Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a problem. i have a 1990 dodge cummins 4x4 auto(727). This drive train setup is going into a 1986 ford f350 4x4 that has a 460/c6/np208

Problem 1: Need a drivers side drop transfer case that will bolt up to the 727.First that comes to mind is nv241.

Problem 2: I want to use a np205 but the dodge and ford 205's are way different. So i though swap out the input shaft to the ford unit. well that would make the shaft way to long. and they use a wierd adapter. See where i am going with this?

Problem 3: speedometer issues. how would i make it work correctly when swapping out the cases?

here is the info site for all needs.
http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/Tcase_NP241.htm

http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/Tcase_NP205.htm

·
Registered
67 Posts
In my '86 Bronco I used the running gear from a '95 3500CTD. It had the NP241HD T-case/48RE tranny (basically an electric 4spd version of the 727). So using the 241 would be my first choice.

If I remember right, that t-case used a hall-type adapter to send signals to the ECM. I am not real sure on how to adapt a mechanical speedo to this, but probably any speedo shop could help you there.

As for the vaccuum switch (Dodge use a vaccuum actuated 4wd axle), I simply plugged the holes with RTV and it worked fine.

If you wanted to use the Ford 208, but the input shaft is too long, what about having a machinest cut/respline as necc? I am not familiar with the specs, so I might be off base here...

Good luck!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes the nv 241 would make the most sense i guess. so wait i cant attach a manual shifter to the nv 241 tcase? or wait your talking about the central axle disconnect?

Oh ya please send me some pictures of the swap that sounds awesome! [email protected]

·
Registered
258 Posts
The vacuum switch on the Dodge 241 doesn't need to be plugged, just leave it unused. Or, if you want a 4x4 indicator, get an electrical switch from another Dodge t-case which will thread in place of it and you can use it for a light on your dash to remind you that you are in 4x4.

The 241HD is manually shifted by linkage. Its easy to adapt to another vehicle. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 241HD. Strength wise, I would put it very close to a 205. Of course the aluminum case won't take hits as much as the cast iron 205 would, so if you are going to be hammering it on rocks the aluminum will be weaker. But the 241 will take the torque without a problem. Its also more street-friendly being a chain driven case. Its quieter.

In my '86 Bronco I used the running gear from a '95 3500CTD. It had the NP241HD T-case/48RE tranny (basically an electric 4spd version of the 727). So using the 241 would be my first choice.

Good luck!
Just a little FYI: Unless it has been swapped, you have a 47RH. Its a non electric transmission (the H designates hydraulic...E for electronic), with the only things electronic being the lockup torque converter and overdrive. The 47 was used behind the 12 valves. I believe the 48 started in '98, and I'm not sure if its electronic or hydraulic for those years.

Jim

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so what years and where can i get this switch to make my factory "in 4x4 light" work? Does the 241 not have a "in 4x4 light" switch on it?

hey guys i am about to have my 727 tranny built and was wondering if there is anything special i should have added or inspected etc since it is going to be holding behind a 700 lbft cummins.

Any perticular products/ rebuild kits i should use?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Get a switch from a newer Dodge that didn't have the front axle disconnect. I think the switch from my '04 would fit my '96 case, but I'm not 100% sure. I think the one in my '97 Dakota and 2000 Durango would also fit.

The Dodges with a vacuum operated front axle disconnect have a sensor on the front axle to run the 4x4 indicator. Vehicles without a front axle disconnect didn't need a vacuum switch at the t-case, so they have the 4x4 indicator switch there instead.

Jim

·
Registered
67 Posts
:emb: Sorry!!! I ment 47RE, not 48RE:emb:

Serious Brain Fart!! Thanks for the catch!! It was a RE because I had a serious problem integrating (eliminating) the ECM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts