ECM on your engine is cooled by the inlet fuel flowing through it, so it's probably best not to have a pump before it. The inlet, as you'll see is on top of the ECM. The fuel return is on the back of the CP3- similar but different to the QSB that I sent you photos of. Hopefully now you can run your lines and actually get it running!
Cheers :beer:
Awesome! Success at last! Thank you for the Christmas present, Kevin!

Couldn't I just run steel fuel lines so that the truck frame is a heat sink to the fuel coming from the lift pump? Or are you saying that I need to insert the lift pump between the Inlet-ECM-Cooler and the CP3? That sounds like a lot of extra hoses.

Sorry if I sound like such an idiot, but, I drive a 2000 Dodge 2500 truck with a 5.9L Cummins. It is -nothing- like this motor.

Thanks again!

· Registered
157 Posts
Awesome! Success at last! Thank you for the Christmas present, Kevin!

Couldn't I just run steel fuel lines so that the truck frame is a heat sink to the fuel coming from the lift pump? Or are you saying that I need to insert the lift pump between the Inlet-ECM-Cooler and the CP3? That sounds like a lot of extra hoses.
No problems Gene, I'm glad it makes sense now. I've added some more comments to that picture to hopefully explain myself better. They're kinda colour coded- the light blue tags are opposite ends of the same hose. Where those 2 hoses are together is your low pressure pump.

(Again, the photo is yours)

Possibly what your best option might be is to try it just with the suction line from the tank to the engine and return line straight back, if you're not happy with how it runs, issues with priming etc. Then look at tearing some more leaves off the money tree to buy an electric pump. (unless it's flourishing, then feel free to harvest and send some this way, but given that you're currently doing a diesel conversion I seriously doubt that)

Cheers

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
No problems Gene, I'm glad it makes sense now. I've added some more comments to that picture to hopefully explain myself better. They're kinda colour coded- the light blue tags are opposite ends of the same hose. Where those 2 hoses are together is your low pressure pump.
I see the Inlet on top of the ECM. I see the outlet of the ECM cooler that goes to the CP3. Then there is a line that goes from the CP3 to the filter and back again. Then there is the metal line that goes up to the Rail. And I see a Return off the back of the Rail back to the filter. What I don't see is the "2 hoses" or the low pressure pump that you referred to on the last picture.

I was planning to install a lift pump anyway. This is a low pressure pump (8-12psi) between the tank and engine. I was planning to run a fuel line from the tank to a pre-filter (30 micron), to the lift pump, and then to the ECM Inlet fitting that you identified. Then it seems to me all I need is a Return Line from the Return Line fitting you identified on the CP3 that goes straight back to the tank. Am I confused or do I have it straight now?

· Registered
157 Posts
The 2 lines which are circled on the cp3 are the lift pump, that should be all you need

· Hangs Out With Dogs
2,952 Posts

· Premium Member
3,051 Posts
Reactions: Jason S

· Registered
31 Posts
Let me help you a little these engines have a lift pump built into the CP3 so an extra unit is not required. I work on Frito lay trucks equiped with them. No electric lift pump to be found any where on the frame or in the tank what ever. That Cp3 is pricey compared to a 5.9 cp3 you need to keep the original inlet at the ECM it. Fuel cools it and it reads fuel temp and then you should have one line left over can't remember if its on the fuel filter housing or pump but it returns back to the tank. I believe its on the pump though.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts