Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

· Registered
228 Posts
Bumping again.. You ever get your engine to start? My engine is missing the whole fuel filter assembly and due to packaging I am running an FASS pump back near the tank on my project. I'm running a nice long line up to the ECM, then from ECM to the "lift pump" on the front of the CP3, and then to the high side of the CP3 and then from the out side of the CP3 back to the tank again. All -08 and -06 lines.

The free open line is going to come from the fuel temp sensor / computer and then feed back to the inlet of the lift pump, then the jump line goes from lift pump to the CP3 high pressure side and then the top fitting is the return.. correct?

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
My setup starts at the tank, goes through a filter, to a Walbro fuel pump, to the top fuel fitting on my ECM, comes out the bottom of the ECM and goes to the filter, which goes to the CP3, which is routed to the high pressure Common Rail, which has the return line coming off the top going back to the tank. I forget if my pre-filter is inline before or after my Walbro lift pump? I know, clear as mud right? Where did you find those ECM fuel elbows? Those look WAY better than the tiny plastic Cummins lines I found. Do you have the brand, part number, etc?

· Registered
228 Posts
I do not have a brand or part number, just the sizes. Well, the elbows are just Aeroquip -06 JIC aluminum fittings. To attach to the ECM, pump, etc I purchased from a hydraulics shop a handful of 12mm x 1.25 ORB type fittings that adapt to -06 JIC 37 degree. The JIC Aeroquips I ordered off of a few internet sources. All of the online speed shops sell them along with a few industrial suppliers. Heck mcmaster even sells the NPT to JIC adapters for my tank fittings.

· Registered
123 Posts
I just hooked up all my fuel lines and had 2 small questions.

One is which line on the filter base was the inlet and which was the outlet. There are 4 lines but only 2 are being used by me. 2 of them were just a union basically and they just passed through the side of the block. Of the remaining two, one is in the middle of the block and one toward the side. These are the 2 I am referring to.

Second is the feed and return fittings on the CP3 pump itself. There are 2 fittings, one faces towards the front of the engine and is near the sensor and the other is facing away from the block and downward. I assumed that the forward facing one is the supply and the outward was the return. Does this seem correct?

Any help would be appreciated. I am glad to be moving on this project again and hope to have the cab back on soon to do all the electrical and plumbing for the intercooler, radiator, and trans cooler.

Thanks

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I just hooked up all my fuel lines. Which line on the filter base was the inlet and which was the outlet. There are 4 lines but only 2 are being used by me. 2 of them were just a union basically and they just passed through the side of the block. Of the remaining two, one is in the middle of the block and one toward the side. These are the 2 I am referring to.

Second is the feed and return fittings on the CP3 pump itself. There are 2 fittings, one faces towards the front of the engine and is near the sensor and the other is facing away from the block and downward. I assumed that the forward facing one is the supply and the outward was the return. Does this seem correct?

Any help would be appreciated. I am glad to be moving on this project again and hope to have the cab back on soon to do all the electrical and plumbing for the intercooler, radiator, and trans cooler.

Thanks
Here is a link to my build page on Facebook. I have gone down the fuel plumbing route a couple different times. If my pump was not plumbed to begin with, I'd be totally lost. here are some photos on PhotoBucket as well. Do not believe half of what I thought was true in the beginning. I eventually figured out the fuel tank routing, but, it took forever. I ended up buying this 4899763 hose to connect up the inlet and outlet to and from the tank. Hopefully all these photos will help you.
Thanks, Gene

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello newly joined here. Does anyone have pics of there either custom plumbing from cp3 to stock filter housing or a remote location? Thanks in advance. Ive searched and downloaded manuals seems hard to find what port gors where

· Registered
231 Posts
Hello newly joined here. Does anyone have pics of there either custom plumbing from cp3 to stock filter housing or a remote location? Thanks in advance. Ive searched and downloaded manuals seems hard to find what port gors where
Here is what I did on my Ram 1500.
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

61 - 67 of 67 Posts