Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
YES............................. nine of them are with in 45 minutes of me at 2 locations. And i got a pocket full of play dough !!!!! My wife hates the one sitting in the back yard now that we used to move into our new house with last week. She would really go off her rocker with a few more matching van's. hahahaha, surprise !!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
all the Lorton, VA ones either are bad engine or "runs." what do you reckon "runs" means. I live just outside charlotte NC and i want to get to one so i can hear it run/maybe drive it. i dont want to bank off "runs"

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YES............................. nine of them are with in 45 minutes of me at 2 locations. And i got a pocket full of play dough !!!!! My wife hates the one sitting in the back yard now that we used to move into our new house with last week. She would really go off her rocker with a few more matching van's. hahahaha, surprise !!!
E-gads, you mean it's not normal to have more than one in the back yard? I have 3-1/2 of them here. They make great storage sheds so you can once again have room to actually park your truck in your garage!:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
well i have actually had bought 6 of them and had them at my fathers place,but some of the vans i bought were listed as " runs ", but the engines were coated in oil and the tranny's slipped really bad etc..etc.., and some ran but had parts scavaged off of them making them really not drivable

·
Registered
477 Posts
I called and talked to the mechanic before buying mine. I was told 14k miles on the drive line. Wrong, but it did run and I drove it 550 miles home. I do have some problems to address. See my other posts for details. The closest ones to me in the upcoming sale are near Chicago. That is a 4+ hr trip for me. My wife and neighbors would shoot me if I brought another home. I still have remains of the 1st.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
There are two here in Utah.. The prices are getting so high right now, honestly not sure it's worth it. But what other options do we have I suppose.. I drove 10 hours last time.. But that is a drop in the bucket for west coast driving, usually.... :grinpimp:

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More Vans Added

Updated list now online with 43 4BT vans.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We bought 7 last year and drove them all home from 100-200 miles away.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No. I have a good friend that is a used car dealer. He needed some replacement 4BT engines for some industrial equipment that he had onhand. I found the vans on DoveBid and he ran them through his dealership which allowed us to drive them home on a dealer plate and his insurance. I paid him a finder fee for running them through which was cheaper than if I would have had to pay for hauling or towing. So I ended up with two 18 footers. He sold one 12 footer, one 18 footer, and used 2 engines in wood chippers and sold one low mileage engine (50K documented) for around $1200. I guess being an auto hobbyist for over forty years may have given me an slight advantage. Over the years I have always helped the local dealers and salvage yards. I try to help them and we trade favors. Check with your local car dealers and salvage yards. Some one may be willing to drive one home for you for a fee.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I drove mine home around 200 miles with the bill of sale from dove bid and a copy of my insurance card to show I was insured as a driver. Check your local rules you may not need to do much. I didn't even have a title since those are mailed to you from frito lay later on. It did help that they left the license plate on for me and it had a current year sticker.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I called my insurance company before driving mine home. I was going to buy a few days worth of insurance. They told me I had 30 days of coverage on anything I bought before I had to call them and put it on the policy. Basically they said drive it home and park it and it's covered with no additional fee. I bought mine in GA. I called to buy a transport permit, temporary tag, whatever you want to call it. GA said they don't have such a thing and that there is a 30 day grace period from date of purchase. I called IL, my home state, and they said anything like this was purchased from the state of purchase. If they didn't require it IL didn't need it.
Every state is different! Check the laws.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Auctions are now open. Bidding wars are going on. One in Idaho is heading north fast.
I'm curious to see how high it goes. I am trying to find a 4bt near me and they seem to be scarce in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There were some in the Vancouver area a couple of sales ago. They seem to come and go.

I get the feeling some are bidding them up and them part them out. I see one of the bidders in Idaho is also bidding in Utah.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Most of the ones sold within a 500 - 600 mile radius of St. Louis are bought by the same guy. They get cut up and the engines and transmissions sent to Mexico. He has the whole system down pat(purchasing, transporting, storage, cutting up, and selling drive lines). He seems to be a nice enough guy I just can't afford what he sells the motors for.

Who were the lucky auction winners from the forum????
Beck - Non bidder

·
Vendor
2,651 Posts
A guy in Den. had a stepvan and an F-350 for sale on craigslist the van went for 1k and was sold by the time I called. Hope this helps westerners some, talked to him he had gotten van in SLC. Said first exit into SLC off of I-80 heading west a guy has a small scrapyard/salvge yard had craploads of 4bts and sold them at a reasonable price, didnt give much more info than that. Seems like @ Christmas time I talked to him. Hope it helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts