Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Is it the one on Ebay for $500? I think that is outrageously priced. The housing you are looking for is probably the most common one, your #4 is probably much harder to find.
yes, it's on ebay, but it's actually the one that's $600. I know it's priced ridiculously, but it's the only one I've been able to find that has the starter on the right side. (facing the rear of the engine) I can't use one that has the starter on the left, due to the oil filter housing being in the way. I'm sure the #4's are very hard to find, but I doubt many people are looking for them. I would be happy to sell it, but I bet I would have a hard time finding a buyer. I attempted to 'bump' my engine over this evening, but wasn't successful. When I put 12 volts to it, I could hear the solenoid engage the starter gear, but it didn't move the crank. I then put a breaker bar on the crank pulley, and it was very easy to turn. I may be wrong, but I determined that it must be a 24 volt starter. I found out today that this engine came out of a grade-all machine. Tomorrow i'm going to run 2 batteries in series to see if I can turn it over. I know it will turn the correct way, but i'm just wanting to double-check to make sure before I start spending more money on it. The fan blades are facing the correct way, but I still want to check to make sure.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Some non-automotive engine fans blow the air away from the engine. I don't know where you live, but it would be worth hitting all wrecking yards in your neighborhood to search for Detroit engines, might be pushed in the back out of sight, or in some downtrodden unusual vehicle. If one asks, many yard people have no clue.

Ed in CO

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Some non-automotive engine fans blow the air away from the engine. I don't know where you live, but it would be worth hitting all wrecking yards in your neighborhood to search for Detroit engines, might be pushed in the back out of sight, or in some downtrodden unusual vehicle. If one asks, many yard people have no clue.

Ed in CO
unfortunately, we don't have any good wrecking yards around here near Nashville that I know of. we have several yards, but they are mostly modern wrecked or otherwise crapped out cars. There's bound to be something around. I just haven't found it yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I appreciate all the info so far, guys. just an update... I ran 2 batteries in series this morning, and the engine DID have the correct rotation. I was sure it would, but I wanted to verify. Now, i'll be looking to purchase the correct flywheel housing.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Might look for end users junk piles, logging camps, freight haulers, concrete mixer bone yards, any kind of hauling truck headquarters. Lots of places to hide a vehicle in the bushes. Look for the greasiest, dirtiest locations.

Ed in CO

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The ebay seller that had the one for $600 said they would consider "reasonable" offers. We are on the same side of the Mississippi, so I offered $500 shipped. I thought It was very reasonable, but they refused. They weren't the most courteous people to deal with, either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
okay... I'm pretty embarrassed to be asking this, but I've been scratching my head over it, and I thought it easier just to ask. This morning, I set out to remove the flywheel/coupler and starter. Flywheel/Coupler was no problem. The starter is somewhat of a different story. I removed the top bolt on the side nearest to the block. I then removed the one directly below it. They were both external torx, or star, or whatever you want to call it. (I used a 9/16 (12) point socket) The third one, appears to be a hex head, but there is a clearance issue between it and the solenoid housing. I can't even get a wrench on it. Is there something i'm missing? The first picture shows arrows pointing to the 2 bolts I was able to remove. The heads of these 2 bolts were on the starter side, of course. Not inside the flywheel housing. The 3rd bolt hole cannot be seen from the angle in the first picture. The 2nd picture shows the hex bolt I mentioned, and the 3rd pic shows the area of the solenoid housing where the bolt would hit, if able to be moved.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
okay... I finally figured it out. the bolt in the last picture is trapped permanently from the factory, and it cannot be removed from the starter mount. However, once you start turning it, you just have to pull the starter back with it. Pretty strange, I think. Partially due to the contraption in which this engine is mounted, I just couldn't get anything on that bolt head. I finally got it broken free with a 7/8" crow's foot wrench on a 3/8" drive long handle, flex head ratchet. Took forever, but I finally got it. I know one thing for sure... i'll definitely be glad when I get this thing cleaned up. The passenger side is absolutely filthy, and it's mess every time you work on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
the seller and I ended up coming to an agreement on the flywheel housing. I purchased it today. Not sure when it will be here, but i'll probably go ahead and remove mine so I can put this one on when it comes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Spotless hands, etc., and diesels do not work together.

Ed in CO.
definitely don't have 'spotless' hands. i'm in industrial maintenance, so my hands stay dirty on a semi-regular basis. (along with the typical cuts and scrapes) Nothing wrong with trying to minimize the oil buildup so I'm not working on a sludge factory. besides, I'm sure it will get dirty later, but I want to clean it to put a good coat of paint on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
My task for this evening was to remove the radiator, fan, and start to clean the front of the engine. mission accomplished.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
question... before I remove the fuel pump, do I need to reach in through the large cover on the rear of the flywheel housing and mark the teeth so I can line them back up when re-installing the pump? Is this necessary? Do I even need to remove the pump, or can I simply remove the bolts that hold it to the flywheel housing while leaving the bolts holding it to the spacer plate? Any other words of advice?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts