Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I may have a 6HE1 flywheel housing located which I plan to try on a 4HE1. It is still questionable if I will end up with it but if I do, I'll post the results here. The 6HE1 housing puts the starter very low and on the right side of the engine. The starter is on the engine side of the flywheel. I expect the transmission side of the housing to be a SAE 2 pattern which means the standard AW450 automatic transmission will not bolt up.

Be aware that switching housings on the 4HE1 is more complicated than on the 4BD1/2 because it contains the full gear train to drive the cam, IP, oil pump and PS pump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.
I am planning to swap 4HE1 to an old body style Ford F250 someday.
Anyway, do the other engines in the Isuzu "H" family can fit the 6HE1 housing I mentioned? (I've seen trucks with 4.3, 4.6, 4.8, 5.0 and 5.2L variants of that family)

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
The only "H" engines that I'm familiar with are the 4HE1 and 4HK1, the 4HE1 being a 4.8 liter, overhead cam, 8-valve engine with an inline mechanical Bosch-type IP. The 4HK1 is 5.2 liters, overhead cam, 16-valve engine with fuel rail electronic injection. The flywheel housings appear to be the same with a few modifications on the HK to accept additional sensors. I've been told that the 4HK1 housing does not have the timing marks required to set the IP.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Someone in Australia has fitted a 4H, IIRC 4HE1, into a Land Rover and it has turned out a very nice conversion. The rear facing starter didn't seem to present a problem for the foot well, just a mod to the transmission tunnel.

Although we drive on the right hand side, Land Rovers have narrow bodies compared to many other vehicles, about 1630mm (64") outside body width. I would have thought it would be easier with many US vehicles.

I'll see if I can find some pics of his Isuzu conversion.

·
Super Moderator
8,687 Posts
Thanks for the advice.
I am planning to swap 4HE1 to an old body style Ford F250 someday.
Anyway, do the other engines in the Isuzu "H" family can fit the 6HE1 housing I mentioned? (I've seen trucks with 4.3, 4.6, 4.8, 5.0 and 5.2L variants of that family)
It does appear all these engines share the same platform. The 4.3L is the 4HF1 which is non turbo and the 4HK1 is the 5.2L turbo. Plenty in between.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Someone in Australia has fitted a 4H, IIRC 4HE1, into a Land Rover and it has turned out a very nice conversion. The rear facing starter didn't seem to present a problem for the foot well, just a mod to the transmission tunnel.

Although we drive on the right hand side, Land Rovers have narrow bodies compared to many other vehicles, about 1630mm (64") outside body width. I would have thought it would be easier with many US vehicles.

I'll see if I can find some pics of his Isuzu conversion.
Here are some random pics of the Land Rover engine bay with 4HE1 installed:

BW EFR turbo on custom manifold

Engine run/stop solenoid

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Some pics from the gearbox end, unfortunately I don't have a good pic showing the starter viewed from the left side:

Isuzu MXA5 gearbox, adapter to Land Rover LT230 transfer case (hyd pump on pto) and custom gear shift.

The end of the starter is on the left side of pic

For those interested in the custom gear shift:

Machine the hump for the stock shift mechanism off the shifter housing

Weld a plate over the opening

Shifter assembled on MXA5

The lever and knob screw in here. Move left-right, then fore-aft to select gear. See early pic of what the shifter is engaging with to select the appropriate shift rail (left-right).

Edit Here are pics of the inside of the MXA5 and underside of the shifter housing showing shift rails and selector forks

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I only have experience with gearboxes for the 4 cyl engines. The MXA is used with the 4's, I don't know if it is also used with the 6's. AFAIK the flywheel housings are the same where they bolt to the engine, but the other end that accepts the gearbox bell housing may be different, I simply don't know.

The flywheel housings for industrial engines are SAE3, 4, etc. depending on the engine size, and AFAIK there is no bell housing to suit SAE to MXA.

There are different bell housings for the MXA gearboxes that allow the MXA to be used with 4B or 4H flywheel housings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts