Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of swapping a salvage 2002 New Beetle 1.9l TDI ALH engine into a 1992 Isuzu space cab. I'm waiting for my adapter to arrive from Matt Whitbread. He also is tuning my ECU. This totally new but will see it through. Just bought a Chevrolet S10 V6 4.3L GM NV3500 NV 3500 Transmission 5 Speed. I am looking a for a Chevy 153 tooth flywheel for an "internally balanced" or 2 piece rear. It came out of a 1995 chevrolet s10 4.3 v6 truck. I can find plenty of 153 tooth flywheels 16 lbs but Randy - tdconversion recommended a heavier flywheel. The heavier flywheels are not cheap. Anyone know of good deal on a heavier flywheel let me know.

While I'm waiting for the adapter to arrive, I have removed most of the wiring from the VW. To complete the wiring removal, I need to remove the connection to the fuse box inside the car. How do I do that? Cut the wire? Would it be better if possible to mount the internal fuse box from the VW in the Isuzu? Or cut the wire then determine which wires are need and connect to the Isuzu fuse box. Matt says there will only be a few wires needed once the IMMO is deleted.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In the short rows...need some help

I have the engine mounted, tryanny and drive shaft connected. Now I am wiring. I need a little help with wiring. I have already labeled all the wiring and connected using the beetle fuse box and relay panel very bulky. What I would like to do is power the ECU from the Isuzu ECM relay. How is the best way to test this without frying the ECM.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You just need switch power ,fused of course, to power the ecu. Make sure all your grounds are connected also. Do you have a bently manual? You need one its a must as the wire diagrams are all in there. You can also see plenty of threads on Tdi club for wire pinouts where ever photobucket didnt kill them.

P

·
0 Posts
Where did you get your flywheel? Years ago i found cheap steel or maybe cast iron flywheels in the 25 lbs range, they were dirt cheap because everyone wanted lighter flyweel for quicker revs, i also think the epa prefers the lighter flyweel.

So the only guys wanting heavy flyweels are 4x4 guys wanting that heavy mass down low and the conversion guys. The price has quadrupled.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You just need switch power ,fused of course, to power the ecu. Make sure all your grounds are connected also. Do you have a bently manual? You need one its a must as the wire diagrams are all in there. You can also see plenty of threads on Tdi club for wire pinouts where ever photobucket didnt kill them.
Vw fuse box, relay panel, GP, 109 relayed wired. Learning as I go

·
Registered
251 Posts
Anyway to delete relay panel
I deleted all that stuff. To bulky and also the relays are expensive. I got a 6 pack of 5pin 40amp relays with pigtale harness for like $20. Used one for the 109 relay and used one to run my cruise and one for glowplugs (Manual bypassed ecu) I grabbed the under dash relay holder (holds 12 relays) and cut it so its only 4 holders wide and slide my relays in that. there is also a spot to hook several blade fuses to the same holder and you only need 2 fuses minimum. one for the 109 and one for the power sensors (MAP, N75 valve...)

Look on my thread at TDi club you will see how I wired mine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have someone looking at the wiring schematics ensuring all is correct. Once the relays arrive, we are going to re-organize. Hopefully I will have this puppy running soon.
IMG_0083.jpg

I need to replace this box
IMG_0085.jpg

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have someone looking at the wiring schematics ensuring all is correct. Once the relays arrive, we are going to re-organize. Hopefully I will have this puppy running soon.
View attachment 110674

I need to replace this box
View attachment 110682
Yea that box can go. The big terminal end wires are great to use though. I used that fat 10 gauge wire to run a hot buss for the 2 relays I needed. If you keep the VW glowplug relay to run off the ecu it only needs 14 gauge at a max of 40amps its plenty of wire to run that current. I ended up just running thee GP manually though.
Is your donor car a automatic? if so the alternator is only 90amp. The stick is 120amp.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea that box can go. The big terminal end wires are great to use though. I used that fat 10 gauge wire to run a hot buss for the 2 relays I needed. If you keep the VW glowplug relay to run off the ecu it only needs 14 gauge at a max of 40amps its plenty of wire to run that current. I ended up just running thee GP manually though.
Is your donor car a automatic? if so the alternator is only 90amp. The stick is 120amp.
It's a 5 speed manual nv3500...
Not sure about the fuel pump yet. I may use the VW tank and fuel pump since the bed will be a flat bed. The Isuzu gas tank fuel pump sits flat and is screwed on. Most have a screw or lock ring. The Isuzu does not.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was asking about the VW donor car if it was auto or manual. As for the intank pump just make sure there is no filter sock on it like all the gasers have. They will clog up quick.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was asking about the VW donor car if it was auto or manual. As for the intank pump just make sure there is no filter sock on it like all the gasers have. They will clog up quick.
The beetle was an automatic. So the gas fuel pump will work as long as remove the sock? Do I need to regulate the pressure? The gas fuel pump is only a year old.

P

·
0 Posts
The beetle was an automatic. So the gas fuel pump will work as long as remove the sock? Do I need to regulate the pressure? The gas fuel pump is only a year old.
Vwzips from tdi club reuses gasser fuel pump in the TDI swaps he does, he puts a T for a return. I have not asked where this t is located but i assume under the hood but dont know if it's before or after the fuel filter.

Im assuming both the vw gasser and isuzu gasser will have 45 to 55 psi.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts