Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this truck for a good price and originally bought it for the motor.
I drove it around a bit, power steering, power brakes, auto trans, and thought, Hmmmm maybe I should do something with it besides yanking the motor and junking it.

Someone on another forum suggested I build "one of these" and posted a picture of one and I was hooked.

It started life as a Culligan Water Truck.
The frame was cut at the back of the cab and dropped back to the rear axle then up and over the axle then dropped again.
A large box was added with roll up doors on the sides and it hauled water bottles.
Then at some point someone cut the box off, leaving the floor and put a form of flatbed on it with ramps at the back for hauling bobcats.
It got worked pretty good and had a few oil leaks that just made a mess from front to rear.
224K miles but it ran pretty good, except for the blown head gasket.

First thing I did is cut the old beds off, what a bunch of work!!
Then I shortened the frame to fit a bed I found on craigslist.
The frame was another labor of love.
It would have been much easier if the frame had been stock, but I got it stuck back together with another tube under the splice and plates on the sides over each splice. It aint going nowhere!

Next I bought some new dually fenders and modified them to bolt onto the side of the srw bed.
That worked out good and the manufacture of the fiberglass fenders wanted pictures of what I did. LOL
The bed needed to be raised about 7" above the frame to match the cab lines so I made another sub-frame to sit the bed on.

A local shop shortened the drive shaft.

I ditched the muffler and made up my own straight 4" exaust pipe out the back and dumped it down just behind the rear tire.

Oh yeah, the rear tires.
I was looking for used rubber and thinking duals but I stumbled across these supper singles on Alcoas and thought they would be perfect.
Now I needed alcoas for the front. Jeeze, it never stops. LOL I found some and put new tires on them.

Now I could drive it and see if I wanted to go further.
I liked it and my buddies thought it was cool so I dug into the motor.

A new head from Pure Diesel Power was the same cost as doing everything to the head I had, so it got a new head.
Along with that I fixed and cleaned a bunch of stuff including having the radiator built.

Radiator- the radiator shop called and said 100% blocked and we cant rod it out.
I asked how much for a new one and the answer was in the hundreds, like $600-800.
I went there and told them I would take a shot at it and they looked at me like I was crazy.
Its a brass radiator with crimped on plastic tanks.
I took the bottom tank off and rodded from the bottom up with some thinner rods I made.
2 hours I had it cleared and flowing clean water.
The radiator shop put it back together and pressure tested it. $80.
He was happy to have the new stainless rods I made.

A good wash job in the cab, reupholstered the seat, carpet and insulation, rubber mat, and thats done.

I also added a small truck crane that I put a new paint job on.
Its a Venturo with a 9' boom, rated at 2200 lbs, just enough to pick up a Cummins engine. LOL
I always wanted one for picking up heavy stuff and it works great.
BTW, I used it to install the new head and it was a piece of cake.

It could use overdrive.
The trans is an AT 545.
I scored a 6041 Brownie box with cross members, mounts and shifter.
This will be the subject of another thread.

I have a rear bumper in the works and plans for a new front bumper.

Now onto the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
Really well done, amazing how well it all matched up. Now let's see the engine.....

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I've seen several of these home built with Fords I'm partial to the crew cab versions (usu built from RR and county trucks IIRC). SportChassis has been building them on new med duty trucks for a while now. Typically powered by either a Cat or Cummins. They can usu be bought for around $40-60K with stupid low miles on an essentially new truck that can work an F350-450 and the Dodge/GM counterparts into the ground for about the same money they want for a new diesel pickup! They don't come in 4x4 very often, though. I like the Ford based trucks like yours since they seem to have a lower profile overall. I'd love to see one built off a new International truck with their super cool retro grill like a '30's Ford. I saw a few pics of a pickup version when they were debuting their new body but I don't know if it was just photoshopped or real.
Yes do tell what engine you've got in yours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I bought me a blue star so I can post up more pictures.bounce

Nothing special about the engine except for its not covered in oil and dirt and it doesn't leak...... much.

Also a couple shots of the interior.
It cleaned up nicely.
It also got a lot quieter with the insulation and carpet.

A few pictures of using the crane to put the head on.
It took 4 of us to take it off. LOL

One shot of a buddy giving himself a ride in the bosun chair.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cool build.:smokin::smokin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you don't mind me asking what turbo do you have in that truck and is it still the stock one? I recently purchased a turbo without a tag and was told it came off of a 98 F800. I am needing to rebuild it but don't know what it is to get the kit.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
26 Posts
nice setup, i also have 2 F-800 fords, a 1995 with a 5.9, 6spd, airbrakes, hub pioleted wheels, 13,500 original miles, x-utility company truck, curently set up to pull a gooseneck trailer, my other truck is a 1999, 5.9, allison, hydrolic brakes, ac, hub poileted wheels, 140,000 miles with a 24 ft box, 255" wheelbase, plans are to do simular to yours, cut the extra frame off, drill the frame and slide the axel ahead, and add a dualy box like you have, i have 2 questions, where did you get the carpet for the floor and doghouse, what aftermarket company makes the rear fenders you used in your build, good usable dually boxes in the northeast without major rust are very hard to find, thanks for any info, ed

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I like it! Would have been nice to have a crew cab or at least a super cab but it's still sweet as is. That interior looks great.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Very nice ride. That Allison AT545 isn't the greatest of transmissions. A lot of them were used in MD trucks and school buses. See a lot of those sold with their engines because there isn't much demand for them. Also, most of those don't have a lock up torque converter so you loose a lot of power. Be nice to retrofit an Allison 1000. Not sure how a Brownie would work with the 545 since you don't have a clutch. Sure can't shift on the fly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you don't mind me asking what turbo do you have in that truck and is it still the stock one? I recently purchased a turbo without a tag and was told it came off of a 98 F800. I am needing to rebuild it but don't know what it is to get the kit.

Thanks
Jeff
Not sure but I will see if I can identify it. Not sure its even stock to tell you the truth. I suspect it might not be.
I do have the factory manual. I wonder if a part number from that will help you. For that matter, maybe the ford dealer could tell you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice setup, i also have 2 F-800 fords, a 1995 with a 5.9, 6spd, airbrakes, hub pioleted wheels, 13,500 original miles, x-utility company truck, curently set up to pull a gooseneck trailer, my other truck is a 1999, 5.9, allison, hydrolic brakes, ac, hub poileted wheels, 140,000 miles with a 24 ft box, 255" wheelbase, plans are to do simular to yours, cut the extra frame off, drill the frame and slide the axel ahead, and add a dualy box like you have, i have 2 questions, where did you get the carpet for the floor and doghouse, what aftermarket company makes the rear fenders you used in your build, good usable dually boxes in the northeast without major rust are very hard to find, thanks for any info, ed
the carpet was done by an upholstery guy. Actually, just a friend with a sewing machine. We laid it out in the cab and after a little head scratching, came up with a plan. A few slices here and there leaving 1/2" to sew up the cuts and then the border tape to make it look "store bought" . its all glued down with contact cement. The access panel carpet is glued to the access panel with a little overlap flap.

The fenders were just something i found on line. I will have to check and see who it was. The deciding factor for me on those fenders is that he was selling them for $100 each. I guess the guy he had trimming them took a little too much off somewhere. He told me between 1/8"- 3/16" on one edge, but I could not tell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Ed,
I got the fenders from - wallisduallyfenders.com
He has them all on his website with prices.

·
Registered
26 Posts
thank you for the information and the link, my goal is to have my truck look as if ford built it, your carpet guy did a fantastic job, ed

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The picture of the guy in a sling, held up with the lift, had me laughing! The picture with the truck split in two pieces was also pretty good.

How do you like the truck with such a short wheelbase? You shortened the wheelbase a ton.

I'm looking forward to more pictures!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love the short wheelbase. I swear, it has a tighter turning radius than my Ford Ranger!!
Its fun to drive and with the exception of the mushy transmission its pretty sporty, ..... in a baby Huey sort of way.
I like to pull right up to the front door of my coffee shop, sliding right into a normal parking spot.
"Its just a little pickup truck" I tell them. LOL

2 things I dont like, the time it takes to warm up and the ride.
I have let the pressure in the tires down from 120 psi to 60 psi and its better but I think 30 or 40 psi would be fine.
I'm still experimenting.

Here is a few more pictures, some of the frame in process and one of the rubber mat I put on top of the carpet due to a dirty driveway at the shop. I thought I would try to keep the carpet nice for a while anyway.

So I find this ford bed for $100!!!! 4 hours away. I was so excited to get up early the next day and go get it that I got to the sellers place and realized I had forgot the trailer! No way was I gonna do the trip again, so we loaded it and off I went. Everything worked out ok.

One of my favorites is the 3 super singles in the bed of he ranger. The parts for this truck are enormous compared to what I'm use to.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let me try that again with the rubber mat picture.

You can see the frame coming together and then plated over the frame connections and bolted at the rear spring mount.
The notch at the front of the plate was notched around the double frame on the front frame section.
At that point, the sides of the plated frame were flat and even.
Not shown here is the last plate I put over that notch in the front.
Everything is overlapped and welded.
The plates were 1/4" thick.
Its important how you weld on a frame and avoid vertical welds that create a heat affected zone from top to bottom as it could crack and fail at that point.
Thats why I overlapped the vertical welds with plate, welded on the horizontal and bolted.
Keep in mind, the only reason all this had to be done is because of the original modification to the frame had to be reversed.

And yes, there are some frames you shouldn't weld on, this wasn't one of them (at least in the judgement of the original modifiers for Culligan Water. LOL)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
If you want to improve the ride quality think about doing an air suspension system. Those springs are basically like rocks on such a light truck. Of course you could load 4 or 5 tons in the bed and that would help. LOL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know much about the frame plating on a f800 I have an 85 f800 with frame plating probably 8 feet long from the cab to a few feet past it to the rear and I cannot find my hidden vin for the chp inspection .is it under that plating I've seriously removed paint from the frame for over a week now trying to get my out of state registered in Cali.my rear axle has been moved forward to about 12 foot wheelbase from a 255 wheelbase .any help on here would be awesome I found frame codes on the passenger side but no vin .please someone help me thanks guys .any help will be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Anyone know much about the frame plating on a f800 I have an 85 f800 with frame plating probably 8 feet long from the cab to a few feet past it to the rear and I cannot find my hidden vin for the chp inspection .is it under that plating I've seriously removed paint from the frame for over a week now trying to get my out of state registered in Cali.my rear axle has been moved forward to about 12 foot wheelbase from a 255 wheelbase .any help on here would be awesome I found frame codes on the passenger side but no vin .please someone help me thanks guys .any help will be greatly appreciated
VIN is usually on the firewall.

Randy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts