Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

John Deere diesel

30K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  DesertDwag 
#1 ·
I've got 2-4219T Deere engines & a 4239T I'm considering transplanting in something what do u guys think I should put one in. I like the 1930 & 1940's year style trucks . My bro wants a 1946 chevy truck & I know where there are a few. These engines have balancer shafts in them as well.

#9 ·
Cannon , look up Phoenix castings . I'll bet they make an adapter that I could use. The only problem is the governor , I wouldn't know what to do on that . IThe 4219T is rated @ 90hp but I don't know the torque rating.
You can find many similar ratings for the 4219T online, although they are all for the 4045, a difference of about a liter or 62 ci. A close rating to your 90 hp 4219t is found here: here.

When this page loads look near the top right corner for an engine specifications search link. Select industrial, engine model, 4045, and english to view all of the 4045's. I would think that the 10th one from the bottom of the list would be real close to what you are looking for.

A variety of SAE housings are available, as well as a low mount exhaust manifold and rear sump pan. You are going to run into issues with the IP, and perhaps some height issues as ag engines are narrow and tall vs automotove applications that are wide and short.

Please ask if you have any more questions about deere engines as I am VERY knowledgable on the subject.

#6 ·
I know that in the mid-80's G.M. used some 6 cyl turbo John Deere engines in their motorhome chassis. They would have been backed by an Allison auto. If you know a G.M. parts guy with time to kill, he could get you a part # for the engine to trans adapter. It would probably adapt to a TH400 as well. I am sure it is discontinued, but a locator search might turn up a dealer with one growing dust on a shelf.

#8 · (Edited)
They didn't sell all that well and weren't offered for many years. I don't know which engine it was, all I can remember is that they were 5.9 liter turbo'ed straight 6 John deeres. My guess is that they were special ordered by a specific motor home builder like Winnebago, etc. that used G.M. chassis. I don't know which one as the G.M. parts books only covered the rolling chassis. Another odd duck offering by G.M. are the early 80's 50-70 series medium duty trucks offered with air-cooled Deutz diesels.

#13 ·
My uncle pu a little 5 cylinder deere diesel in his 1997 dodge 1500 everything seemed to fi in ok hi mileeage is only around 20 mpg but hes happy with it has alot more power than the 360 but is loud and sounds horrible at a idle but other than that went in pretty easy probaly would get better milage with the manual tranny but hes got the auto

#15 ·
question for piney22: the IP issues that you mention, my 4.239 has a rotodiesel pump which looks to be an exact copy of a lucas cav dpa. A local shop told me that they could build a lucas pump any way that I wanted. Whatever advance and governor setup, etc. I was wondering if you'd had experience with this. I was thinking of using the IP specs for a 4b truck diesel. I'm putting this baby in a 1949 Stude' 2R5.

#17 ·
Might take me awhile. I've searched high and low and think I might have to go to the shop and just ask him if he has specs in a book somewhere. He said that there were three different advance mechanisms that can be fitted to a lucas which offer from 2 to 7 degrees total advance. I guess that the governor is pretty easy to fool with too. I'll have to wait for a free weekday to go and bother him.

#18 ·
As for the transmission issue John Deere also used some Allison 654, 4spd automatics in some of their articulating 4wd tractors it would be the same transmission as used in some older motorhomes. I am not sure if the transmission bolted up to the back of the engine or if they used a drive shaft from the engine to a remote torque converter.

#21 ·
Waking up an old thread,
JD has online parts books,

The 4 cylinder engines blocks have the same physical dimensions and the same with the 6 cylinders.

The engines 4 cylinder 4219 4239 4276 and 6 cylinder 6329 6359 6414 all have the same bolt pattern on the back of the block.
There are SAE #4 and #3 flywheel housings for these engines.

In the equipment applications of these engines the flywheel housings are around 2 inches thick, would it be possible to take one of these and pattern the chevy or what ever bell housing bolt pattern you need?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.