Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have spent some time looking at different threads and seen people quick little thoughts and exhaust designs, but i was thinking... What would it look like to run a stack through my hood..?

Is this even a feasible option? It seems like it would be a good idea for a rock crawling rig, because it would be one less thing to worry about down there, and... It could look pretty badass.

Tell me anyone have any ideas? Would it mess with opening and shutting the hood? Is it legal in TX? Would i do a "fat stack" or keep the planed 3in piping idea? or hell, should I just run it straight back like I was planning in the first place? Hmmmm...

These are all questions and things I have been thinking of and searching for, so I thought hey I wonder what y'all might think...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Cops don't care for the hood stacks much..... But a rock crawler would look cool to load and spool while creeping in 4lo

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Seen several Jeeps with stacks, Esp down here where they like to make them scubadive, moreso when they are diesel! You can run a stack out right near the hood/cowl line to have least interference with hood opening. Or out the fender wall, under the battery tray and then up following windshield lean with smaller tube. They usually run a 4-6" stack through the hood:rolleyes: They don't like to run without the Jeep being sealed up as much as before though! Somehow they don't seem to care for all that diesel exhaust being right there in front of the passenger area! Not to mention as a fellow member here recently found, mechanical diesels blow chunks of black soot out of stacks when first cranked-it has to come back down somewhere!!:nuke:
Unless you are doing lots of deep fording I'd strongly suggest you keep the exhaust ran as far to the rear as possible and kick out to the side , esp for a DD. On a rock crawler you may have to turn it out ahead of the rear wheel to be able to route it high enough to protect it. Keep in mind that if necessary you can take that 3" and run a splitter and have a narrower pipe depth to deal with albeit there would be two! Or you can "oval" the 3" down to a more manageable size. You won't have to worry about increasing backpressure as much as you'd think because the farther from the combustion chamber the exh gas gets the cooler it becomes, thus "shrinking" the volume it occupies and therefore the less room it needs to pass through a tube at the same pressure! The notion of steadily increasing the exhaust pipe on trucks from a 3" down pipe to a 4" pipe and muffler then a 5-8" tip is crazy IMO! That 4" pipe will flow a lot of air! To need a 5"+ exhaust system on a 6-7L diesel passenger truck engine would mean it was really ginning.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Keep a hard top and doors on it and put a side turn out on the stack and go for it!! I like them too! Here's some links of different stack designs for Jeeps......

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?174503-Jeep-Stacks

http://www.mseriesrebuild.com/photo_gallery1.htm

And post 39 here-really drives the point home!! A 16 year old may put up with it and think its cool........but to deal with it all the time!!!! This Jeep continued to grow until it had 46s IIRC. Shockingly he flipped it! Again proving my advice to match all the components of a vehicle to each other AND the intended use!! That high a COG and a 16 year old's DD, obviously not well matched IMHO :-( The dad who built this Jeep actually did a build thread on this site.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?114612-Project-Vehcile-for-a-4BT/page4

Notice the Jeep above is moving at a pretty good clip........what do ya think it would be like creeping along a trail or in the rocks?! Then ad a breeze that pushes the exhaust directly back into the cockpit!:puke:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Run the snorkel to the driver side and match it with the stack on the passenger side!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts