Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
Just came across your great forum and have a question to for you. I'm looking to do a 4bt swap into my 1972 FJ40 and would like to run an NV4500. My question is this. What would I need to make this trans bolt up to the 4bt? I know alot of people have done this swap from looking at the forums, but I am curious as to what it will take to make it happen. Bellhousing kits, clutch options, motor mounts, transfer cases, etc... Are parts from a 6bt 5.9l Dodge interchangeable with its 4 cylinder brother? (bellhousing, clutch etc...) If so I answered my own question and just need to find a wrecked dodge and make a trip to the auto parts store for a clutch kit! Any links to websites or companies that make kits for this swap would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
get a dodge trans

the 6bt stuff bolts right up providing you have the right years 94 to 2004 I think . Get everything starter , adapterplate . flywheel. What side drop is your transfer case.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The NV-4500 is a great transmission, I use it in my trucks. There has been a lot of discussion on the NV-4500 here. At the top of the page, click on search and search for 'NV-4500' lots of reading to be found.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
best recommendation is to buy or acquire the Advance Adapters NV4500 book. It completely goes through everything. I used a NV4500 and it worked great. It is a slightly tough fit in the wheel base of a FJ40 but works. I would also suggest the H55F non usa toyota transmission that you can buy new at the dealer for ~$2G or less. It is a very smooth transmission, you can easily retain your stock axles by using a FJ60 transfer case (close to a bolt on) and is cheaper to use as you only need one adapter to the 4BT. It is smoother shifting and still quite strong and several folks have put them behind NV4500s. Most importantly they are something like 6" shorter. Hope it helps. BOth are good options though. I used a Dodge standard duty 23 spline output NV4500 last time and it worked great. This is the shortest of the NV4500s. You will need to use a different transfer case and come up with a centered rear axle or use your existing transfer case or the FJ60 or later transfer case (which is much stronger and quieter) and AdvanceAdapters(.com) adapters on both sides of the transmission. Hope it helps. Andre

·
Registered
454 Posts
in australia we can buy chevy and sbf bellhousings for the h55f. i'll second it being a good option. just use a full width transfer input gear. it seems the only real achilles heel with this trans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts