Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm very far from being able to drive it (need to mount the intercooler and radiator, draglink and a host of little details), but I could not help but starting it for a few seconds :D :D :D

I purged a couple of injectors, but I think there is still quite a bit of air in the fuel system. I'm surprised it started at all, since *I* replaced the gov spring...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9kl1skQJ8Y

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul. I'm afraid I won't be able to drive it for many months, as the roads will get sprayed with salt pretty soon.

Two very good things I noticed: Vibrations at idle are noticeable but not too bad. And shut down death-shake is not bad at all. When I bought the breadvan, it shook the thing VERY badly :eek:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Thanks Paul. I'm afraid I won't be able to drive it for many months, as the roads will get sprayed with salt pretty soon.

Two very good things I noticed: Vibrations at idle are noticeable but not too bad. And shut down death-shake is not bad at all. When I bought the breadvan, it shook the thing VERY badly :eek:
I have the same problem. My M37 will be complete around Christmas with lots of Snow/Ice and SALT. I dint really want to load the underneath with tons of salt.

Paul

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good job on your swap. I just finished mine 3 weeks ago. I'll give you some advice on cheap, but very very durable undercoating. And cheap effective sound deadening.
Undercoating-At home depot in the roofing section they sell "henry's" brand of roof coatings. It comes in several varieties. Asphalt emulsion roof coat-water based and has fibers. Solvent based roof coat-oil based asphalt roof coat has fibers. Then there is this great product called Henry's solvent based lap cement-This is a solvent based asphalt coating with no fibers and it's less than $7 a gallon. Go buy a gallon of this a gallon of mineral spirits($5??) and a cheap plastic pump up garden sprayer(about $12). Wash the underneath of your truck with a pressure washer and let it dry. Then mix a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and henry's lap cement. Pour it in your sprayer and undercoat your truck with it. It is messy so don't do it in your driveway. It has been on my truck for 7 years now with no more rust(I even sprayed it over rust and there is no more decay).
Vibration/sound dampening-Go to boaters world and buy some cheap rubber rollers for boat trailers. Chop them to the proper thickness and use them between the tranny/transfer case and the frame and between body and frame if you want. They work well for a cheap body lift if you need a couple inches. Back to lowes for sound deadening. They sell a product in the carpet section on big rolls called "fatigue mat" it is 1/2" thick high density foam for standing on in a shop. It is about $.25 a square foot. It can be attached with contact cement used for countertops under the hood and on your floor. They have 1/4" foil backed adhesive foam duct insulation which is good for your firewall and in your doors. OVer this you can use foam backed fiberglass duct insulation. You can also stuff the fiberglass up under your dash. All these things added up in your old truck will deaden the noise of the 4Bt to close what it was with your gas engine without the insulation and new rubber..........Of course if your truck is to be a offroad machine you really don't want any fiberglass insulation as it will get sopping wet and you probably won't care about the noise anyway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
KEWL lookin' truck! And it won't take much to make it CLEAN!

I see some pretty neat stuff around here, but I can't even remember seeing a truck like this ever!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hooray, another Rhino grilled Jepp with a Cummins.

No Im not biased;)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet man - did you tape the video with the camera on the engine? Lotsa wobbly thar!
My neighbor had just walked home and I had noone to hold the camera, so I put it on the fender facing towards the VE pump. You can imagine what happened afterwards bounce

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KEWL lookin' truck! And it won't take much to make it CLEAN!

I see some pretty neat stuff around here, but I can't even remember seeing a truck like this ever!
Thank you. It looks like it has acne because I painted every area that had exposed metal with a rust-inhibitor paint, to avoid future rust. The truck came from CA and other than the floors, it is pretty much rust free.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Looks like you need a 6BT filter housing to clear the turbo!

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts