Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

241 - 259 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
I don't but I do have the ball that came out of the 2002 VW. I just remove and re-terminated the lines. Much better If press one time, it stops as before but if I pump the breaks three times, by the third time pedal becomes hard. I will try the ball tomorrow. Just never noticed this before. The pump is only a couple of years old. I replaced the original because it had the old style spout which leaked.
I don't but I do have the ball that came out of the 2002 VW. I just remove and re-terminated the lines. Much better If press one time, it stops as before but if I pump the breaks three times, by the third time pedal becomes hard. I will try the ball tomorrow. Just never noticed this before. The pump is only a couple of years old. I replaced the original because it had the old style spout which leaked.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Hey,
I just had mechanic replace my fork and throw out bearing. Clutch was hard to press. A month, after the repair, I am getting a squealing noise in neutral as I start to press the clutch. If press all the way it quiets down. It sounds like the release bearing bad. Either defective or cheap! What is the best release bearing to purchase?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey,
I just had mechanic replace my fork and throw out bearing. Clutch was hard to press. A month, after the repair, I am getting a squealing noise in neutral as I start to press the clutch. If press all the way it quiets down. It sounds like the release bearing bad. Either defective or cheap! What is the best release bearing to purchase?
What adapter kit are you using? And clutch for a Isuzu?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
TDC 203 CHEVY SMALL BLOCK ADAPTER KIT with an 1995 S10 NV3500 transmission. A year ago, I replaced the transmission with a factory re-manufactured from autozone. Transmission was loud from the get-go. I thought it was input shaft but a month ago, replaced the throw out bearing and fork which eliminated the noisy transmission. Now getting a squealing noise at the start of depressing the clutch. No problem changing gears. I ordered a Delco OEM today.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Would you replace the pilot bushing.?i read somewhere that it is best to replace pilot busing when replacing throwout bearing

·
Registered
267 Posts
When steel pilot bearings fail they ruin the input shaft, I am interested in your reasoning?

Ed in CO.
As long as your runout is within spec or better a roller berring (quality) should not fail. Im saying that with my very limited experiance as I have never had a roller pilot fail. That being said there are adapter companies out there that have put pilot bushings in there setup and the bushing was not long lived and it ate the trans input bearing, also those adapters where on or out of the runout spec. TDconvertions (Now midwest) does not have this issue. I have well over 100K miles on mine and the runout measured less than .002 Im sure a bushing is fine and I have used them in factory setups in stock applications but my experience with adapter setups is roller bearing is better when runout is withing spec.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #250 (Edited)
Looking at the attached pictures and links, how do I remove the pilot bearing? I don't think I can use the bread method on this setup. Comparing the new delco throwout bearing to the one recently replaced, it appears bad. There is little play in the input shaft but how much play is allowed? Looking at this link can you tell if I need to replace the pressure plate. Only about 15000 miles of wear. One of the springs appears to have some wear on it. I remember I bought it from autozone and probably not the best quality.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Throwout bearing is fried for sure. Input will have some radial play as long as there is no axel or in and out play. I dont even see a pilot bearing in there so I guess thats a bushing? I guess that would make sence if GM used a bushing in that application. Go borrow the pilot removal tool from O-reilles autoparts. That friction disk is worn and I can see atleast 1 crack in the hub plate. Go grab a LUK clutch. there cheap but quality. Sachs is also good factory replacement. I have over 100k miles on my LUK. I think I got it from rock auto.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #252 (Edited)
Throwout bearing is fried for sure. Input will have some radial play as long as there is no axel or in and out play. I dont even see a pilot bearing in there so I guess thats a bushing? I guess that would make sence if GM used a bushing in that application. Go borrow the pilot removal tool from O-reilles autoparts. That friction disk is worn and I can see atleast 1 crack in the hub plate. Go grab a LUK clutch. there cheap but quality. Sachs is also good factory replacement. I have over 100k miles on my LUK. I think I got it from rock auto.
Am I looking at the bushing correctly. It appears like there are two bushings. I have to go through my pictures from my original swap. Hopefully I've have some of the pilot bushing install

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #253 (Edited)
Just talked to Randy of TDConversions. He says I need a PB 656 bronze bushing. I ordered a Luks clutch kit which comes with a throw-out bearing but I going to use the Chevrolet Delco OEM throwout bearing. I asked Randy is it a must to use this bushing. I had also ordered the pilot bearing before I removed the transmission not realizing I needed to replace the pressure plate and disk.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
The pilot bearing is slightly too small... How do I get the old bushing out. I tried autozone pilot bearing removal tool but the jaw are too big to get any grab. I broke the tool trying to get it tight enough. Do I need to use a bolt slightly bigger than the diameter of the bushing? About the only option i have.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #256 (Edited)
Will this clutch kit fit my chevy nv3500 tranny with a 153 tooth flywheel for an "internally balanced" or 2 piece rear nvwww.amazon.com/LuK-04-021-Clutch-Set/dp/B000CIAVEA
LC1675 MX is what I found on the pressure plate

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
With the help of Luk tech support I was able to find the correct clutch kit with numbers above and the numbers on disc T-NKK 11-12-13. I noticed cracks on the disc. I'm wondering if this clutch is strong enough

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Finally got the correct clutch kit. I have the GM OEM throw out bearing. I've installed the pressure plate and disc. In the process of installing the fork and throw out bearing. I noticed the throw out bearing appears to be loose. If I hold it downward it will just fall off. This fork is new. It was installed by the mechanic who basically did a crappy job about month ago. Not sure it is high quality. The videos I have watched, the throwout bearing appears to be tight.
Here is a video...Fork

·
Registered
267 Posts
Finally got the correct clutch kit. I have the GM OEM throw out bearing. I've installed the pressure plate and disc. In the process of installing the fork and throw out bearing. I noticed the throw out bearing appears to be loose. If I hold it downward it will just fall off. This fork is new. It was installed by the mechanic who basically did a crappy job about month ago. Not sure it is high quality. The videos I have watched, the throwout bearing appears to be tight.
Here is a video...Fork
Make sure the retention spring in the fork is not stretched. Just bend it back a little if so but once its in there it should be fine.

241 - 259 of 259 Posts