Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
581 - 586 of 586 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #581 ·
I certainly didn't anticipate it looking like this... but it finally has a hood (bonnet?) again!

I knew that making way for the turbo + stack + intake horn was needed, but I thought that chopping away to clear the valve cover & more was nearly as likely. I was thinking that the aluminum hood wouldn't be up to the task with so much cut away, sure had that wrong!

Glad it's made of aluminum though, because I pretty quickly lost count how many times I had to grunt the thing up there to get the fit right. I kinda dig the way it looks, even if it won't stay this way long term (like the exhaust stack), especially with sloppy wet Michigan snow on the horizon. I think I may need a new windshield squirter location though... not sure I can aim it up high enough to arc up over that stack:

I'm still planning to try my vintage inspired idea to cover all the stuff sticking thru the hood, and was thinking the other day it might be interesting to do an old style cowl mounted gauge too, maybe for boost? Bit of a messy view thru all the soot plastered on the glass, but not a bad view from inside:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Don't let it sit in the rain or snow with the exhaust pointed straight up like that, with no cover. Asking for engine damage.

Love the look though :)

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
You probably need to come up with some type of cowl style hood scoop or bubble that would cover those areas. There are tons of different types of those on the market. Could even design your own out of metal. You can put gauges out there but would need to be sure they are compatible with outdoor use. Probably marine grade units. Old Pontiacs used to have their tach on the hood. Another gauge you could put out there is fuel pressure.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #584 ·
Don't let it sit in the rain or snow with the exhaust pointed straight up like that, with no cover. Asking for engine damage.

Love the look though :)
Ah yeah I just forgot to throw the flap back on (it's clamp has enough spring to it so it can go on/off by hand). It's only a temporary solution until I get off my wallet & get a TIG welder so I can build a full proper exhaust.

Reactions: GLTHFJ60

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #585 ·
You probably need to come up with some type of cowl style hood scoop or bubble that would cover those areas. There are tons of different types of those on the market. Could even design your own out of metal. You can put gauges out there but would need to be sure they are compatible with outdoor use. Probably marine grade units. Old Pontiacs used to have their tach on the hood. Another gauge you could put out there is fuel pressure.
Yep, that's the plan! I've got a particular cowl in mind, just need to do some final measuring now that I know what's poking thru & needs covering. I was thinking maybe a mechanical oil pressure gauge to compliment the electric one in the cluster, but I hadn't thought of fuel pressure, so that's something to ponder on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fantastic Build!

Would you be willing to share the specifics (part number / model years) of the flywheel, transmission adaptor plate and NV4500 transmission?

It appear to be all Chevy/GM components (but even then I understand that there are some differences in late and early Chevy/GM NV4500 in terms of gear ratios, input/output shafts ect. and ability to mate to adaptor plates...)

Cheers!

581 - 586 of 586 Posts