Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so Ive been lurking for some time, doing a little bit of research here and there. I figure its about time I threw my plan out there, throw it to the wolves to see where Im going wrong and what Im planning right. without further ado.
throwing a 4bt(why else would I be here, guess thats obvious), under a 98 xcab ranger. planning a nv4500-203-205 driveline. hpd60 front with d70 rear. 4link on both ends with foa coilovers. Im shooting for a wheelbase of around 113. 3" body lift because its easy and will provide me more clearance and allow me to tuck the driveline up as high as possible. im looking at 24" under the belly, running 38.5 tsl sx.
I know mooktank had some clearance issues-hoping the 3" body lift will help that. at some point way down the road looking at exo cage.

my concerns- im not sure what to do for axle gearing.. ill get there eventually
wheel spin--I live in alaska, 200+" of rain a year, so everything is muddy, everything. its not that I do mud bogs or anything but all the trails are muddy and sloppy, will I get enough wheel spin to make it through, or should my masses and gobs of torque make up for that (I twiddle my fingers together and get this evil grin everytime I think about that torque)
weight- the sumbitch is heavy-too heavy??- its gonna see rocks, mud, stumps, logs, muskeg, you name it .. its not specifically a rock crawler or specifically a mud machine.

so there you have it-- Ive bared my soul, thrown my goals and plans to the wolves- tear it apart gents.

thanks.
iain
ps: this site kicks ass.
pss: feel free to move this to the personal introductions forum if need be.. I wasn't sure.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Just do it already!

If you need more power turn some screws and mess with turbos. I highly recommend high angle driveline to do your rear driveshaft and just build a square for the front. Works kickass.

I'd say you have a good combo going and the body lift should make things easier.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm in the process of this same conversion in my '95 x cab ranger. The issues I have also been seeing are with the bell housing clearance at the firewall. I have a Dodge NV4500 trans/241 transfer case. I haven't purchased the body lift yet, but see it as the only option for me. I am trying to retain the twin I beam. You might not have the same issues as you are looking to put in a straight axle. You may be able to sit the engine in the frame lower. I think you will need to change the steering from rack and pinion, to a box (like I have) if you put the solid axle in. If you locate the box in the stock location of the earlier trucks (twin I beam) your 4bt timing cover may interfere with the box. Mooktank says he doesn't have an issue, but remember, he has a sbf bellhousing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in the process of this same conversion in my '95 x cab ranger. The issues I have also been seeing are with the bell housing clearance at the firewall. I have a Dodge NV4500 trans/241 transfer case. I haven't purchased the body lift yet, but see it as the only option for me. I am trying to retain the twin I beam. You might not have the same issues as you are looking to put in a straight axle. You may be able to sit the engine in the frame lower. I think you will need to change the steering from rack and pinion, to a box (like I have) if you put the solid axle in. If you locate the box in the stock location of the earlier trucks (twin I beam) your 4bt timing cover may interfere with the box. Mooktank says he doesn't have an issue, but remember, he has a sbf bellhousing.
do to some transmission discussion Im reasonably certain I will be going with the zf. firewall clearance is interesting. you're keeping the TTB, so Im sure that does affect it some. My steering box will almost positively be outside the frame rail. steering will be manual- draglink with hydro assist eventually. Im still doing a lot of research, but I was curious as to initial opinions on this setup.

and darylb-- that wouldn't be any fun at all;)
mostly I just like to build stuff.. I suspect a lot of us have that problem

·
Registered
713 Posts
Even using the ZF I had to get in there with a sledge hammer and do some body modifications...

Luckily I was putting my cab on with an excavator so I could maneuver it around quite a bit.

I have video of it somewhere I'll toss it on youtube some day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts