Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have obtained my diesel finally and it is a V3300TE Kubota diesel. I am looking to re-ring it and put new bearings through it. Hopefully that is all it needs. Someone sprayed eather in it. Got to love that. Oh well they mistake is my gain. THANK GOD.

However I need a little help from everyone. I have a 4cyl in mine right now and it is a 5 speed but I think I want to keep it manual for future Teaching purposes for my daughters. What are some of the Transmission options for this Dot 4 bell housing?

Any key points that I need to worry about going to diesel on a 1997 Wrangler?

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Diesel in a Jeep

I think you will find that the AX5 that you have is too weak to handle the torque that a diesel can put out. I would recommend that you look at an NV4500. They can handle the power a diesel can put out, and you can change the bellhousing to fit Dodge, and Gm patterns. The NV4500 comes in 2 and 4x4 if you want to keep it 4x4. NV4500 is a common upgrade for jeeps so it has been done before.

http://www.phxgrp.com/transmission.htm
Check here for the adapter rings to fit the SAE #4 to what you can use.

I am putting an Isuzu 4bd engine and NV4500 with a Dana 300 tranfercase into my 86 CJ7 jeep.

Dieseltim
770-712-8644

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It came out of a 26000 capacity Combilift.

I am fixing to tear it down and see what it is going to take but I am shopping to see what rebuild kits cost.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I doubt the need for an NV4500. But I don't know anything about the AX5 and I can easily imagine the stock trans behind a 4 cylinder gasser needing to be upgraded. However, any engine equipped with an SAE#4 setup isn't producing a huge amount of power/torque. The limit to the clutch size with a #4 is a clue to that.

I know you can put an NP trans behind it as I have a complete SAE #4 setup with an NP4530 that was behind a Nissan SD33T, a 3.3 liter I-6 diesel. I don't know where the clutch housing came from though so I can't offer a direction in which to search other than dieseltim's suggestion of Phoenix Castings.

The #4 housing really is a limiting factor here. The diesel Scouts used #4(also a Nissan SD33) and there were many long drawn out discussions of transmission options on the Binder Bulletin(search BinderPlanet.com diesel section). These diesel Scouts came equipped with close ratio T19s and the desire for OD was driving the search for alternatives there. Regardless, the readily available options were few.

With proper gearing a 4-speed could suffice. If length or 4x4 issues don't present a problem(as with the Scouts) an auxiliary OD unit could also make a 4-speed easily livable.

Perhaps things have changed for the SAE #4 setup scenario in past few years and a readily available 5-speed like the NV4500 is now easily adapted, I don't know.

EDIT: Well now, doing some more reading I see we have some more options for the SAE#4 housing. Phoenix Castings, god bless 'em, has been continually bringing more products to market and they've definitely opened up the options. http://www.phxgrp.com/transmission.htm

Ken

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far I think I am wanting to go with the NV4500 but for cost sake I may settle for something like the 5 speed behind the 4.0 liter Jeep 6 cyl. I see many people ABUSE them and they hold up. I am trying to find a good cost effective way and strong.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Behind a small diesel an NV4500 will pretty much suck. Look at the ratios before you jump on the NV4500 train.

Look into the Ford/Mazda M5R2. The ratios are very nice with a small diesel and the right gears/tires. The M5R2 is dirt cheap and very common.

If you want to keep Jeep the AX15 will probably hold up, but they aren't a great tranny.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where do I get the bell housings that bolt to the back of the engine or is the adapters made where you unbolt the old bell housing/flywheel housing from the engine and adapt to the transmission of your choice. Is this correct? Sorry never done or seen a conversion done to know where to start on that.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ax15

You may want to swap to an AX15. It is quite a bit stronger than the AX5 and the AX15 is reasonably priced. In my experience, the AX15's are reliable. My AX15 equipped 1995 Cherokee had 280k miles when I gave it to my son. It is still shifting smoothly today. http://www.phxgrp.com now manufactures an adapter set to bolt the AX15 bellhousing to a SAE 4 flywheel housing.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The AX15 is essentially the same tranny as the toyota R150 used behind the 22RET and 3.0V6. The AX15/R130's are built by Aisin and are pretty well built. They typically have bearing failures with high miles and have 5th gear issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet!!!!! So I got my Bellhousing and flywheel back. I thought that we wouldnt get it back form the place where we bought the new engine from but they had kept it and it was BRAND NEW. So at least I have that back off my list of concerns. Back to the Transmission and Accessories like AC compressor, Alternator which there is a spot for it already and my Power steering option. I hope to add a compressor to it for Trail use. Now I need to just lay out my plains and start looking at the whole picture.

Any help would be great from guys that have already done this.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You inspired me, so you are no longer alone. Picked up the same motor off Craig's. It has 300 hrs on it and a fried turbo.The oil line vibrated loose and starved the turbo.It came with what looks like a SAE#3 bellhousing. Not sure what I'll put it in, but the price was right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I have had a better find and I have posted else where that I have come across my dream engine. I have a John Deere 4045t and that is what I am going to stick to. Running engine and is turn key. Good Luck to you COOG

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
....any engine equipped with an SAE#4 setup isn't producing a huge amount of power/torque. The limit to the clutch size with a #4 is a clue to that...
Ken
I disagree there,
SAE #4 is often used to drive a hydraulic pump, as it probably was in the kubota forklift application. You don't need much space or a clutch to fit a hydraulic pump that can overpower/stall an engine even of considerable size. For example one of my Detroits came with an SAE #4 and makes 185 HP and 436 ft lb, and I agree that there is no clutch that fits and holds the torque, but it was direct drive so no need.

The Phoenix castings adapter that can start with a #4 just adapts a larger flywheel after the original #4, and then you can fit a normal size clutch to the second flywheel.

Sense we can't accuratley guess engine output by SAE housing size, what HP and torque is the kubota in question any how?

Another idea, may be able to drive a power steering pump on a kubota off the back side of the injection pump. The tiny kubota D600 I have could have had a hydraulic pump there, and I bet the pressure relief valve could could be adjusted to suit a PS application.

Grigg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts