Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
301 - 311 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 · (Edited)
How many volts should I see at the IP solenoid? I see constant 13 volts. Shouldn't it start out 12-13v and continually drop.
Cold- starts immediately. Hot- log cranks. Looking at VagCom, 189 min before starting. Sometimes will hit 220? What does min stand for? On a hill I can have someone push the truck 1 foot and the engine will start immediately. It must be the starter. I've had the starter checked numerous times and verified a good start. Pump was leaking awhile back I replaced the fuel sensor. Getting error again. Verified no short in wire
16566 - Fuel Temp. Sensor A (G81)
P0182 - 35-10 - Short to GND - Intermittent

·
Registered
314 Posts
How many volts should I see at the IP solenoid? I see constant 13 volts. Shouldn't it start out 12-13v and continually drop.
Cold- starts immediately. Hot- log cranks. Looking at VagCom, 189 min before starting. Sometimes will hit 220? What does min stand for? On a hill I can have someone push the truck 1 foot and the engine will start immediately. It must be the starter. I've had the starter checked numerous times and verified a good start. Pump was leaking awhile back I replaced the fuel sensor. Getting error again. Verified no short in wire
16566 - Fuel Temp. Sensor A (G81)
P0182 - 35-10 - Short to GND - Intermittent
I think its time you throw in a spare ECU. You can also hotwire the IP solenoid to rule out ecu issues. It will actuate with as little as 9 volts. I would do that to see if the starter issues goes away.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
I think its time you throw in a spare ECU. You can also hotwire the IP solenoid to rule out ECU issues. It will actuate with as little as 9 volts. I would do that to see if the starter issues goes away.
I forgot to mention after purchasing a new wiring harness, the current ECM was not programmed for the glow plugs and I kept getting errors. I purchased an ECM from Fastforward with the correct tune. My glow plugs are working and no glow plug errors. So I know it's not the ECM. After hours of testing and not making headway I thought it must be the ECM but it wasn't. Cold starts immediately and when hot 7-8 cranks before starting. Pull off with another truck and fires up immediately. Once it cranks, lots of power. There has to be a reason. I wish I had a known good spare IP to test.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
My turbo was on and off and I decided to clean before attempting to find the issue. After starting, I sprayed some degreaser and I noticed bubbles around the turbo. It this repairable?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
I am going to purchase a new turbo. Not going to take a chance! With my current stock turbo, it fits 1/8 inch from the starter. From my research, I need a bhw manifold. What turbo would I need that closely matches the Garret GT1749v? I don't need more power than what I have.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
Pretty sure the borg warner that comes on a bhw is comparable to the 1749
Anyone have an idea if the BHW manifold will work with the current space between the block and firewall? About 8 inches
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Bumper Automotive tire

Here is how close the starter is to the current turbo. The solenoid does not last long

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle door

This why the starter so close. The fab company that bought Randy out put hole in the wrong place.
Automotive tire Fixture Font Auto part Circle

·
Registered
153 Posts
I tried looking for a bhw manifold when building my bus and they are hens teeth. It does rotate the turbo in a higher position but not sure how far out it sticks.

Could you put a starter blanket on the starter?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
I tried looking for a bhw manifold when building my bus and they are hens teeth. It does rotate the turbo in a higher position but not sure how far out it sticks.

Could you put a starter blanket on the starter?
I have a starter blanket on it now. On the TDI forum, PickleRick made suggestions that I should bore the other hole. I think I am going to take it to the machinist and he complete the bore.

301 - 311 of 311 Posts