Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm fairly new to this forum. I intend swapping 4bd1 engine to a Land cruiser 80 series. I would mate the LC gearbox to the 4bd1 engine.
Would someone be generous to educate me on how best to get it done?

·
Super Moderator
8,804 Posts
Hello all. I'm fairly new to this forum. I intend swapping 4bd1 engine to a Land cruiser 80 series. I would mate the LC gearbox to the 4bd1 engine.
Would someone be generous to educate me on how best to get it done?
I've moved your question to a new post. There are several members here who have put 4BD1T engines in 80 series landcruisers. Some used different gearboxes, others used a combination of the Isuzu auto and Toyota auto gearboxes to make it bolt together.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There’s some good threads on here and on ih8mud. Do you have a an FJ80 or an FZJ80, FJ80 is a fully hydraulic tranny? Either way I’d look over wheelingnoob’s, jtaylor’s, camotubebender and lostih’s threads on ‘Mud. They likely cross over to here. I think all of them have used the longbow adapter method. Some searching will find you his threads. One of them, I believe jtaylor, used Dustin’s adapter which is no longer made. That should give you more than enough info to get started.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi im new here. Have the same project. I habe a fj80 with a 3r engine 4.0l carb. Tranny h151 i think. Does any one sell a kit to make it easy ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi im new here. Have the same project. I habe a fj80 with a 3r engine 4.0l carb. Tranny h151 i think. Does any one sell a kit to make it easy ?
Hello. With that H151 tranny, your highway rpms will be so high, I think you’d be better off with a Toyota diesel. Also, I don’t know if any adapters to the 4BD1t for your tranny. You may be able to figure out a way to bolt up a 14bt or 15bt Toyota diesel. I know yuu could with the old H55. Not sure on the Newer ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. With that H151 tranny, your highway rpms will be so high, I think you’d be better off with a Toyota diesel. Also, I don’t know if any adapters to the 4BD1t for your tranny. You may be able to figure out a way to bolt up a 14bt or 15bt Toyota diesel. I know yuu could with the old H55. Not sure on the Newer ones.
Thanks.. what do you think about the 4jb1t?

·
Registered
219 Posts
That will be a great build and we'll be looking forward to your progress
Yes Jocho the 4jbt is pretty small for the 80 but might work good in a 2WD toy Pickup that is why the 4BDiT is 3.9L would be a good choice, but JMHO the 6BT Cummins is the best option!
I am trying to acquire an FJ60 for my build and I too also plan on using my Aisin tranny from the NPR and mating it up to a 60 or 80 T Case. My engine build will be a hybrid 4BD1T injection pump, head and injectors into a 4BD2T !

·
Registered
144 Posts
That will be a great build and we'll be looking forward to your progress
Yes Jocho the 4jbt is pretty small for the 80 but might work good in a 2WD toy Pickup that is why the 4BDiT is 3.9L would be a good choice, but JMHO the 6BT Cummins is the best option!
I am trying to acquire an FJ60 for my build and I too also plan on using my Aisin tranny from the NPR and mating it up to a 60 or 80 T Case. My engine build will be a hybrid 4BD1T injection pump, head and injectors into a 4BD2T !
The NPR’s that have the 4BD1/2 do not have the Aisin tranny that is similar to the A442. They have a Jatco that is not very long lasting if you turn up the engine at all. No one has mated the Jatco up to a Toyota transfer case as far as I know. I believe it’s top gear is 1:1.

The AW450 that some have mated up to the HF2AV (from 80 series, not 60 series) does not mate up to the 4BD family. It’s the 4H family.

Do you have one of Dustin’s adapters? They mate the 4BD1/2 to the A442 or A343. But they aren’t made anymore.

·
Super Moderator
8,804 Posts
The NPR’s that have the 4BD1/2 do not have the Aisin tranny that is similar to the A442. They have a Jatco that is not very long lasting if you turn up the engine at all. No one has mated the Jatco up to a Toyota transfer case as far as I know. I believe it’s top gear is 1:1.

The AW450 that some have mated up to the HF2AV (from 80 series, not 60 series) does not mate up to the 4BD family. It’s the 4H family.

Do you have one of Dustin’s adapters? They mate the 4BD1/2 to the A442 or A343. But they aren’t made anymore.
Did the 4BD2T get the Aisin? I know the 4BD1 was Jatco.
4H definitely got the Aisin.

Someone I'm sure built an Isuzu 4B/Aisin/Toyota combo on here. But I can't recall who.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did the 4BD2T get the Aisin? I know the 4BD1 was Jatco.
4H definitely got the Aisin.

Someone I'm sure built an Isuzu 4B/Aisin/Toyota combo on here. But I can't recall who.
At least in the US, the delineation was 4BD family was Jatco, then the Aisin started with the 4H family.

Some have also gone the route of the longbow method. I can’t say if that would work with the AW450, as the pumps and converters snouts/converters are different between the A440 and AW450’s. I’m sue it could be done. But I don’t think there’s a bolt up solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts