Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

561 - 575 of 575 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #562
I am loving that dash, I was skeptical at first as I love the D2 cluster but thats turned out really well!
Me too honestly, was not expecting the result to look so "fancy" (maybe too nice for that interior haha!) like something out of a small aircraft.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
Very, very nice. Where's the secondary instrument cluster going?
I'm thinking the additional powertrain related gauges will go in a panel that'll replace the old Rover HVAC controls, and the electrical related gauges will go up on the headliner storage panel or down on the center console where the old automatic shifter assembly was.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Me too honestly, was not expecting the result to look so "fancy" (maybe too nice for that interior haha!) like something out of a small aircraft.
I just wish they did a rubber moulded floor matting system to replace the carpet for D2s like Wright Offroad do for Defender, would be ideal for those outdoors types in boots

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #565
It's a funny coincidence that the Rover's interior color is SO very near to the "Cummins biege" that I've applied here to the new gauge cluster:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #566
A full dashboard AND a proper gauge cluster... what is this, some kinda road worthy vehicle now? 😆

Also trying to keep up the momentum with organizing the shop. Now I'm on the hunt for a small-ish mill and a lathe, so hopefully the work I did to seal the place up has worked.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
Here's the process of modifying the new manual transmission shifter and the original dashboard, so they play nice together... plus a bunch of test rips rowing thru the gears to get a feel for the new shifter movement:

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Nice work. That thing needed a shifter like I had in my old '73 F100 with the NP435 transmission. See photo below. That transmission was also under the dash. You remind me some of a young kid I've watched on YouTube. From an early age he was an internal combustion enthusiast. He built a motorized tricycle, a 4 wheel motorcycle, an off road lawn tractor, and a special 6 speed motorized sofa. Wonder what the girl friends thought about that one. LOL. In his senior year of high school the built a 40% scale M26 Pershing tank. His current project he began in 2018 is a built from scratch car. By scratch I mean the frame was a couple sticks of 2x4 tubing and the body a stack of sheet aluminum. He fashioned it after a 1920's-1930's Indy racer. His workshop has a lot of old school tools. A lathe, milling machine, drill press, metal break, and an English wheel. No computer stuff in his shop. How many kids know how to use an English wheel to fashion body panels. He had never touched one and in days was turning out beautiful pieces. He's also a very good welder. If he doesn't have a tool he makes it; His latest segment was to make adapter plates for a Jag 2.4 engine to a flat head Ford bellhousing to a Chevy T5 transmission. His work is as good as any professional. He's in his second year of college now and not sure what he's studying. Here's a couple of links to his project. The first is him making a stainless grille for the car and the other 2 are the engine/trans adapters. Wish I had this kids ability.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Tinker, I had the same shifter issue in my land cruiser 80 4bt nv4500 swap and i took the shifter off the transmission, then took the rod out of the nylon square piece so i wouldnt melt it and i put a little goose neck in the rod (acetelyne torch). It will put the long shifter rod at an angle but another bend in it straightens it out. Works great. I can get a picture later. Fred

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #570
Nice work. That thing needed a shifter like I had in my old '73 F100 with the NP435 transmission. See photo below. That transmission was also under the dash. You remind me some of a young kid I've watched on YouTube. From an early age he was an internal combustion enthusiast. He built a motorized tricycle, a 4 wheel motorcycle, an off road lawn tractor, and a special 6 speed motorized sofa. Wonder what the girl friends thought about that one. LOL. In his senior year of high school the built a 40% scale M26 Pershing tank. His current project he began in 2018 is a built from scratch car. By scratch I mean the frame was a couple sticks of 2x4 tubing and the body a stack of sheet aluminum. He fashioned it after a 1920's-1930's Indy racer. His workshop has a lot of old school tools. A lathe, milling machine, drill press, metal break, and an English wheel. No computer stuff in his shop. How many kids know how to use an English wheel to fashion body panels. He had never touched one and in days was turning out beautiful pieces. He's also a very good welder. If he doesn't have a tool he makes it; His latest segment was to make adapter plates for a Jag 2.4 engine to a flat head Ford bellhousing to a Chevy T5 transmission. His work is as good as any professional. He's in his second year of college now and not sure what he's studying. Here's a couple of links to his project. The first is him making a stainless grille for the car and the other 2 are the engine/trans adapters. Wish I had this kids ability.
I think I'll call that shifter a "gooseneck" haha! And wow that's an impressive resume, probably would've been a hell of a hotrodder if he was born a few generations back! I'm for sure having a look thru those videos later on, seems like some of my favorite youtube channels have been recommended on account of sharing my work on the Disco.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #571
Hey Tinker, I had the same shifter issue in my land cruiser 80 4bt nv4500 swap and i took the shifter off the transmission, then took the rod out of the nylon square piece so i wouldnt melt it and i put a little goose neck in the rod (acetelyne torch). It will put the long shifter rod at an angle but another bend in it straightens it out. Works great. I can get a picture later. Fred
Solid idea and probably would look a bit better plus less bulky than my fix for it, and much appreciated!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #572 (Edited)
Exhaust gas temp sensor installed, but had to drill out my previous tapped hole that was a size too small (eighth vs quarter inch npt) and of course it went a little crooked... probably should've taken the manifold off too. Oh well, hopefully the off-kilter sensor will distract from my TERRIBLE paint job on the engine block that didn't hold up due to the winter cold a few seasons back :( (very much looking forward to a redo on that next summer when I do the frame rails too)

While I was at it I chucked in the boost gauge's pressure sensor right into the turbocharger's outlet elbow (putting the gauge reference as near to the turbo as I could)

Lots of wiring, but a good test run before the thousand+ feet of motorsports grade Raychem "spec55" wire I ordered gets here for the full rewire job:

Did a quick test fire to check the status of all the new readouts and aside from dialing in the NV4500's VSS to match GPS readings it looks like all I have to work on is the tachometer signal that I'm trying to steal from the old Rover alternator... but I kind of expected that to take a little fiddling around to get right (plus I have a laser RPM reader to verify the gauge reading when it's working properly)

Reactions: Motohead1

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #573
Upgraded the shop! Scored a pre-war era vertical milling machine, and locally made to boot (Jackson Machine & Tool No.2). Couldn't have done it without the help of a couple friends with the skill & muscle to tear it down & rebuild it again 30 miles away. It's in surprisingly good shape for being near 100 years old & thankfully came with a bunch of old tools, so I don't have to feel bad about breaking them as I learn.

I'm excited to see what I can do with a level-up like this, even though I have very little knowledge in that department, but thankfully I have smart friends! Can't help but think that a lathe & TIG welder are in my future as well now... Don't have what I need? Now I can make it! :D

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
That old mill is awesome!! What tooling does it use? Looks like it has an outside taper on the spindle, unless that's an end mill holder installed without an end mill in it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
That old mill is awesome!! What tooling does it use? Looks like it has an outside taper on the spindle, unless that's an end mill holder installed without an end mill in it.
It's so cool how stout & simple it is! That's just an empty holder in there, & it uses #10 B&S taper holders. They look so long + thin compared to what we use for the more modern CNC's I work with that I didn't immediately realize they were holders. Unfortunately someone else beat me to the punch with a majority of the tooling, but it did still come with a handful of those holders & odds 'n ends to get me started.

Reactions: GLTHFJ60
561 - 575 of 575 Posts