Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

221 - 235 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
I removed the valve cover and 1 valve was destroyed. The others looked fine. Timing belt was tight appeared not to have jumped... I need to remove the head. I couldn't find a valve12MM TRIPLE SQUARE CYLINDER HEAD BOLT TOOL locally - autozone, etc. I ordered one online. Should be here Monday.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
I got head back form Frank in Missouri. Installing timing belt now. Frank sent me timing belt tensioner stud but no nut. I have the old nut. Is it OK to re-use or should I use a new nut. It appears to be 8 x 1.25 nut

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
As long as its not galled. Send it.
I found a quote from Frank where he says torque the cam shaft pulley at 44 lbs. Does that sound right? I know the book says 33 but he said in the link that book is incorrect and after much testing 44 lbs should keep it from slipping. I think that is what happened to my head.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
I have not choice but to use the old nut or the 8x1.25 from autozone. Can't a nut anywhere. Hard to believe no one sells them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
I was attempting to find TDC with a wood dowel about half the size of a straw, I stuck it down in the glow plug port but about an inch broke off. I couldn't retrieve it . Would you remove head? I'm better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
One could get the plug hole straight up, fill jug with water, see if straw floats?
Hook small tube to air gun, stick it all the way in, try blowing straw out.

Ed in CO

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #233

Installed timing belt. Before mounting head, make sure #1 piston was at TDC. After installing head, verified again with coat hanger. Installed cam lock, loosen cam sprocket, Pinned injector pump. Once belt installed torqued to 44lbs(Frank advised) Since I don't have a mark on the flywheel (I wish it did), again followed followed Frank directions and harmonic balancer align with notch. I rotated the engine several times. I cam locked the cam shaft and pinned the IP and verified harmonic balancer notched was aligned. Seems like I have more compression; engine does not seem to rotate as fast. I bled the lines. Tried start but seems like engine is not turning fast enough. I charge the battery(1 year old). If everything is right, should fire up immediately. Hmmmm

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
After the head rebuild by Frank, my truck runs good. Great power and fuel mileage. Still turns 4 to 6 revolutions before starting. If I jump from other pickup starts a little quicker. I have some clear line I put on and I could see a few very small bubble. From the pump to the return line a lot of bubbles. Don't know if that is normal. Timing is a little advanced. I have an inline flow through fuel pump, turned it on but makes no difference starting. From the Vagcom, this what I see.

Attachments

221 - 235 of 235 Posts