Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, like the title says... I just bought my first Detroit. Been wanting one for a long time and finally pulled the trigger. This one is a Silver Series 3-53T. Should be delivered day after tomorrow. So far, my plan is to put it in either a 1950ish International half-ton pickup, or a 1962ish Willys 4wd Truck. Still haven't made up my mind. I'm more of a 4wd guy, but i'm wanting something that looks right, feels right, and sounds right. I'm just not sure it will seem right in a Willys pickup. Oh well... i'll figure it out. Unless something changes my mind, i'm wanting to use an NV4500 behind it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I thought so too. I'm just hoping it turns out to be a good runner. I'll get rid of the garbage I don't need, clean it up a bit, and we shall see.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Engine arrived today. Date on the throttle housing shows 01/86. Also ran into my first potential road block. I was assuming that it would be an SAE 3. According to my measurements, it looks like it's an SAE 4. I've got a 15" diameter from centerline to centerline. So, am I going to be able to mate that up to a bellhousing that will fit an NV4500?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I found similar charts on a few pages. It took me a minute to determine that the XB measurement on the chart was centerline to centerline, rather than outer diameter. I've also found that they make an adapter to go from my SAE 4 to an SAE 3, but I don't yet know if they make a bellhousing for an NV4500 that will mate directly to my SAE 4.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
SAE 3 would be 4.375 between mounting bolts, 4 would be 3.937, pretty small for clutch as CJ mentioned.

Ed in CO

·
Registered
80 Posts
Being a #4 housing I suspect this engine wasn't in an automotive application. What did the engine come out of? Do you have an automotive flywheel, or some sort of flexplate/coupler?
I'm not familiar with an NV4500, but assume that it is from a pick-up and if so it will be hard to find an SAE clutch housing cheap to mate it to anything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SAE 3 would be 4.375 between mounting bolts, 4 would be 3.937, pretty small for clutch as CJ mentioned.

Ed in CO
I measured several times and I came up with 3 7/8 between bolt hole centers. I was only using a tape measure, but I feel it's a fairly accurate reading.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Being a #4 housing I suspect this engine wasn't in an automotive application. What did the engine come out of? Do you have an automotive flywheel, or some sort of flexplate/coupler?
I'm not familiar with an NV4500, but assume that it is from a pick-up and if so it will be hard to find an SAE clutch housing cheap to mate it to anything.
You are correct. It was not in an automotive application. It was being used as some sort of hydraulic pump, or something, so I don't have an automotive flywheel yet. I'm not really familiar with them, but it looks like it's got some sort of flexplate/coupler, as you say. It has an inner band with teeth that appears to have mated up with whatever the pump had on it. (If that makes any sense) An NV4500 is a very common 5-speed transmission that was primarily used in Dodge and GM 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. It was the replacement for the Getrag 360. (at least from what i understand) It was the predecessor to the NV5600, which is the current 6-speed manual transmission used by Dodge (and maybe others) in their medium duty trucks. After some digging, I don't think I will be able to find a bellhousing that will mate up to my SAE 4, short of 1 or 2 oddballs that i'm not really interested in using. So... that leads me to my next step. I might need to consider changing the flywheel housing to one with an SAE 3 bolt pattern. Doesn't look too fun, but I haven't done my homework yet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You have a #4 housing.
If you really want to get down to splitting hairs, the distance between 12 holes on a 15" circle is 3.882289". (sorry, that's as far as my cheap calculator will display)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have a #4 housing.
If you really want to get down to splitting hairs, the distance between 12 holes on a 15" circle is 3.882289". (sorry, that's as far as my cheap calculator will display)
That's pretty much my 3 7/8". I couldn't find any videos or play by play instructions on flywheel bellhousing removal on a 3-53 or similar. Just from what I've examined so far, it looks like there are several bolts around the perimeter of it. (and a few inboard that are behind the flywheel/coupler thing that is currently installed) Obviously, all of these must be removed. I'm hoping I don't have to remove a bunch of external stuff like the blower and other things to gain access to some of these bolts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you can find something out of a medium duty, it should have an SAE housing and getting rid of that SAE #4 housing will clear up a lot of headaches for you. (normal clutch disc in a #4 is 8" or 10")
I like the idea of 6 speeds as that 3-53 won't like big jumps between gears
screenshot.png

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, I guess that means i'll be removing the flywheel housing and trying to find a housing that's an SAE 3. Hope it's not too big of a pain.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I know it's a long shot, but anyone happen to have a book that gives the DD part number for a flywheel housing for the flywheel housing for on-road applications?

Edit- the part number for the flywheel housing is 8924578. This housing has the hole for the starter on the right side. (when facing the flywheel from the rear)

·
Registered
64 Posts
On-road off-road... it doesn't matter the flywheel housing will be the same. Unfortunately I don't have the part number info. As for switching the housings... not a big deal at all. It will take you longer to find the housing.

Cj

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On-road off-road... it doesn't matter the flywheel housing will be the same. Unfortunately I don't have the part number info. As for switching the housings... not a big deal at all. It will take you longer to find the housing.

Cj
well... I found a housing. I'm just trying to make sure I have the right one before spending an arm and a leg. The measurement of the bellhousing area shows it to be an SAE 3, and the hole for the starter is on the right when facing the rear of the engine.(which is what I need)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is it the one on Ebay for $500? I think that is outrageously priced. The housing you are looking for is probably the most common one, your #4 is probably much harder to find.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts