Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just bought a HY35 and it came with a J-hook. I've never seen such a thing before, but I'm assuming it causes the wastegate to open at a higher pressure, increasing boost. I have a CPL 858 4BT with the rotary pump and might be using a volvo intercooler - Should I keep the J-hook?
Thanks,
Mikel

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,618 Posts
Could you post a photo of the J-hook. I have no idea what this is.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone? :confused:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I know some use J hooks to keep the wastegate shut instead if welding. Not sure if this application is such. Not sure this helps any, but thats all I got

·
Registered
197 Posts
I found out the same thing. IT delays the opening of the gate. I would not even use it or connect the waste gate air inlet. My Hy35W is running at 27-28 psi right now full throttle and fuel turned up just shy of runaway conditions and I do not have the waste gate hooked up. It really accelerates great once you get up in the 20+ psi range and the RPM's are above 2100-2200 rpm. The HY35W seems to really take off on pressures when you get above these RPM's. That said, you really want the 3200 rpm (OMG) spring. BTW I should be doing a dyno either this saturday or next Saturday to see what these setting with the HY35W are translating too. I will post the graphs.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I found out the same thing. IT delays the opening of the gate. I would not even use it or connect the waste gate air inlet. My Hy35W is running at 27-28 psi right now full throttle and fuel turned up just shy of runaway conditions and I do not have the waste gate hooked up. It really accelerates great once you get up in the 20+ psi range and the RPM's are above 2100-2200 rpm. The HY35W seems to really take off on pressures when you get above these RPM's. That said, you really want the 3200 rpm (OMG) spring. BTW I should be doing a dyno either this saturday or next Saturday to see what these setting with the HY35W are translating too. I will post the graphs.
bringing this back to life...Howd it go?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts