Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still trying to find a Power Steering Pump.
I tried to run down some part numbers listed in a previous post and got nowhere.
Does anyone know if a Ford F800 Cummins ISB PS pump will fit and work in an ISBe170 HPCR motor?
I have seen several of these on eBay recently.
Also, is there a PS pump with an Air Pump that will fit?
I have seen a Wabco unit on eBay recently.
I have also seen PS pumps with a small diameter splined shaft and others with a larger diameter gear?
Which one is made to fit my motor?
I'll be using this to drive a Dodge 1500 truck PS Rack/Pinion and a hydraulic winch motor (Motor still TBD).
Thanks,
Gene
Beaverton, Oregon

· Registered
231 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if these pumps are good in small vehicles.
After 8 months with the ISB in my 08 Dakota I had to do a rack as it was getting stiff some times.
I just came back from a road trip and its starting to get hard again after only 2 months on the new rack.
I'm tempted to put one of our electric pumps into this truck.
I also had to open up the return hole in my reservoir as the pump was very noisy with the restriction.
Now it pumps like crazy but maybe too much for an automotive rack?
Any way to adjust the flow of these pumps?

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which PS pump are you using? maybe it is trying to pump too much volume and/or too much pressure? Does your system have a pressure relief or bypass valve? I don't know enough about this to even be dangerous.

· Registered
374 Posts
I've seen two different kinds of pumps on an F800's. The PS pump for them is usually a large eaton type hydraulic pump mounted on the gear case. These pumps flow way more fluid than a light duty steering system can handle. Ive seen people run them on pickups but it requires you to modify the overflow valve in the gearbox and/or the hydroboost. If you can modify the return system they will work fine, other wise you will continue to have rack problems.

Now I'm not sure of their use on the later CR engines, the older F800's had a belt driven GM Saginaw pump dedicated to running the hydroboost.

· Registered
231 Posts
Mine is the gear drive pump and no I dont have a bypass valve.
I will do a net search and see what I can find.
I was going to remove the gear pump next week and install the stock Dakota belt driven pump. If I can get away with a bypass valve then it would save me a bunch more fab work.

· Registered
231 Posts
Installed the Dakota pump last week and steering problems went away.

· Registered
574 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_GNa4cPdU4

This conversion used a Ford Triton PS pump mounted in the same position as the Dodge Commonrail engines.

The RGT engine PTO port is reverse rotation from front gear engines. I built a custom reverse rotation saginaw P pump for one, but couldn't get the proper drive gear from Cummins after several tries so went with a belt driven pump.

· Registered
2 Posts
There are many sites or stores are availble from where you can get much information about the water pump or hydraulic pump. I got help by many websites for my issues. You can also get help by some topics which availble on blogs also.

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installed the Dakota pump last week and steering problems went away.
So did you end up running the belt drive pump? Did the gear drive pump not work with a bypass? That was one of my potential plans, but, I'd rather get a gear drive pump. My thought is that the volume can be maximized by running the PS gear and Hydroboost in parallel. Does anyone know of a ISB170 PS pump that fits these requirements? Or am I pushing a chain uphill here?

· Registered
231 Posts
It was simple to just add the stock Dakota pump so I went that way.
I think the Cummins pump had way more capacity than I needed so it should work well to run your two systems.
Once I got mine out of the engine and a blockoff plate built I noticed the pump had metal shavings in it so it was not running well to start with.

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was simple to just add the stock Dakota pump so I went that way. I think the Cummins pump had way more capacity than I needed so it should work well to run your two systems.
Do you have pics of the Dakota pump setup? What year of Dodge Dakota, which engine, etc... What did you use for brackets? What did you use for a new serpentine belt? If I am going this route, I don't want to die another slow death trying to reverse engineer yet another solution when you have already solved it. Thanks!

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am still trying to find a Power Steering Pump.
I am stillllllllllllllllllll looking. This is taking years! Does anyone have the Cummins PS Pump Gear P/N? At least with this, I can match up a used pump. All I know so far is that the 5.9L Cummins PS Pump gear does not fit my 3.9L ISB170 with rear gear train. I would be happy to find a list of PS Pump Part Numbers that are actually available. Thanks, Gene

· Registered
13,447 Posts
Have you tried checking with Freightliner. They use this engine in the MT35 vans. Don't know if their PS is belt driven or gear drive. I found a listing for the PS pump for the rear gear train, but it needs a gear drive adapter similar to the one used for hydraulic pumps. Of course it comes from China but it is a Cummins part 4891324.

Attachments

· Registered
13,447 Posts
Have you tried checking with Freightliner. They use this engine in the MT35 vans. Don't know if their PS is belt driven or gear drive. I found a listing for the PS pump for the rear gear train, but it needs a gear drive adapter similar to the one used for injection pumps. It has a bow tie like key on the end of the shaft. Of course it comes from China but it is a Cummins part 4891324.

On further research, I'm betting this PS pump is designed to piggy back on the air compressor pass through.

Attachments

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have searched and researched, and thought the PS Pump Gear I needed was a 3955159 or a 3902595? And I have seen the 4891324 number before, but, thought it was for a front gear 4BT or 6BT? It is really hard to pull this stuff together on a shoestring budget for a not so common Cummins. Next time I think I will just build a SBC where you can find parts anywhere. I still need the PS Pump, and Adapter Housing, and the right Gear, whatever it is.

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I still need the PS Pump [/FONT][/COLOR]
Just put Paypal money down on a used TRW PS Pump from an ISB170. Can't wait to get it and start putting the PS and PB together.

· Registered
231 Posts
I have a good pump with gear from a 170 if needed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.