Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up this 2001 bus used for the Olympics in SLC.

I was wondering if anyone has a idea what the value is.
It carries 4 100 gallon tanks = 400 gal of cng fuel- tanks are good until 2015.
Factory Cummins conversion, Hydrauilic fan, new rebuilt allison 740T trans
New Goodyear 22.5 virgin rubber on alum wheels.

No Injectors( just big spark plugs) and No Injector pump.... There is a pump attached to the IP drive.. not sure what it's called. You can see the CNG Electronic unit in Beige above the intake.
Funny it still sounds like a diesel and Turbo still.
Bus probably never did over 30 mph as it was used at the SLC airport as a shuttle to the parking lots.
The oil is as clean as the day it was put in.

runs great.... any idea of the value.. I'm not sure what to do with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
personally I would love to have a truck that ran on cng. it would be better if it were propane as there are more places to refuel. I'd look at what it would take to have it run propane instead. You may just need to retime it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
if it's any help, gas heaters can often be converted to run either propane or nat. gas, simply by varying the amount of gas from one to the other. IIRC, the propane had a brass fitting with a slightly larger hole compared to the nat. gas fitting. Not being an expert, I would assume the flow rate would be all that needed adjusting, besides a tank replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
if it's any help, gas heaters can often be converted to run either propane or nat. gas, simply by varying the amount of gas from one to the other. IIRC, the propane had a brass fitting with a slightly larger hole compared to the nat. gas fitting. Not being an expert, I would assume the flow rate would be all that needed adjusting, besides a tank replacement.
Close but I think you have it the other way around, propane would be a smaller jet(more BTU) than nat gas

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wouldn't doubt that I got it backwards. Never messed with the stuff much I'm afraid. That and if I'd thought about it for a split second I would have realized that myself lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not only would you need smaller jets/nozzles. Typically propane heaters run at 11-13 inches water column. Nat. gas runs lower around 3-5 inches water column. So a different pressure regulator may be involved in converting to propane as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
there are tons of smaller engines that run on NG or propane, look at generators at northern tool. they only require a jet change. also you can convert your NG appliances at home to run on propane. there are companies out there that sell parts.

i am sure its possible, but on a larger engine i would imagine it may include something besides just a jet change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts