Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
94 Isuzu Trooper 4BT Conversion

I have a 1994 Isuzu Trooper, 4BT with cpl 0730 with 41 hours on it from test facility, GM transmission adapter and flex plate, diesel lock up torque converter, 700r4 4 speed overdrive automatic built basic HD, TCI deep tranny pan, Lokar shifter, NP208 transfer case, NP205 transfer case with PTO, WVO duel fuel conversion.

After seeing and riding in Dave's 8,000 Lbs. Beast and discovering its ability to get up on the highway better than the Trooper at 4200 Lbs. with stock 3.2 liter gas engine I decided the 4BT would go in completely stock initially as a "control" for getting base line performance measurements.

My Trooper will weigh in at approximately 4700 Lbs. when complete. I will do performance upgrading in two stages.

Stage #1 - Turn fuel screw up, replace governor spring with 3200 spring, swap the H1C industrial turbo with a HY35 9cm2 turbo, plumb the inter-cooler.

Stage #2 - Replace injectors, P pump, ceramic coat piston tops and teflon coat skirts, rebuild 700r4 for 400hp/600ftlb. Wake me up I think I am dreaming. I would only do this if it captures my interest and I live long enough.

So, to date I have followed and performed these steps on the road to conversion.

1. Buy a 1994 Isuzu trooper and get rid of 1988 Trooper.
A. 94 Trooper is significantly stronger than the 88

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
2. Research conversion options.
A. 4BD1T con - adapter to tranny, information available
B. Oversea import stock Trooper diesel con - cost to import something I cannot test, getting parts.
C. 4BT con reported shaker and noise :bounce:
D. Can't find any indication that anyone has actually done a 4BT Trooper.
3. Decided on the 4BT route after seeing Andre's original FJ on IH8MUD.
4. Look for and purchase a 4BT
A. First unit I was second caller :frown: but was able to take measurements to make sure it would fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A. First unit I was second caller but was able to take measurements to make sure it would fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

B. Craigslist had two diesels (perkins and 4BT :grinpimp: ) from a group that was clearing a test facility.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
5. Listed existing Trooper engine for sale so someone could test drive the engine.
A. No one responded to the ads the week I waited. :rolleyes:
6. Removed engine, tranny and transfer case.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
7. Placed 4BT into engine compartment for sizing. BIG :smile:
A. Engine fit front to rear with an inch on each end so no cutting of top of radiator cowling.
B. Oil pan fit behind IFS axle tube with no pan mods necessary.
C. Doghouse pathetically small so decision was made to raise body 3"

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
8. Raised Body 3"
A. Custom cut UHMW PE spacers as the nylon spaces in kit were not good enough.
B. Installed lift in about 4 hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
9. Purchase 700r4, Lokar shifter, P30 van gel mounts, Torque converter, NP208 xfer case.
A. Sold original 27 spline 700r4 and replaced with HD 30 spline built 700r4

Here are some more pan fit photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi Kurt -

Been looking at your post and pictures, looking good.I'm putting my 4BT in a 1990 F150 4X4, I researched building a very heavy duty 700R4 for it, kind of leaning towards a manual now but I haven't totally dropped the 700r4 idea. Just wondering where you got yours and what stall speed converter you got? My engine came with the Chevy adapter with a TH400. The 700R4 torque converter is smaller diameter than the TH400 so it will take some adaption to bolt the 700 converter to the flex plate, it may be as simple as redrilling the plate. Have you looked into that yet? I may still go that route.

Steve

PS. I live near Buffalo, for once we don't make the headlines for snow. No snow here at all, 50's over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi Kurt -

Been looking at your post and pictures, looking good.I'm putting my 4BT in a 1990 F150 4X4, I researched building a very heavy duty 700R4 for it, kind of leaning towards a manual now but I haven't totally dropped the 700r4 idea. Just wondering where you got yours and what stall speed converter you got? My engine came with the Chevy adapter with a TH400. The 700R4 torque converter is smaller diameter than the TH400 so it will take some adaption to bolt the 700 converter to the flex plate, it may be as simple as redrilling the plate. Have you looked into that yet? I may still go that route.

Steve

PS. I live near Buffalo, for once we don't make the headlines for snow. No snow here at all, 50's over the weekend.
ditto on this question. The flex plate doesn't look redrillable, not enough meat to make it work. I'm going to call a local trans shop to see what they can do with my 700r4 torque converter.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
maybe flexplate is the wrong term. There's a band, that connects the flywheel to the transmission. It's just a strip of bent metal that bolts to both the flywheel and the transmission. It doesn't look anything like the above picture. It's hard to describe without a picture. Maybe ther eis a way to adapt this piece, I was thinking that if new pads could just be welded to the TC farther out, it would bolt right up. I just don't think i trust myself to get them on the right circle so that it rotates correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Torque Converter Flex plate Adapter

I have considered the following choices.

1. Have Torque converter custom made with low stall and heavy duty turbine bearing with 6 mounting pads in the 11.5(?) pattern $300.

2. Make 6 oval (pill capsule) shaped metal links 3/8" thick with a large hole at one end to fit over the pad posts and a small hole at other end to attach to the flex plate wavy band. (o O) You could match the weight so no need to worry about balance $10 + 2 hours.

3. You could weld additional metal on the wavy band in six places and time your welds (if by mig) or measure your rod (if by arc).

I am considering choice 2 but may still go with 1 since that gets me a truly custom built converter. I already have 2 HD converters here. 1411 stall and unknown low stall (still researching that one).

·
Registered
645 Posts
Look at www.transmissioncenter.net. Look at the 700R4 page. They have a "Super Street Raptor" convertor that can be ordered in 1200 rpm stall for diesels, good for 450HP. I was going to machine an aluminum ring that goes between the TH400 flexplate and the 700 conveter. Drill the 700 bolt circle thru the flexplate and the ring. Of course it would all have to be centered and balanced.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is the SAE3 Bell housing for reference. Used with Allison transmissions.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This is the GM flexplate. And the NP205 with TH350/700r4 adapter.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I put a Kat engine block heater in yesterday. 750 watt. Tapped the freeze plug in with punch and hammer and pulled it out with channel locks and cleaned the hole. Put small amount of light grease on O ring and installed with no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These are some photos of the engine compartment. Notice that the frame is Boxed and quite beefy. The front end is stock rated at 2770 Lbs. I had two people and myself stand on the front pushbar (40 Lbs.)before pulling the old engine. This added 570 Lbs. and the stock suspension went down .75 inch This does not include the push bar in any of the measurements. I have torsion bar (1") front and will either put 1.125 bars on or air assist shocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WVO conversion

I build my own conversions for running WVO. I can make a better system than available online for far less money.

1. The first step is to make your fuel line/heat exchanger ends.
A. Plumbing tools, solder, teflon tape
B. Copper and brass fittings, copper tubing
C. Heater hose and hose clamps

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts