Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first post. I've been watching the forums for a while. (great info and people here!) I'm working on a 80 CJ-7. It's stripped down and i've got all the drivetraine sorted out. Really need to get the rolling chassis going. So my question is what would you run for leaf springs on this set up? I want to stick with 2.5" wide springs, and it's going to be a S.O.A. on Dana 60's.
Thanks for your time.
Tim

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know that YJ springs are 2.5" wide and pretty much flat. That's what I'm planning on using on my CJ if I ever get around to doing the SOA. I know alot of people will throw in an add-a-leaf into the front. The springs may be a bit soft and you might want to get 2 sets of springs and mix and match leafs to get the spring rate you want. Or get some custom ones made up. Or maybe a short YJ set of lift springs like 2" or something.

Don't know if this helps at all but hope it does :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
The YJ front springs may be a little soft (so I here). The Wagoneer (SJ) front springs are popular, and the 7 leafs should hold up well with the 4bt. They are fairly flat, just not quite as flat as the YJ's

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
You can also always beef up leaf springs with add a leafs. We run into this a lot with the land cruisers. You add one or two longer softer add a leafs into the pack. I usually buy the right width and trim them down myself. I figure they are about a 250--300 lbs load increase per leaf. I usually pull one or even two of the smaller leafs at the bottom and add one or two of these for SOA configurations. I finally got it dialed with my last land cruiser, rode great and was super solid and still flexy and carried a load well. I even towed trailers with cars, no real issues..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am ordering a set of 4inch lift springs for my Scout 80 through http://www.alcanspring.com/ they will custom make your springs and take into account extra equipment weight not to mention the weight of your 700 lb Cummins. If you are planning on changing to S.O.A to make your lift for clearance this might also save you some time and effort.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I use Rubicon Express YJ Springs in the front of mine. They make them in SOA and 1.5" lift SOA. Really nice springs for the money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use Rubicon Express YJ Springs in the front of mine. They make them in SOA and 1.5" lift SOA. Really nice springs for the money.
Hey thanks for all the help. I just ordered a set of these. The guys at Rubicon Express are great to deal with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts