Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this site. I want to put the 4bt in a 1997 TJ Jeep. It has a 4.0 inline six and a AX-15 5 speed. Is there a conversion kit to bolt the 4bt to the existing drive train. Stock power should not be to much IMO. I want to bulid one as a trial run first, then build a twin turbo intercooled with head studs injectors, pump work etc. and a NV 4500 with dana 60's front and rear, but that is going to be a year before I go all out. any info and pictures would be great.. Also I might build an automatic jeep second go round. Will a 47rh bolt up to a 4bt???

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Adapting it aside, The Aisin built Jeep AX15 and Toyota R-150's are decent trannies, but I wouldn't be suprised if you blew it up real quick with a stock 4BT. I see a lot of catastrophic AX-15 and R-150 failures behind the engines they came with. 5th gear is especially weak in these. The new Toyota 3.4 V6 rigs have had a lot of issues with 5th gear and the R-151 (the same thing as the R-150 with better synchros). As we all know torque breaks stuff and these things coming apart behind toyota torque isn't real promising for a healthy life behind a cummins.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well here I am. Like they said before check my website. I now have almost 6000 miles on my conversion and it is doing great. I used my original AX-15 Transmission and so far I have done some medium duty off roading and it has held up very well. If you have any questions please feel free to send me a PM.

·
Registered
667 Posts
A Note on AX15 Reliabilty

I recently gave my 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 with 4.0L & AX15 to my son. It has 31" tires and I re-geared it to 3.55's with used ebay gears about 4 years ago. The Jeep presently has 279k miles on the original drive train. The AX15 shifts as slick as ever without any gear grinding - even during full throttle shifts. The only maintenance on the trannny has been changing gear oil every 50K miles. I realize the torque of a 4.0L H.O. does not compare to a 4BT, but I have to mention that the AX15 is the most reliable manual tranny I've owned.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nothing you won't be used to with a Jeep.

Open wallet. Empty. Replenish. Repeat.
-Scotty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What mods, clutch, flywheel, monting, slave, etc. and any special hardware were needed to mate the AX-15 to the 4bt

·
Registered
390 Posts
What mods, clutch, flywheel, monting, slave, etc. and any special hardware were needed to mate the AX-15 to the 4bt
I purchased my adaptors through http://www.novak-adapt.com I made sure that the bread van I purchased came with the GM setup. I also purchased an engine to bellhousing adaptor from a person here on 4btswaps that removed the tilt on the GM style housing. The Clutch, Flywheel is what came on my cummins. The flywheel is CUMMINS and the clutch is a typical GM 11" that you would find on a early to mid 80's blazer. The clutch master cylinder is a 1" GM with a 3/4" slave. I needed the extra movement.. Motor mounts are custom built.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts