Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I appreciate that info, thank you very much!
As for update, the engine is back in and hooked up. just waiting to hear back about injectors yet from my local shop. and if I then need to, I will get in contact with Area Diesel Service!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Will be attempting to fire it up today. got the battery charging and the block heater on - chilly here in central PA!
any tips for start up? I know I have to hand prime the fuel until it comes out of the bleeder above the fuel fiilter
then prime it until it comes out the bleeder on the topish of the fuel pump
then crank it with one injector open, until it squirts out, then have someone close it off while cranking, correct? and repeat for the other injectors

anything I am missing or doing wrong? or other tips?

Another question....I replaced a couple small hydraulic lines while the engine was out. and I see there are some bigger lines that will need attention as well in the near future. Makes me thing about hydraulic fluid. it says mine takes 10w30 for hydraulic fluid. but I am pretty sure there is an additive that needs to go in that, right? Do you know/have a link for what that additive is?

Also, How much pressure should that lift pump (on the side of the block) create? When I hand pump it, it doesnt squirt fluid out any of the bleeders, it just drops fuel straight down in a solid line. Also, the lever on it travels about half way before there is any resistance. are either of these issues?

thanks!

·
Registered
12,542 Posts
Your lift pump on that engine is not a high pressure type. Probably about 10 PSI before the filter and maybe 6-7 PSI after when running. It won't do much at all until you get the air out of the lines. The position of the engine cam can affect the hand pumping action. Also, those diaphragm pumps have a bad reputation for failure. There is a piston type pump that was used on some industrial engines. Dieseltuff sells the upgrade kit for $270. https://www.dieseltuff.com/product/14psi-low-pressure-piston-lift-pump-install-kit-4bt-ve-cummins/ Be patient on the fuel system priming. Sometimes it goes quickly and sometimes it tries you patience. When you first crank up also keep an eye on the oil pressure. Sometimes engines are slow to pickup oil. On the hydraulic oil, there are some systems that use just regular motor oil. I have a Case lawn tractor that operates on that. No additive on it but don't know about your equipment. If an additive is required it should state that in the owner manual.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
yea I know they are not high pressure. But should it squirt the fuel out the open bleeder when I push the lever? So what would a failed diaphragm pump act like? I slowly handed primed it for a while, eventually getting steady stream out the bleeders, as mentioned. I did get lots of air bubbles out at first for a while. then eventually no more air. I havent gotten to cranking it yet. I needed to leave to run some errands work related, and now my helper is gone for the day. Prob going to bleed to the injectors and try to start tomorrow now

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Crack all the injection lines, try pumping the lift pump and you may get some fuel to the one or two of the injectors. A lump of rag over the injectors will stop the fuel spraying everywhere. If by yourself just crank till fuel shows at the injectors then tighten them. Start it and if running a little rough crack each injector and get any last air out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
thanks for the help guys. well now my key broke in half 🤦‍♂️ this is super frustrating. now I guess I got to track down a new ignition switch since I cant really get a key cut with the old one broken in half. this has been so much fun....

·
Registered
12,542 Posts
You ask about signs of a bad lift pump. Low fuel pressure when operating is one sign. You'd generally need a fuel pressure gauge to spot that. When one of those pumps fails it will often put diesel in the crankcase. Check the oil level often and if it seems to get overfull that is a possible problem.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
If you can get the broken bit out a good locksmith should be able to sort out a key for you.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
You ask about signs of a bad lift pump. Low fuel pressure when operating is one sign. You'd generally need a fuel pressure gauge to spot that. When one of those pumps fails it will often put diesel in the crankcase. Check the oil level often and if it seems to get overfull that is a possible problem.
Ok thanks! I havent noticed any of that in the past. my main concern were 'signs' when trying to hand prime it. so as long as its pumping fuel out the bleeders, the pump (as far as pressure goes) is probably working well enough?
If you can get the broken bit out a good locksmith should be able to sort out a key for you.
Cheers Steve
I did get the piece out. However, amazon saved the day with a new switch and keys for $14. will ship here and get it installed much faster than a locksmith making his way to my town, Im sure haha. but thats good to keep in mind.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts