Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a 4BT for sale that I want to go look. From talking to the guy it's a P-pumped engine and is set up for the air-air aftercooler, which I don't have room to run in my Power Wagon. Can this be converted to a JWAC? What would I need (beside the obvious JWAC intake) and what kind of cost would I be looking at?

Besides the normal stuff and the turbo and crank shaft end play is there anything else I should check? The engine has been removed from the truck so I can't run it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If its on a stand or hoist or stable on a skid and you got a battery big enough and the cable to wire it up you can crank it if you want to be safe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i went with the air to water setup and instead of using the factory intake i went to a place online called silicon intake systems and bought a stand alone unit and a small radiator much like a ac condesor in size. about 1x12x24 and plumbed that to a water pump from a lighting 150. not the cheapest but according to the specs no matter what i do to the motor i should never out grow the system. plus this place has coolers and radiators in all sizes for what ever space you have.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I highly recommend that you bring a battery and fire it up. I recently bought a 4BT without running it, got it home, fired it up and it had a knock. Luckily I paid almost nothing for it and will be able to recoup my money, but I'm sure that P pump 4BT is a decent chunk of change.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Highly recommend it! Problem im having now. Battery i took to try and start my engine i got didn't have enough "umph" to turn it over. It's now on a stand cranks and get smoke so im getting combustion. But think I have a fuel pressure problem or something.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the impression the transmission setup has been removed, so no starter to turn it over. I can take a battery just in case but I think it's just the motor, not even sure there's a trans adapter behind it, let alone the flywheel and starter, but I'll double check before I head over there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your going to pay a good chunk for the adapter not to mention used ones are far and few. What tranny you want to use?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A 5-speed manual, but which one specifically I haven't decided, and honestly just about any of the main options would work fine. I was kind of leaning toward the Spicer 3053a with the special OD gear since the lowest ring and pinion ratio available in the stock PW axle is 4.88:1.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Conversion from CAC to JWAC is likely going to require, in addition to the JWAC, new injector lines and holders as they have to route around the JWAC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts