Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Jeep is almost complete. One problem... no engine. Here's what I have so far:

1980 CJ-7, NV4500/Dana 300, 9" Ford front and rear, 33" tires. The axles are not gear'd yet.

I'm looking to install a 4bt. Here are my questions:

Which engine/cpl should I look for? Are some better than others? Does anyone make engine mounts or do I have to make my own? Where should I set the cruising rpm's?

Sorry about all the questions. I used the search and couldn't find any CJ-7 specific answers. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sorry about all the questions. I used the search and couldn't find any CJ-7 specific answers. Thanks guys.
:maggie: I think there's probably 5-6 guys on here working on CJ's myself included.

Are you sure you searched? Try some different search criteria - I know there's several links to popular Info in the FAQ sticky thread

http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I searched again (different input) and came up with a few answers.

Opinion on RPM's seems to be around 1800 @ 60mph. That said, 4.10 gears will work. Also, I found that engine mounts will have to be fab'd.

I'll keep searching. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
500 Posts
As far as mounts - I'm going with a stock-dodge type mount, the square, rubber mount mounted at 45 degrees against the frame. J-box Johnny used a veritcle type liquid filled mount. It's all about preference. You'll have to lift your jeep and/or go with a springover in a CJ to make the thing fit since the engine is so tall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered my axles spring over. I'm thinking they added about 4 1/2" lift over a spring under. Will this be enough?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Depends on how you fab up your mounts & your hood / differential clearances. I would assume it's plenty of room unless you're one that welds first and measures later :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts