Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a aux engine to drive the Hydraulic Snow Blower on my Bombardier. I got a emil tonight offering a 36 hp Kubota Diesel, 4 cyl. The owner says it has a problem. Here is his quoted description

"a 36 horse Kubota 4 cyl diesel that we have? It runs good, but I believe it has a broken ring, and pressurizes the crank case. "

Any thoughts on what/how to test before I consider purchase. Also whats the chances if a ring is broken that it took out the cyl wall.

All thoughts most welcome. Whats a fair price on a broken Kubota ?

Thanks
Paul

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
Hey Paul,

They sell new ones here:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/
Good catalog. I would also recommend it for those odd widgets we always seem to need.
Core value is probably 20 - 30% of new.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do a leakdown test and rotate the crank though a complete cycle.
Should show you the results you are looking for.
not sure what you would adapt to get the cylinder pressurized...old injector maybe?.. maybe the adapter from a diesel engine compression tester and air line??

or maybe fab something on to the intake and fill with compressed air and measure the leakdown as you rotate the crank?

just thinkin out loud

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. I have pictures being sent. Then I can make a better decision if I want to travel to look at/inspect/test engine.

Paul

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hey, Paul, just my .02 but to me there's about a 99% chance a broken ring would take out the cylinder wall. The shorter piece, or either piece, is no longer safely held in a fully circular compression, so 2 sharp ends are there on each section of broken ring to score cylinder wall. If it's a wet sleeve engine you could just redo the one cylinder and hone/ring the others. Me, I'd assume it's a rebuilder core, nothing more, and go from there?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, Paul, just my .02 but to me there's about a 99% chance a broken ring would take out the cylinder wall. The shorter piece, or either piece, is no longer safely held in a fully circular compression, so 2 sharp ends are there on each section of broken ring to score cylinder wall. If it's a wet sleeve engine you could just redo the one cylinder and hone/ring the others. Me, I'd assume it's a rebuilder core, nothing more, and go from there?
JIm, I agree its risky that no real damage was/is done. Now it depends on the price the seller asks. Wont know that until monday.

Paul

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Did he give any real big hints why he thought it might be a broken ring? Hoping for the best for you, as more than once I've really scored thanks to someone else's bad diagnosis. Years ago I bought a '70 Olds 98 2dr hard top in premiere condition for 50 bucks 'cause it smoked like a house on fire. I drove it home and spun a new modulator on the tranny, so it would quit sucking tranny fluid into the carburetor, and had one fine old ride for several years!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did he give any real big hints why he thought it might be a broken ring? Hoping for the best for you, as more than once I've really scored thanks to someone else's bad diagnosis. Years ago I bought a '70 Olds 98 2dr hard top in premiere condition for 50 bucks 'cause it smoked like a house on fire. I drove it home and spun a new modulator on the tranny, so it would quit sucking tranny fluid into the carburetor, and had one fine old ride for several years!
No, his speculation was a broken ring causing the pressurized crank case.

Paul

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Ah ha! maybe just a blown head gasket. Could be good...

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
...or maybe one or more cracked pistons from starting ether?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, its a crap shoot. The seller says he will start it and let run so I can see how good it runs. Its really got to be an inviting deal to perk my interest.

Paul

·
Registered
397 Posts
Does anyone here know what a broken ring sounds like when running?
Well, in the BD264 in my B140, it had broken rings in all 6 cylinders. No discernable noise to me. It was the oil smoke out the exhaust and puffing same out the draft tube that spoke of bad things inside. It was also missing part of the #6 piston...

As well #1 had part of the broken ring end up beside itself inside the groove, ie ruined the piston.

Cylinder scoring was present but not bad.

This engine still started, idled, moved the truck etc. This is how it came to me when I purchased it via long distance. No complaints here just going over the facts.

Ken

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I heard back from the seller last night.

The Kubota has 8200 hours, no flywheel, starter, alternator, pressurizes crankcase when running.

Buzzzzzzz, Next Player LOL

Paul

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
I agree, that's the best choice. At the average of 45 MPH that engine has the equivalent of 369,000 highway miles. Being striped of all the usable accessories it wouldn't be worth the cost of a ride in a big rig even if it was FREE! My term for it is "CRUSHER FODDER"

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree, that's the best choice. At the average of 45 MPH that engine has the equivalent of 369,000 highway miles. Being striped of all the usable accessories it wouldn't be worth the cost of a ride in a big rig even if it was FREE! My term for it is "CRUSHER FODDER"
Bob, you and I must think alike. I also used 45 mph to figure probable miles. Crusher Fodder, I like that.

Paul

·
Registered
41 Posts
There were three cylinder Kubotas used on pressure washers until the EPA mandated cleaner engines. Now Lombardini 3 cyl are on Alkotas that we sell.

Not sure what the Kubotas were rated but the Lombi is rated 26hp.

They run fixed RPMs but it appears that they can be throttled.

Edit to say there are PLENTY of those old Kubotas out there!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Last word on Kubota/Lombardini 3 cyls. We had to do a head gasket on a Lombi.

The Kubotas have needed stuff like glow plugs and an injector once. And if you think we ever get bad fuel.... you oughta see what's in some of these rigs!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts