Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I measured my rodeo ute with the 4jb1t and the 4bd1 would fit but would be very close to front panel. 4bd1 would be too heavy anyway and the 4jb1 is a good engine and bolts in

·
Registered
277 Posts
Is the 4jb1 turbo charged , if not , why would you want to install a none turbo engine ? Anything I have ever seen, car or tractor that did not have a turbo was a dog.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have asked this Q before but received no response, & here now seems like a good place to ask again.
Is there anyone out there who has the specs angle etc needed to convert a none turbo to a turboed engine?
Costa Rico is loaded with 70/80s Toyota trucks & LCs but none turboed, many scraped engines, a competant machine shop should be able make this change.

·
Super Moderator
8,765 Posts
Is the 4jb1 turbo charged , if not , why would you want to install a none turbo engine ? Anything I have ever seen, car or tractor that did not have a turbo was a dog.
They came in both turbo and non-turbo. Non-turbo were found mostly in the smaller NKR trucks and the commercial van equivalents. All passenger vehicle (bighorn/trooper/rodeo etc) were the factory turbo 4JB1T.

I have asked this Q before but received no response, & here now seems like a good place to ask again.
Is there anyone out there who has the specs angle etc needed to convert a none turbo to a turboed engine?
Costa Rico is loaded with 70/80s Toyota trucks & LCs but none turboed, many scraped engines, a competant machine shop should be able make this change.
You can turbo a non turbo engine. But you generally have to keep boost down and tune them more conservatively. Toyota 3B people have broken cranks by pushing boost too high. You can melt pistons more easily as they normally do not have piston oil squirters for cooling and you can damage pistons with high boost as they are generally not reinforced.

·
Registered
277 Posts
That is what I was asking, also a good shop, if they had the spec's could drill the oil injector nozzle holes, so that one could convert to full turbo engine. Is this possible, labour here is cheap.

So does anyone know the size, angle Etc,,,to where a machine shop could make this conversion. And would one have to buy a diff., crankshaft ??????

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is what I was asking, also a good shop, if they had the spec's could drill the oil injector nozzle holes, so that one could convert to full turbo engine. Is this possible, labour here is cheap.

So does anyone know the size, angle Etc,,,to where a machine shop could make this conversion. And would one have to buy a diff., crankshaft ??????
Can’t help with the oil squirters. I know they ran an upgraded nitrided crank on the turbo versions, and slightly lower compression ratio. They will survive fine without the squirters as long as the fueling is conservative and not pushing EGT’s

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pls would it be possible to swap 4bd1 into Isuzu Trooper?
Suggestions much appreciated.
They will fit with the right engine positioning, I was going to fit a 4BD1T into my rodeo drag Ute, until I found a 4HE1T which I am setting up at the moment. The thing that gets in the way is the deep section of the sump, if you can modify the sump to work around the crossmember there is no problem. This is the 4HE1 (which is a little bigger) engine sits down and forward a little from the the 4JB1T. I have about 25mm clearance from the firewall and crossmember. Radiator will probably need to be moved forward a little

1 - 10 of 10 Posts