Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sky Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle

So, I found this 1980 Z100 with the Deutz F5L912 down about 30 miles south of L.A.
Was slated to be picked up and taken to a scrap yard. I convinced the owner it would be in better hands if he let me take it.
The truck was last run in 2001, when it was parked and turned into a dry storage shed.

We put batteries in it, fresh motor oil and filter, and fresh fuel. Cranked it with the fuel cutoff until it made some oil pressure, then turned it over exactly 1 revolution with the fuel on and it fired right up and ran like it hadn't sat for more than a day. Man do these motors sound great. Trailered it back to Oregon, now just trying to decide what to do with it...
The truck cab is in rough condition, just like all the other Iveco trucks of this vintage that I've seen. They seem like they were not built so well. Rusty floor, and door bottoms, rust spots in the cab roof, and a bit around the windshield. Not horrible though. I've seen much worse in other Iveco Z100's over the years. The electrics are all a mess, and the bushings on the oddly placed shifter are totally gone, and so it can't be put into reverse. The body on the back is all fiberglass, and it's in fine condition, as is the oak plank floor in the rear. I found a brand new set of six tires in the back of the truck, and figured I might as well mount them. They are a weird size. I have nothing else they would have fit on. The truck has a nice lift gate on the back. Brakes are totally shot, but parts are on order for that. Clutch seems fine. We drove it around the block a few times and it seemed like it wanted to be put back to work.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Steering wheel
Wood Flooring Rectangle Floor Hardwood

The cab does not tilt forward on these trucks, so it makes getting to the motor, other than the top side really difficult. But from what I can see over the front wheels and crawling around underneath, it seems dry as a bone. We let it run for an hour or so and didn't notice any oil leaks. Only leak was ATF, from a rusted power steering line. It has a vacuum pump mounted on the lower passenger side, a large alternator and the power steering pump. Looks like it had an AC pump at one point, but it is no longer there. No other accessories are mounted on the motor. One curious thing I found is a diesel fired cabin heater, that is mounted under the passenger area of the cab, and plumed into the heating system. It also has an oil air exchanger where you might normally expect there to be a coolant heater core. I thought maybe the cabin heater was also used to pre-heat the engine, but didn't find any way that the oil could be circulated with the engine off. I'm curious to hear if anybody else here has experience with these odd machines. At the very least, i've got an awesome Deutz motor to think about swapping into something else. But part of me thinks that this little truck could make an awesome motorcycle / toy hauler. Or maybe a camper conversion? What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L with all of it's problems
11 Posts
Nice find! Them Deutz's never die. Keep good oil in it and it will live longer than the rest of the truck. We have a F6L413FR with 39,000 hrs. and counting. Only maintenance done is oil change every 500 hrs., keep the fins clean, and adjust the valves.

Reactions: Dr.Detroit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice find! Them Deutz's never die. Keep good oil in it and it will live longer than the rest of the truck. We have a F9L413FR with 39,000 hrs. and counting. Only maintenance done is oil change every 500 hrs., keep the fins clean, and adjust the valves.
I'm running Delo 100 40WT. No smoke at start up. I do hear a faint knock at idle when cold. Hopefully not something serious. Have not really been able to load the motor and get it up to temp. Surprisingly these motors run really cool at idle in moderate climate temps. It's in the mid 50s here in October.

I just took delivery of the maintenance manual, so I'll be going through the material to learn about the various adjustments that this motor needs.

If you have any sage tips i would be all ears! Thanks for the reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts