Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day folks

recently I did conversion of a 4bt Cummins to my isuzu NQR truck, truck is running very well, my issue is brakes & exhaust stopper. Isuzu had a vacuum pump on alternator Bt 4Bt don’t have. Can any1 advise on wat must I do, we stripped all wire out & I don’t know which 1 goes where I’m thinking of electric vacuum pump(is it worth it) but I don’t know how to install them.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
I typed "electric vacuum pump" into the search bar and got 467 results. I suggest you do the same. It will be a start on your quest for knowledge.

·
Registered
12,063 Posts
Cummins offered 5 different vacuum pump options on the B series engines, None were electric. There are aftermarket electric units available. Must be careful because light duty units often found in cars and trucks to operate some vacuum accessories are not intended for brake booster operation. Price for the ones intended for brake use range from around $200 to $400. As far as electrical connection you'd just need a source that is hot when the ignition is on. Nothing fancy there. Units have a switch that turns them on when vacuum level drops. Below is is photo of one in the $200 range. A company named CVR has units in the $300 range and Leed Brakes units get into the $400 class. In the non electric type there were 3 belt driven ones and 2 gear driven. 2 of the belt drive type ran off an accessory V belt and one used the 8 groove main accessory belt. Below are a few photos. The first one is a diaphragm pump and the second is a vane type pump which requires an oil line. These were found on 4bt's used in the E350 Ford vans. The diaphragm type is very common because it was used on Ford diesel pickups for many years but I've never been able to find the Cummins part # for the bracket. The vane type has been discontinued a long time and is hard to find. The 8 groove belt type was used on the '03-07 Dodge common rail engines to operate an exhaust brake. Those are available but not cheap and you' d have to make your bracket to fit it to your engine. See photo. The last 2 pumps were combo units with the power steering pump. The early ones had 2 diaphragm pumps. That one proved to be a problem and was discontinued. The second style used a Wabco pump which was a good unit. Fitting one to the 4bt can be a bit of a problem, especially with the inline injection pump you have.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts