13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here it's my litle project...

2006 Duramax Engine with about 60.000 miles
Nv4500 Gm tranny with Dodge HD Input shaft
Np205 t-case
Front Dana 60
Rear stock silverado axle (11.5 AMM)
The chassis is from a chevy express (or something like that)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Willy's and Jeeps were my specialty in the early 90's when I worked for the Jeep Doctor.I always wanted to build a diesel Jeep so this build is already one of my top favs.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I always wanted to build a diesel Jeep so this build is already one of my top favs.
i always had belief diesels seems to be perfect for jeeps, specially those mechanically-injected as there are no issues about ignition, modules and insulation to protect from excessive water, just a snorkel and (often) a higher exhaust end and you could have a "waterproof" engine... i had already even thought about how to convert a duramax into mechanically-injected to avoid some wiring and waterproofing issues...

·
Registered
42 Posts
i always had belief diesels seems to be perfect for jeeps, specially those mechanically-injected as there are no issues about ignition, modules and insulation to protect from excessive water, just a snorkel and (often) a higher exhaust end and you could have a "waterproof" engine... i had already even thought about how to convert a duramax into mechanically-injected to avoid some wiring and waterproofing issues...
I was thinking about that myself. can't be very hard?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I was thinking about that myself. can't be very hard?
i believe it wouldn't be the easiest way to go... i already believe the hardest part would be to retain the stock power/torque rating, but for the pump (or maybe 2 pumps) could be used a belt-driven (or maybe chain-driven) system...

·
Registered
324 Posts
If deep water crossing are a consideration,a non turbo engine or air cooled engine would be perfect.Hot turbos have a bad habit of exploding when they submerge in cold water.Seen one throw the wheel through the hood.Sounded like a grenade.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
If deep water crossing are a consideration,a non turbo engine or air cooled engine would be perfect.Hot turbos have a bad habit of exploding when they submerge in cold water.Seen one throw the wheel through the hood.Sounded like a grenade.
i never heard about this problem with turbos...

btw look this video:

a brazilian wrangler replica fitted with the same turbodiesel engine used in brazilian s10 in a flood day in são paulo...

but if non-turbo aircooleds are better to deep water crossing i don't know what i'm waiting to get a toyota fj40 and a deutz F4L913 to adapt into it (actually i know: MONEY and a decent garage)...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I assume the chassis would be to handle to torque of the duramax- I don't see the rig staying together if you didn't put a stiffer/stronger frame..

·
Registered
324 Posts
i never heard about this problem with turbos...

btw look this video:

a brazilian wrangler replica fitted with the same turbodiesel engine used in brazilian s10 in a flood day in são paulo...

but if non-turbo aircooleds are better to deep water crossing i don't know what i'm waiting to get a toyota fj40 and a deutz F4L913 to adapt into it (actually i know: MONEY and a decent garage)...

It's probably not an issue on stock or lightly modified turbo engines.The guy that went off roading with us had a heavily modified diesel and he was geared to keep the turbo spooled up.This kept the turbo running hot and when the cast iron turbo was submerged in 40*F water,it exploded.I was behind him crossing the river when it happened.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I assume the chassis would be to handle to torque of the duramax- I don't see the rig staying together if you didn't put a stiffer/stronger frame..
He could box the chassis and run tube style cross members.Boxing the chassis was the first thing we did when we built a high articulating Jeep with a V8.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
It's probably not an issue on stock or lightly modified turbo engines.The guy that went off roading with us had a heavily modified diesel and he was geared to keep the turbo spooled up.
i never heard about this kind of problem not even in some rally vehicles with heavily modified diesels... maybe because of some differences between the materials used to make a racing-developed turbo and a regular turbo...

·
Registered
324 Posts
i never heard about this kind of problem not even in some rally vehicles with heavily modified diesels... maybe because of some differences between the materials used to make a racing-developed turbo and a regular turbo...
I kind of overstated it when I said,"turbos have a bad habit of exploding when submerged in cold water".I had heard others say that they had turbos blow when in water.The guy that was with us is the only first hand experience I had with it happening.I admit,there could have been other factors not known.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I kind of overstated it when I said,"turbos have a bad habit of exploding when submerged in cold water".I had heard others say that they had turbos blow when in water.The guy that was with us is the only first hand experience I had with it happening.I admit,there could have been other factors not known.
i've already never seen any turbo exploding... maybe some turbos made out of steel instead of cast iron can resist better... btw have you ever heard about some turbos made out of ceramic composites?

·
Registered
324 Posts
i've already never seen any turbo exploding... maybe some turbos made out of steel instead of cast iron can resist better... btw have you ever heard about some turbos made out of ceramic composites?
I haven't heard of any made of ceramic composite,but you probably already know that in the US people tend to ceramic coat turbo housing to keep under hood temps down.Looks good also.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I haven't heard of any made of ceramic composite,but you probably already know that in the US people tend to ceramic coat turbo housing to keep under hood temps down.Looks good also.
i've heard about those ceramic turbos but they would be found just in some experimental applications... btw maybe this ceramic coating can improve the safety for the turbo not explode (but actually i don't know if this can happen with a stock duramax)...

·
Registered
210 Posts
The turbo is mounted within the intake valley of the duramax. If you happen to sink the entire motor in water, I would be more concerned with soaking the factory PCM and injector driver. Turbo should be fine uless you're trying to climb a waterfall ...rofl

·
Registered
324 Posts
The turbo is mounted within the intake valley of the duramax. If you happen to sink the entire motor in water, I would be more concerned with soaking the factory PCM and injector driver. Turbo should be fine uless you're trying to climb a waterfall ...rofl

HAHA.I did that in my Jeep years ago.It was only a 4 foot water fall.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
If you happen to sink the entire motor in water, I would be more concerned with soaking the factory PCM and injector driver.
this would really be a huge problem... but there are some ways to enclose at least the pcm into a waterproof box and using the right electrical wiring connectors (no workarounds or exposed pieces of wiring)...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts