Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain the 2 levers on the tranny? What gear is where? Also I see a couple that have kits to make a top shift, someone called COR? And Sheldon? Thanks Tom

·
Super Moderator
8,804 Posts
Side lever which moves forwards/backwards is the same as moving your gear lever up/down. Top lever that moves side side is the same as moving your gear lever side/side.

Shift pattern on the truck is like this:
R 2 4
1 3 5

I don't remember which way the levers work for each but you'll work it out pretty quick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Side lever which moves forwards/backwards is the same as moving your gear lever up/down. Top lever that moves side side is the same as moving your gear lever side/side.

Shift pattern on the truck is like this:
R 2 4
1 3 5

I don't remember which way the levers work for each but you'll work it out pretty quick.
Thanks, I did save the whole shifter so far. Would like to find anyone with a kit or self made top shifter.
100_1306.JPG
100_1306.JPG 100_1308.JPG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I had not seen it. So many Thanks. I am hoping to get a starter from seller, if not will buy new and try to fire it up. Has been sitting for years but roll over.

·
Super Moderator
8,804 Posts
That was from an Australian called Sheldon. He sold them through AULRO.
It is a landrover specific conversion as Australia got a lot of landrovers (military and civilian) in the 1980's and 90's using the 4BD1 (non turbo) with landrovers LT95 4 speed gearbox and integrated 2 speed transfer.
That kit has an adapter ring to fit the landrover specific engine bellhousing and a welded adapter on the tail to fit a landrover LT230 4wd transfer box.

He had a lot of issues with the fabricated tail housing breaking and the adapter shafts inside breaking. Likely from material choice, heat-treatment and design details. I used a different design and steel in my adapter shaft and mine hasn't broken.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not looking to add a transfer case. Just hoping to find a easy set up to shift the tranny. This swap is for a TimberJack skidder. I want to get rid of a 353 Dertroit. The transfer case is on the rear half. The other idea is to use the 4 speed w/ reverser on the Detroit and attach it to the Isuzu. Using the MSA 5D seems like less problems other than lack of spare parts.Thanks for the ideas and help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts