Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres what my dad gave me today. This is going to replace the chevy 350 5speed that I have in my 72 ford 1/2 ton. Ive never seen a 253 in a vehicle so I think it will be quite a bit different. Im shooting for 100 hp. I will be using N-90 injectors HX30-W turbo,and an air to air intercooler. I think im going to use the variable speed gov off my 453 also. I think its gonna be sweet.

Attachments

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Wow! I'm jealous :D
Is that one from a john deer? Do you have a picture of the back end?

I too have dreams of a 2-53T in a 1/2 ton (probably 48-53 Chevy).
Don't expect it to be anything spectacular, but should be fun to put around in and get reasonable mileage.

Look into taking a 3 or a 4 cylinder 4 valve head, lopping off the extra and welding the back end on again. I'm searching for a partially damaged candidate to give it a try. With the 4 valves (per cylinder) a turbo should help a little more than with just 2.

I've heard of a couple 2-53 engines in vehicles, one an old car, the other a jeep, haven't seen either and don't know how well they worked.

Grigg

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, it's from some sort of john Deere,but I can't remember what model. My dad said they replaced the 253 cuz it was low on power. It turned out the governor was bad and it wasn't giving it full fuel. It has the automotive timing cover on it but it was missing the bellhousing. No big deal though, only paid $150 for the engine. I'm gonna change the timing cover spacer plate with one from a 353,cuz it is a little different around where the governor bolts on. You can see it in the pic.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I'm gonna need a drivers side 353 oil cooler and water pump. Becouse the passenger side cooler won't fit with the starter cuz this engine is so darn short. So if anybody has a line on one let me know. I have 8 or 9 passenger side 353 and 453 coolers if someone wants to trade. I also have tons of other 353-453 parts that I can trade.

·
3,761 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've got one, I'll have a look and send you a PM.
Grigg

·
Registered
751 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds like a neat project. I think 100hp is doable. My friend has one of those in an old JD bulldozer. Did you mention what you planned to use for a trans?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a neat project. I think 100hp is doable. My friend has one of those in an old JD bulldozer. Did you mention what you planned to use for a trans?
I m gonna use the GM automotive bellhousing and timing cover off the 453 that used to be in the truck, along with a .62 overdrive wc T-5

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've made quite a bit of progress on the 253. The short block is finished and Ive been working on building the turbo exhaust manifold ( very time consuming), as soon as the manifold is done I will be taking the head to the man for new valves, guides, seats, and injector coppers. When I have some time I will get Seth(2tonsoffun) to post some pics of the progress for me. My work put some goofy blockers on all the computers that won't let me on 4btswaps so all I have left is the iPod and no way to access my pics.

·
3,761 Posts
Very nice work!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
.....or maybe a 72 f-100 lol!! why do you hate my truck?
oh, come on, i didn't said that i hate your truck (but i prefer a chevy than a ford:happyfinger::happyfinger::happyfinger:)...

an engine like this could be a good swap into my dad's pontiac trans sport, so much cooler than the 1.9L peugeot 90hp turbodiesel 4-banger used in an euro-spec version of the trans sport...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:beer::beer::beer:
oh, come on, i didn't said that i hate your truck (but i prefer a chevy than a ford:happyfinger::happyfinger::happyfinger:)...

an engine like this could be a good swap into my dad's pontiac trans sport, so much cooler than the 1.9L peugeot 90hp turbodiesel 4-banger used in an euro-spec version of the trans sport...

1 - 20 of 185 Posts