Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Let me help you a little these engines... I work on Frito lay trucks equiped with them...
I need the chassis side harness plug that plugs into the ECM on the motor. Can you help me get one of these beasts? If I could get the connector with pigtails, that would move me a lot closer to firing mine up for the 1st time. The motor, transmission and transfer case are going back into the frame this weekend, hopefully. I need to start wiring and plumbing. Thanks for any help you can offer! Gene

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I believe one of the guys in my area has one...and cost new 1,300. If I can locate one I will get the ecm plug section and at least 24 inches of wiring sound good? As long as you have the pin out location diagram your good... If I can get it pay the shipping and its yours. Quick question was your engine in a Workhorse chasis or Freightliner? The main power wire to the ecm on this vehicle harness needs to be hooked straight to the battery (30 amp fused) thats how both GM/Freightshaker wired them. I'll get back to you latest mid next week.
Yes, a 24 inch pigtail, or even 36 inch or longer would be great! I already have the electrical pinout diagram. I would be happy to pay the shipping, absolutely! The engine seems to be brand spanking new, never installed as far as I can tell. It came with Workhorse Chassis paperwork. Figuring out details like you mentioned about the computer being directly connected is going to be the tricky part. I know a guy here in town that works at Freightliner. Hopefully he can help me with the more devilish details... Thanks for anything you can do to help move me down the path. Just got the engine in the chassis today. Time for plumbing and wiring!

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Just fab'd up a frame mount for a Wix fuel filter/water separator. Next, I need to fab the Walbro fuel pump mount. Then I'll be ready for the engine fuel fittings. Does anyone have specs or part numbers for the Fuel RETURN line fitting on the CP3 and the fuel INLET fitting on the ECM cooler? With these fittings, I can finish the fuel system plumbing. Then I need to start working out the electrical connections and sensors. Especially the THROTTE pedal sensor. Anyone have a spare drive by wire throttle for this beast? Thanks, Gene

· Registered
48 Posts
Which ecm does that use? Cummins has different tps inputs. The most comman two are single potentiometer and dual idle validation switches and dual potentiometer. You should be able to find this on the wiring schematic and it may have a CM_____ somewhere, with numbers in the blank spot, this also denotes the type. I have access to both types with different pedals that they could be attached to. Also, I happen to live in your area.

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
I have the pump plumbed in. Now I need the fuel fittings (5/16 nipple) that go into the ECM inlet and the CP3 outlet? Any help as to what threads I need? Also, I still need the ECM harness connector with pigtail, and the throttle pedal. I think the wiring diagram said the throttle was a 100k pedal? The part numbers for the pedal (Workhorse numbers?) are "132433" and "372 L-413". Pictures of another engine like mine can be found here: http://picasaweb.google.com/113074690037608811997/CumminsISB170Allison1000Series#5531751039999065746

· Registered
228 Posts
I have the pump plumbed in. Now I need the fuel fittings (5/16 nipple) that go into the ECM inlet and the CP3 outlet? Any help as to what threads I need? Also, I still need the ECM harness connector with pigtail, and the throttle pedal. I think the wiring diagram said the throttle was a 100k pedal? The part numbers for the pedal (Workhorse numbers?) are "132433" and "372 L-413". Pictures of another engine like mine can be found here: http://picasaweb.google.com/113074690037608811997/CumminsISB170Allison1000Series#5531751039999065746
I own that specific pedal now. Its in a crate with all of the other parts with my Allison and out of my reach at the moment otherwise I'd offer to get the rest of the PNs from it. I think it was made by Johnson controls. I ended up buying everything you see in that Picassa album about two months ago. My truck will be ready for some engine action around Christmas time so I won't be any help until that as thats when I can pull it out of the crate. All I've done is open it, verify its all there, and then close it up and put it into storage in a friend's shop. Its completely buried and he would kill me for digging it out for simply a few PNs.

· Registered
48 Posts
That pedal is from Williams Controls. It uses a single aps dual ivs output. This is the same sensor used in pre'07 trucks, buses and motorhomes with a cummins engine. What are you looking for, I can probably locate what you need? Do you want just a sensor and harness, a complete pedal assembly, or something that you can connect the factory throttle linkage up to?

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
That pedal is from Williams Controls. It uses a single aps dual ivs output. This is the same sensor used in pre'07 trucks, buses and motorhomes with a cummins engine. What are you looking for, I can probably locate what you need? Do you want just a sensor and harness, a complete pedal assembly, or something that you can connect the factory throttle linkage up to?
Yes. I need everything. I need the pedal assembly with at least a pigtail harness. I also need the chassis side engine plug with a pigtail harness. If you could do all that, you'd be my hero! How do you want to work this out? Let me know.

Thanks!
Gene
503-267-1648 (cell)

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Okay guys. This is where the Return Line goes. It is the same as the ECM cooler upper and lower fittings. Cummins sells the lower ECM cooler hose assembly, so I just ordered two of them. I will use one of these for the Inlet and one for the Return line. I'll just cut off the unsed end and put in a hose nipple. I just got the hoses. It has a soft (Santoprene) outer jacket with a hard plastic core. I am hoping I can find a hose barb to work with it.
Auto part Diagram
Auto part Engine Fuel line Automotive engine part Vehicle

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
You say this pedal is made by Williams Controls? Okay... Here is a picture of the pedal, and another picture showing the part numbers on it. Who would I order this from? I doubt Napa is going to be able to get this? Help! I need to get this pedal ASAP.
Technology Auto part Electronic device
Gun

· Registered
95 Posts
You say this pedal is made by Williams Controls? Okay... Here is a picture of the pedal, and another picture showing the part numbers on it. Who would I order this from? I doubt Napa is going to be able to get this? Help! I need to get this pedal ASAP.
View attachment 15371 View attachment 15370
Have you tried Cummins for the pedal? I looked into one a couple of years ago for my 3.9 ISB and the Cummins parts guy said there were two different ones available depending on pedal mounting surface angle.

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Have you tried Cummins for the pedal? I looked into one a couple of years ago for my 3.9 ISB and the Cummins parts guy said there were two different ones available depending on pedal mounting surface angle.
What I need is a Cummins Engine Serial # and CPL # for an ISBe170 sold WITH the throttle supplied by Cummins. That seems to be the ONLY way the parts guys can look them up. My engine was not sold with a throttle, so the parts guy has no way to look it up. Do you still have you SN# and CPL#? Thanks, Gene

· Registered
95 Posts
What I need is a Cummins Engine Serial # and CPL # for an ISBe170 sold WITH the throttle supplied by Cummins. That seems to be the ONLY way the parts guys can look them up. My engine was not sold with a throttle, so the parts guy has no way to look it up. Do you still have you SN# and CPL#? Thanks, Gene
My setup came out of a Fedex truck so I assume so. I gave my parts guy the cpl/serial numbers and thats how he looked the info up. You want my serial number and cpl number? If so I will go out and get them for you over turkey day.

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
My setup came out of a Fedex truck so I assume so. I gave my parts guy the cpl/serial numbers and thats how he looked the info up. You want my serial number and cpl number? If so I will go out and get them for you over turkey day.
Absolutely. If nothing else, it will help the next guy too. Cummins seems to need the SN/CPL numbers to look stuff up. I might have a line on a throttle pedal with a local guy here (Dels).

· Registered
95 Posts
OK here is the info on my 3.9ISB. Engine #21494151, CPL#2938. Its an 01 engine with Allison trans and came out of a Fedex truck. I think I have the pedal assy somewhere packed away, will look for it next weekend and see if there are any numbers on it.

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
OK here is the info on my 3.9ISB. Engine #21494151, CPL#2938. Its an 01 engine with Allison trans and came out of a Fedex truck. I think I have the pedal assy somewhere packed away, will look for it next weekend and see if there are any numbers on it.
Other thing that might be nice is to get the Fedex truck informaiton. Like the Year, Make, Model, VIN, etc... That way I can order parts from them also. Like the ECM chassis side plug that I am still trying to find. Thanks Guys!

· Registered
95 Posts
Other thing that might be nice is to get the Fedex truck informaiton. Like the Year, Make, Model, VIN, etc... That way I can order parts from them also. Like the ECM chassis side plug that I am still trying to find. Thanks Guys!
The truck info I don't have, just the engine stuff. I happen to work at a Cummins dealer and will do some research in the parts department this weekend for you.

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Okay guys. This is where the Return Line goes. It is the same as the ECM cooler upper and lower fittings. Cummins sells the lower ECM cooler hose assembly, so I just ordered two of them. I will use one of these for the Inlet and one for the Return line. I'll just cut off the unsed end and put in a hose nipple. I just got the hoses. It has a soft (Santoprene) outer jacket with a hard plastic core. I am hoping I can find a hose barb to work with it.
View attachment 15369 View attachment 15368
The hoses I ordered are Cummins #4899763. I cut the hose in half and used the right angle end for the ECM Fuel Inlet. I used the straight end for the Fuel Return line. Then I pushed in 1/4" barb fittings. I had to heat them up with a propane torch to get them nice and hot to be able to push them into the hard center plastic of the hoses. Then I clamped them. Works great! Fuel system now done.

· Registered
228 Posts
So did you get this thing started and running yet? I'd love to see / hear a video of one.

I'm starting into the fuel system on mine. On mine the fuel filter head and distribution assembly is missing. The correct filter head I have been unable to source so I found a stock Cummins head on ebay but its just an In/Out filter head, heater, filter, and water separator assembly. Its down to 2 micron though so its a snug fit. I believe that I am going to make my own fuel return block though.

The fuel system goes as follows and correct me if I am wrong.

Tank to ECM,
ECM to low pressure pump
From low pressure pump to filter assembly
From filter to high pressure pump,
From high pressure pump to rail.
There are return lines from... the high pressure pump and the fuel rail... or should there be a return line from the filter head too? I am thinking not because the low pressure "Gear pump" on the CP3 puts out 73 psi plus and the high pressure indicates that there should be about 50 psi feeding the inlet on its side... Unless I put an adjustable relieve valve on the fuel return to control the pressure coming out of the gear pump... is that something that is part of the stock filter head?

I looked into an airdog system but I am unsure if I need that $600 plus component and that if the Fleetguard filter is sufficient enough to de-air...

41 - 60 of 67 Posts