Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PIC down a few threads

Thought I would go ahead and post up.

I have an 80 J10 longbed. Just did the body work and painted it gunmetal metallic. Has Rhino grille conversion. Dana 60s front and rear (4.10s....open for now). BJs Offroad custom prototype winch bumper.

Heres whats going in. 4BTA, NV4500, dana 300, NP205. Previous owner put the 60s in......front is a dynatrac:smokin: with drivers side drop. To get it to work, he used a divorced ford 205 case to feed the front. By running the above layout and putting a short driveshaft between the d300 and 205, I have a cheap doubler. And a final drive ratio of 119:1:smokin: Oh yeah, recentered 12 bolt hummer wheels with Goodyear 36s. Cheap and easy to replace.

Im going for an expedition style vehicle I can drive daily, off road, in Uganda, whatever. What do yall think?

Currently need the ctd 4x4 nv4500 and p30 motor mounts. If you have a bead on either...shoot me a message.

Ill post truck as it sits now if you like.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like a cool project. I to would like to see some pictures of it. My only sugestion (from experience) is to replace the rear output shaft of the dana 300 with a good aftermarket one. These are known for breaking especially when you double up on t cases. Then putting a torquee little diesel infront of it you are waiting for disaster. Remove that weak link and you should be pretty bullet proof.
Good luck hope it helps.
Derek

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
UPloaded pic

Here is the truck after and before...... it now sits on metric 35s and has badging from a 67 denoting a 327. Other than that it is as appears

Attachments

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
PIC down a few threads

Thought I would go ahead and post up.

I have an 80 J10 longbed. Just did the body work and painted it gunmetal metallic. Has Rhino grille conversion. Dana 60s front and rear (4.10s....open for now). BJs Offroad custom prototype winch bumper.

Heres whats going in. 4BTA, NV4500, dana 300, NP205. Previous owner put the 60s in......front is a dynatrac:smokin: with drivers side drop. To get it to work, he used a divorced ford 205 case to feed the front. By running the above layout and putting a short driveshaft between the d300 and 205, I have a cheap doubler. And a final drive ratio of 119:1:smokin: Oh yeah, recentered 12 bolt hummer wheels with Goodyear 36s. Cheap and easy to replace.

Im going for an expedition style vehicle I can drive daily, off road, in Uganda, whatever. What do yall think?

Currently need the ctd 4x4 nv4500 and p30 motor mounts. If you have a bead on either...shoot me a message.

Ill post truck as it sits now if you like.
Are you still needing a CTD Nv4500?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here is the truck after and before...... it now sits on metric 35s and has badging from a 67 denoting a 327. Other than that it is as appears
looks great!!

how much modification was needed to install the cummins setup? i have a 78 wagoneer that i'm considering a swap and it seems like most folk need to do quite a bit of lift mods - which i'm not all too worried about, i already have a SOA w/ 1 tons.

oh yea - off topic - is that a BJs Prerunner front bumper?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4B isnt in yet. as soon as I get the trans, Ill have it put in. The dimensions of the 4b are smaller than the 6.2 that is in there. I dont anticipate any problems there. Ill try and dig the dimensions of the 4b up if that helps!

Austin

·
Registered
187 Posts
4B isnt in yet. as soon as I get the trans, Ill have it put in. The dimensions of the 4b are smaller than the 6.2 that is in there. I dont anticipate any problems there. Ill try and dig the dimensions of the 4b up if that helps!

Austin
That'd be great - I just started a thread about the 4/6BT differences as I'm trying to decide which would be a better fit for the wagoneer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would also be concerned about the D300 output. However, instead of putting money into the D300, why not just do the tried and true NP203-NP205 married doubler? It would be much stronger and would probably cost about the same as an aftermarket D300 output with the modified shaft to connect the D300 to the NP205.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why not a married doubler

the dana 300 32 spline output shaft cost me 265 new(I should have mentioned this way up there.....the stock output is weak and needs attention). i can have the driveshaft that is in now cut down and balanced for 45. It will be 300 for the adapter input gear. True I can go the married doubler for the same $, but I am going with the expedition theme. One of the "tricks up my sleeve" is to center the divorced case so My driveshafts are the same length...... then I can carry one spare shaft and Im good for either one breaking:grinpimp:

It probably doesnt make much sense to most.....thats ok.......thats what makes our rigs different and "ours".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cool, I didn't realize the D300 was already upgraded. Having your F & R driveshafts being the same is definitely nice when it comes to carrying spares. Good luck with the truck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wetting the appetites

Its been a while so here is what has happened. CrewCab59 is doing the conversion. I was going to drive the truck to his place, and it throw a rod and cracked the block. The sorry 6.2 knew its fate was sealed and it proteseted being replaced.

Motor and everything else that needs to be removed is out. Its assembly time! Weather permitting Saturday, I should have some pics of the motor in the truck for fitting!

Postings and progress should be more frequent so stay tuned!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

There is now a 13 inch south bend living on the cummins! My stock CPL ratings were 350 TQ. Any adjustments beyond that would push the 400 TQ clutch I had to go in it. Bit the bullet and did it right fro the start.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
trial fitting

Here are some pics of the first trial fittings. I am going to need a 6b manifold capped to make it a high front mount (if you can do this, send me a pm.....I got $$$$ in hand). The nice thing about a Rhino Grille is I can remove it and work on the front of the motor without pulling it;)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Truck looks real nice, I see you are doing it right, Fleetguard filters SBC which one by the way? You even have the inline pump (me too). I must be a wimp cos it looks cold to me. Keep the pics comming, are you using a dodge nv4500?

Gaza

1 - 20 of 107 Posts