Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about these engines? Are they reliable and what did they come? thanks seth

·
Registered
397 Posts
Italian made. I've only seen them in Iveco trucks. There is an engine equivalent in size to 4BT and also in a ~5-6 liter 6 cylinder. Of course they probably have made other engines too these are just the ones I checked out a few years ago. I don't know about reliability or parts availability.

Ken

·
Super Moderator
8,812 Posts
Part of the Fiat group and I think there's another brand name tied up in there too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Part of the Fiat group and I think there's another brand name tied up in there too.
Alot of the Ford comercial trucks use Iveco engines over here in England from 1 ton thru tractor trailers they merged the vehicles are called Iveco-Ford very reliable inexpensive trucks

·
Super Moderator
8,812 Posts
Alot of the Ford comercial trucks use Iveco engines over here in England from 1 ton thru tractor trailers they merged the vehicles are called Iveco-Ford very reliable inexpensive trucks
Yes that's it, New-Holland which used be the the Ford/Fiat Industrial/Agricultural branch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
The was a manufacturer here that uses Iveco motors, both the 4l 4cyl and the 6l cyl. They are very similar to the Cummins 6bt in size as well as the power rating, just that the iveco in a bit more longer than the Cummins so just had to settle for a 6bt in my 66'Patrol. Also the Iveco is a lot quiter than the 6bt, as far as the 6cyl versions are concerned, coz i never have heard a 4bt.
Regards,
Bikram

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi,
The was a manufacturer here that uses Iveco motors, both the 4l 4cyl and the 6l cyl. They are very similar to the Cummins 6bt in size as well as the power rating, just that the iveco in a bit more longer than the Cummins so just had to settle for a 6bt in my 66'Patrol. Also the Iveco is a lot quiter than the 6bt, as far as the 6cyl versions are concerned, coz i never have heard a 4bt.
Regards,
Bikram
Can you post some pictures of your patrol with the 6bt

·
Registered
16 Posts
theee ivecooo were consossrtium of traucks parts manufacaterers,,,, electrraical systems were one coampany,,, bodies by another,,,, differeant engines transmissiosnss,,fraom differeant caountries,,, if supposedsly to be sold in france,, they had peugueot engines,,,,, germanyyy had deutz aircooled,,the itallian versiaon weree aifo,,,,fiat,,, i have had iveco with five cyalinder and sixx f5L912 and f6L912, with the aifo,ihave seen many in hte yards missing headss,, they were problematic with the alumianaum heads in hte us,usually droppeddd valve seats,,,,may be jsut hard footedd ameraican drivers, buck,,,,alll versiaons were imported heree, with all differeant engnianes, transmissionss,,,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, but i am currently building the patrol. A huge problem seems to be the gearbox. It is a Nissan 4 speeder with a 7.13 first, used in truck that is a copy of the Dodge M37. The gearbox seems to be some sort of a copied Sm420. I dont know if it will hold up to the Cummins, and i have no choice either, as the Allisons and the Zf heavy duties are just to long to fit in the Patrol. I bought a Ve pump Cummins some while ago but returned it back for the time being. The P-pump Cummins costs the same here, but since i am not going to go above 250hp and 3000rpm(the drivetrain wouldnt take it, and dont have enough space to fit an intercooler,so Egt's will be a problem),i really cannot decide what version to go for. as far as my experiance goes, ive always found that the inline pumps make more noise, and the rotary pumps are more smoother all round. So maybe thats the deciding factor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ivecco=cummins

ivecco is actually a form of the cummins. they are made in europe and some of the bigger ones are almost duplicates of the cummins minius some of the outside block accys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have recently got one of the 4.5l versions but i have no clue what i need for a trans. Its going into a bronco 2 an any ideas would be nice.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is an Iveco truck in a yard near me. Its hit in the rear, motor & all is still in good shape. The truck looks like a bread truck, its a 6 cylinder no turbo motor with an auto trans. Motor has FIAT cast in the top. I can get motor & trans for $800 if anybody wants it.

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, I'll kick the cat. They are junk. I was an Izuzu/Iveco/Mitsubishi-Fuso machanic for ten years back in the 80s. Now mabey a lot has change but all three sucked. The isuzu was the best by far. Perhaps in the lastn 30 years they got better. Just my opinion..MM

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
if supposedsly to be sold in france,, they had peugueot engines
are you crazy??? iveco trucks NEVER were avaliable with peugeot engines... iveco was a merging of fiat, alfa romeo and lancia trucks divisions and magirus-deutz...

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
maybe some iveco trucks and vans will be sold in the u.s. badged as ram... but i'm still not sure if they will really offer the daily van series, rear-wheel driven but hated by a lot of brazilian firefighters and ambulance officers due to its not so good stability or if they will offer the fwd fiat ducato series, both using iveco engines... dailies usually have the 3.0L 4cyl and ducatos are offered in south american countries that import the brazilian version just with the 2.3L one, while in chile there's the european version with the 3.0L...

·
Hangs Out With Dogs
2,588 Posts
FIATs are nice cars, but alas they aren't very practical. It's pretty common knowledge that IVECO lost quality when they quit putting DEUTZ engines in their trucks around 1984. FIAT had purchased MAGIRUS and branded the new trucks IVECO in the 70's and to SAVE MONEY they put their own engines in. Them dang Deuz engines cost over twice what the IVECO did. Hmm. Wonder why? On the other hand. You could find a nice running FIAT and put i in your truck and have it run until your an old man. It's a matter of chance. Hey rOoStEr. What does it look like where you are? Pics?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts