Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

Got a line on a cheap refrigerator unit for semi-truck trailer. It has its own diesel engine, 4 cylinder non-turbo. There are 2 engine mfgr. possibilities in these units, Isuzu or Yanmar. Displacements range from about 2.3L up to 4.2L or so. The engine has light blue stamped steel valve cover, unlike most Isuzu I've seen with aluminum. Anybody have any experience with these units to help identify the engine?

Not thinking of using for OTR or road vehicle, but for tractor project and 'other' use. Thanks for any ID tips!

JimmieD

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Isuzu C223 is a 2.3L 4cyl. But I think it's alumin(i)um rocker cover too.

What make is the refrig unit? Can you get any photos of the engine?

·
Registered
854 Posts
A lot of Kubota engines were used also. Even some small Mercedes.

I haven't seen any refer unit engines that would work in a vehicle bigger than a 2WD Ford Ranger (at the biggest).

Also, all I have seen are non-turbo and around 40 HP or so.
Most also have funky over-sized oil pans.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys!

This unit is an old Thermo-King model, and the only 2 engines they list in the inventories are Isuzu and Yanmar. I didn't get a long look and numbers but will go back for that.

The valve cover was steel one-piece, and had stamped square raised sections on top @ one per cylinder as I recall. IP didn't look familiar but I'm no diesel expert hah! This engine is NOT Overhead cam. I'm thinking all Isuzu's are OHC?

This engine is non-turbo, but according to Thermo-King website it's at least a fat 2 liter, possibly as big as 4 liter. From the looks I'd say it's on the small end, not one of the big muthas. However one of the larger engines, with the right cam and IP, might be a possible on a conversion, Linc? But yeah in something small.

That's one of the engines listed @ Thermo-King website, Dougal. My Isuzu at home is aluminum [aluminium hah!] rocker cover, pretty typical of Japanese OHC engines. I'm thinking it might be the Yanmar, but I've never seen one of those.

I'll go back and try to get pics of it. I have some strange projects going, non-motor vehicle, like a garden tractor type thing, plus that tractor power train could be driving pumps and other devices, and this might be perfect. I'll get pics. This diesel thing ain't no hobby, it's a blasted disease! Thanks!
JimmieD

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Thanks, guys!

I have some strange projects going, non-motor vehicle, like a garden tractor type thing, plus that tractor power train could be driving pumps and other devices, and this might be perfect. I'll get pics. This diesel thing ain't no hobby, it's a blasted disease! Thanks!
JimmieD
I'm a bit disappointed Jimmie. Here I thought you were going to use that to add ultra air conditioning to the Townwagon by mounting it in the rear.:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, wait a minute..... I think you've got something there, Bob! :D Probably keep a guy chilled out in Death Valley at the peak of summer...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts