Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This project started 5 years ago and has progressed slowly the last couple years (young kids :) Started life with a 2.5L N/A Rover diesel, thought I wanted a Rover 4.0L V8, pulled that once I got to the wiring/electronics. Bought a Frito Van with with a 4BT, drove it home and now the 4BT is sitting in my Rover. It has a 4L80E with a Mark's Adapter to a Land Rover LT230 transfer case. The 4L80E will be controlled by a Compushift stand alone computer. Finishing up a Scout II power steering box conversion, new drag links, panhard rod then on the the drive lines and plumbing. I have some 9.00x16 Michelin XZL's (37") that are going on. Still have a long way to go to get it on the trail/road. The 4BT has me motivated to get it done so I am pushing for August hoping to make it to Colorado for the National Rover Rally...we'll see.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.pbase.com/troutrover/series_iv

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pic's

The torque converter is from a GM 6.5 Diesel and bolted straight to the flex plate from the TH400 that came in the Frito van. The Adapter is from Mark's 4 Wheel Drive in Australia and mates the 4L80E to the LT230 They are sold through Advanced Adapters here in the States.

CB

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
An auto tranny? Don't trip over your skirt Sally.

just kidding...

Sweet looking build by a fellow Rover owner... Keep posting pix as you get closer to having it on the road.

RW

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Discovery? No, it's a 110.

Watch what you say about an auto until you have actually wheeled with one. :thefinger: I have had this conversation many times and most people that bad mouth autos have never used one offroad. I talked at length with Timm Cooper who has done a lot of Cummins conversions in Land Rovers, 6BT, 6AT and 4BT's and is highly respected in the custom built Rover world. He is a 5sp guy hands down but agreed that the 4BT with an auto in a trail truck may be the better option. His point being if a 4BT's peak torque is at 1800 rpm's it will be easier to stay in that rpm range with an auto. Now I am NOT an expert here so not looking to start a debate. Just building the truck that I want because you can't buy one.

Cheers
Christian

·
Registered
696 Posts
A Discovery? No, it's a 110.

Watch what you say about an auto until you have actually wheeled with one. :thefinger: I have had this conversation many times and most people that bad mouth autos have never used one offroad. I talked at length with Timm Cooper who has done a lot of Cummins conversions in Land Rovers, 6BT, 6AT and 4BT's and is highly respected in the custom built Rover world. He is a 5sp guy hands down but agreed that the 4BT with an auto in a trail truck may be the better option. His point being if a 4BT's peak torque is at 1800 rpm's it will be easier to stay in that rpm range with an auto. Now I am NOT an expert here so not looking to start a debate. Just building the truck that I want because you can't buy one.

Cheers
Christian

Different strokes for different folks.

Christian has the 110 got a rover or a salisbury axle. the casing looks round thats all.

Gaza

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has a P38 rear axle. Supposed to be a little better then the standard Rover axle. It has held up so far....

This place would not be so fun if every one was building the same truck, right!

Cheers
CB

·
Registered
696 Posts
It has a P38 rear axle. Supposed to be a little better then the standard Rover axle. It has held up so far....CB
What happened to the salisbury that was on there originally? I assume it came with a salisbury as all 110/130s do in the UK.

Gaza

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a rear Salisbury but it has drum brakes. Waiting for one with disc's to fall my way :D

CB

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly that a good automatic is an excellent choice offroad, or on. You can burn up a whole lot of clutch facing in a couple of hours on a real bad stretch of dirt or rock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Latest progress

Here is the latest. Had to swap out the Rover power steering box for a Scout II / Saginaw steering box to make room for the 4BT. The vacuum pump and power steering pump on the 4BT needed to be in the same loacation. Had to make a new drag link so I upgraded to 1 ton Chevy tie rod ends at the same time, the are twice the size! Used Spidertrax Off-Rroad threaded intserts and 1/4" wall DOM tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and some more

Here are my motor mounts, used the liquid filled mounts out of the P30. Just fit but should soak up some of the vibs. Next I had to make a new panhard rod bracket, the stock one was intigrated into the power steering box.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Cool ride!

1 question though: Why do some folks like the 4L80-E so much behind these 4B's is it compatibility (Torque Converter, no Vacuum?). Seem like a lot of wasted power/torque not to mention poor gearing (2.48 forward 2.01ish in Rev).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lock-up torque converter, overdrive, with a compushift controller you can dial in the stall point to anything you like and it is almost a direct replacement for the T-400 that a lot of the 4BT's come with. Final gearing can easily be changed.

·
Super Moderator
8,765 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly that a good automatic is an excellent choice offroad, or on. You can burn up a whole lot of clutch facing in a couple of hours on a real bad stretch of dirt or rock.
The ability to change under power is great. Especially with a turbo diesel where you don't lose boost.

I considered putting a ZF HP22 into my rangie, luckily I found a guy on outerlimits who lunched three of them behind the same engine as me.
Learning from other peoples mistakes is soo much better.:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a ZF HP22 from a V8 behind a 300Tdi in another Defender. I have put 34,000 mile on it (and it had 50,000 before that). All is good so far. When it goes I will get a built ZF HP24.

·
Super Moderator
8,765 Posts
I have a ZF HP22 from a V8 behind a 300Tdi in another Defender. I have put 34,000 mile on it (and it had 50,000 before that). All is good so far. When it goes I will get a built ZF HP24.
I've got an Isuzu 4BD1T, it's got a lot more twist than them.
Look on outerlimits for justinC and his experiences with the same. He was taking advice from Ashcroft and HP24 parts but still kept blowing them up.:eek:

I've got a TF727 in the shed, but 3 gears just ain't enough for me so I'll stick with the 5sp manual isuzu boxes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts