Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gathering more parts and more questions.
I have a 3.9 BT and just aquired a 700R4 and a NP208.
My questions are does anybody know if you can flip a NP208 to a drivers side drop? and does anybody make a short outputshaft with a slip yoke eliminator?
any help would be greatly appreciated

:beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
10 Posts
No you can't flip. All NP series cases have an oiling system with an oil pick up tube. It could be possible, but not worth the time for a NP208.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Wilks

I didn't know

No you can't flip. All NP series cases have an oiling system with an oil pick up tube. It could be possible, but not worth the time for a NP208.

·
Registered
915 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
has anyone heard of a clocking ring for a GM 241? im mounting my 4BT stright and the trans tilted the 10degrees but dont want the t-case to hang that low

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
yes the clocking ring fits the 208/241/d300 setup. ebay has'em. th400/4l80 uses the 32 spline, 700r uses 27 spline. you can get a ford 205 and put a dodge input gear in it if you want driver drop.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
205 is passenger drop.
Ford used NP205's with Drivers side drop. Even so IIRC the NP205 can be flipped since it does not have the said oiling system that the chain driven NP series have. At least the two Ford NP205 t-cases i have do not have any oiling system. If you swap from any of the aluminum NP t-cases to a 205 then you will need to make a substantial t-case support. The aluminum trans adapter will not support the extra weight of the iron case 205.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
build up plan

I'm about to finalize by parts list for my cummins build up on my 88 YJ and wanted to bounce my idea off some of you to see if I missed any thing.
We'll start with the engine, it'a a 3.9 cummins turbo diesel. Its rated at 120 HP. It came with a chevy automatic transmission adaptor. I'm attaching a 700R4 with a diesel convertor for bottom end grunt.
For a transfercase I'm going with a NP241-C. It will need a super short SYE so I won't have to attach the transfercase to the rear diff. I will order JB Conversions Super short kit.
For Diffs I'm going to go with a Ford 9 inch in the rear and a Dana 44 in the front both geared at 4.10, out of a Bronco. I plan on a spring over when I install them so the lift for the 33's won't be an issue.

Once I get the drive line mocked up I can measure for drive shafts and exhaust. I know I will have to get additional springs in the front to accomadate an addition 300 LBs of weight(engine and winch). I'm going to tilt the engine and leave the tranny flat for ground clearance on the transfer case

Any comments or concerns will be gladly accepted. Any good leads on parts that I may have overlooked please PM me.
THX
The Duck

·
Registered
200 Posts
whats your plans for the intercooler if you have one. im doing a similer swap in a 94yj with an air to air intercooler and the amount of space is really gonna be a problem id like to position the motor as far front as i can to keep my drive shaft reasonable

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
whats your plans for the intercooler if you have one. im doing a similer swap in a 94yj with an air to air intercooler and the amount of space is really gonna be a problem id like to position the motor as far front as i can to keep my drive shaft reasonable
I'm going to stack an air to air in front of the rad and then use electric fans. I talked to a man from south texas that has completed this swap on the web , he used an intercooler out of a Mac truck. I saw pictures of it, it was a very clean installation. I hope mine is as clean as his was. I don't think I'll have as many high temperatures issues as he has though.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I think that guy from TX who supposedly used a Mack truck air to air intercooler in a Jeep is blowing smoke. The dang heater core on a Mack is bigger than a Jeep radiator let alone a Mack intercooler. IIRC a Volvo car intercooler is a nice fit for a Jeep.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think that guy from TX who supposedly used a Mack truck air to air intercooler in a Jeep is blowing smoke. The dang heater core on a Mack is bigger than a Jeep radiator let alone a Mack intercooler. IIRC a Volvo car intercooler is a nice fit for a Jeep.
We'll see, I'm going to check out a big rig wrecker in town this week. The Texan was really forthcoming with info before I started this project. I can't see him heading down the wrong path.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We'll see, I'm going to check out a big rig wrecker in town this week. The Texan was really forthcoming with info before I started this project. I can't see him heading down the wrong path.
Here is one of the pictures he sent me, the intercooler is friggin huge!!

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
yeah its a nice fit i cant seam to get mine in. my drivetrain is to long and i really need the room. i love to add a aftercooler of some kind but im not sure if the aftercoolers on ebay are good enough and i dont want to spend an arm and leg on one. the intercooler in your pic looks like one from the step vans

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'mgoing to try and stuff it in front or the rad and run the intercooler ducting around the rad. It looks like there is a good 2 inches between the back of the grill and the front of the rad. I'm also hoping electricfans may buy me some room. That pic was of a TJ I dont know if the rad and grill are differnt, never checked that close.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts