Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day Rowex here from South Africa, I would like to swap my 4HE1-T engine to Cummins 6Bt 5.9, truck is a 6m deck rollback, my main concern is coupling de gearbox with Cummins engines. Can any1 help me how I can mate them & if it’s a good idea To swap wit 6Bt or I must opt for 4Bt, truck has a 6 speed manual gearbox & load different kindS of Light & heavy duty vehicles & machinery equipment

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Does your existing 6 speed have an SAE clutch housing or engine specific clutch housing? Easy to fit Cummins to SAE 2 or 3?

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Trying this again.

Dies your bell housing have a 4HE1-T specific bolt pattern on the bellhousing?

Or is it a SAE bolt pattern on the bellhousing?

And a link to SAE bolt patterns:

Russ
And another link:

Russ

·
Super Moderator
8,778 Posts
An Isuzu 6BD1 or 6BG1 will be close to fitting the gearbox, a clutch housing change is possible on many Isuzu gearboxes.

What is your Isuzu year and chassis code?

·
Super Moderator
8,778 Posts
2005 not sure of chassis
I've found a sheet for a 2002 NQR500. It's max 9 ton GVM and 12.5 ton GCW. Engine is 4HE1T and gearbox is MZZ6U

I found this picture of a MZZ6U. Kinda looks like the bellhousing is swappable, but I don't know what pattern you'll find. I also don't know if a 6BT will fit under your cab.

Isuzu made a few heavier trucks with NPR/NQR cabs and the bigger 6 cylinder engines. You can spot them by the cab sitting higher and guards extended lower:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep😔 they said it’s too big & Wil rip off my diff coz of hi torque,

4bt is my only options Bt I feel like it wil be under powered

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1st engine Had a ridge on sleeves kept on losing water, den I bought aMother used reconditioned Engine & used it for a month or so! Bearing knock occurred while driving. Mechanic fixed it & lasted a week, engine seized 😔

Attachments

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
A bit of information here. The Isuzu 4HE1-T is 148 HP with 300 lb ft torque. That truck also came with the 4HK1-TCS engine which was 175 HP with 369 lb ft torque. Both trucks used the same MZZ-6U transmission. Not sure what 6bt you have available but the base engine used in the Dodge trucks was 160 HP with 400 lb ft torque. The transmission would probably be OK with a base 6bt but if the unit you found is higher power it may be too much for that transmission. I couldn't find specs for the input torque limit on the MZZ-6U. Another issue would be is there space for a 6bt. It is a much longer engine that the Isuzu 4 cylinder. You were worried about a 4bt's power. Lot would depend on which 4bt you select. A common truck engine was the ISB170 which is a 4 cylinder common rail engine. It has 170 HP and 413 lb ft of torque.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
char1355 thanx a LOT for the info Bt they don’t sell those engines here in S.A unless if it’s a special order Which wil cost a LOt still, I’m opting to go for 4hk1, meaning I wil hav to adapt all wiring harness & ECU from de truck which engine was stripped off. I jst don’t know how easy or difficult wil it be

Attachments

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
Computer controlled engines can be a headache to swap. Can never tell what problems you may have. The Cummins ISB engines are computer controlled as well. Even the accelerator pedal is electronic.

·
Super Moderator
8,778 Posts
Being Isuzu to Isuzu swap of the same engine and chassis family everything should be close to plug and play. It will just depend how far back you have to swap stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank U Dougal, Bt my truck is a 2005 4HE1 & I see in America already Dey had 4hk1 on them. Here in S.A we had 4HK1 from 2008 onwards, see pics. not on De truck I have, my question now is will it be plug & play or wil it needs to be programmed
379FB186-D60B-4D57-82A7-779DEB6F7029.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts