Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving it for a couple of days and now just have to work some bugs out. The injection pump is leaking and the tranny TV cable still needs adjusting but other then that I'm giddy:) for the swap. So for all of you who are getting inpatient with your conversion just hang in there, when it's done you will enjoy the fruits of your labor.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uV903Ai7Uhg

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have been driving it for a couple of days and now just have to work some bugs out. The injection pump is leaking and the tranny TV cable still needs adjusting but other then that I'm giddy:) for the swap. So for all of you who are getting inpatient with your conversion just hang in there, when it's done you will enjoy the fruits of your labor.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uV903Ai7Uhg

your suburban looks great congrats on the completed project what did you decide to do with your exhaust what size did you run? Thank you for the motivational message about impatient conversions i am getting so impatient and hoping it will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the compliments.

For the exhaust its a 3" straight pipe with no muffler. Some friends told me with a muffler it wouldn't make a big of difference quieting it down. But it sounds like an open 6B in a Dodge, it gets people's attention.

BTW, this conversion was almost a year and a half in the making so hang in there.

·
Registered
269 Posts
any fuel mileage numbers yet, looks good sounds great. Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Agree! Looks GOOD sounds GREAT!!!

If it won't knock down 20+ something is skwewey!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fuel Mileage update

I have put 200 miles on the odometer and so far the average fuel mileage is 22-23 mpg from half and half town and highway driving. This average is with a fuel leak out of the injection pump that's gonna be worked on.

Soon, the axle gears will be changed out from 3.73 to 3.42s

I'm just happy with this conversion, a little slow on the acceleration but that can be taken care of with some mods.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice job. We have a 94 burb with a 6.5td. How does the power feel? Do you have any mods on the motor? Is it bolted to a 700R4?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the compliments.

For the exhaust its a 3" straight pipe with no muffler. Some friends told me with a muffler it wouldn't make a big of difference quieting it down. But it sounds like an open 6B in a Dodge, it gets people's attention.

BTW, this conversion was almost a year and a half in the making so hang in there.
Did you get to make the trip for thanksgiving in your suburban? if so How did it do on power and mileage?

65 crew ( I met you on greenwich road, I was in the jeep panel)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well done!! Nice clean install. I've got a 91 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban that's currently on propane. Not a bad unit but I love my cummins in my truck. Been thinking about dropping a 5.9 into the Burb but was concerned about tranny selection. What are you using for a tranny? My 700r has a shift kit with a lockup converter but there's no way it would handle a 5.9. The 3.9 on the other hand might be the answer.
Ian

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well done!! Nice clean install. I've got a 91 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban that's currently on propane. Not a bad unit but I love my cummins in my truck. Been thinking about dropping a 5.9 into the Burb but was concerned about tranny selection. What are you using for a tranny? My 700r has a shift kit with a lockup converter but there's no way it would handle a 5.9. The 3.9 on the other hand might be the answer.
Ian
My '95 'burb has responded well to the 4BT. I am running the 4L80 and it works great. You will have to mount a TPS and get a chip programmed for it to shift right. I used the existing throttle on mine and welded a linkage to it to work the pump. Mine has the electronic pump, that is why I had to do that. I have propane injection on mine, and just checked the mileage today. It is getting 28.7 on #2 with about half highway half short trip stuff. It will take a while to quantify the lp consumption. I can't use as much lp as I could with the 6.5L because this engine is working harder most of the time and that limits how much propane you can feed it. Is you lp tank in place of the gas tank, or some other location?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you get to make the trip for thanksgiving in your suburban? if so How did it do on power and mileage?
My Suburban didn't make it on this trip. Get this...the flexplate bolts are vibrating out. When everything was going together I didn't locktight the bolts. Now the tranny has be to detached and set back some to gain access to the bolts as in remove and locktight them. As for mileage, it's still hard to tell because so far I'm getting 21 around town and some highway driving but that is with an injection pump leak! The injection pump has to be removed and taken in for repair.

Power is Okay. Off the line has good acceleration up to 40 mph then it loses it's "UMPF" It has the small turbo so it should spool up fast. But It needs some mods or just new injectors.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
B1jetmech Try the guys at Pitsburg Power www.dieselinjection.net
They've been hot rodding cummins for about 30 years. They'll be able to tell you how to get more power out of the 3.9 saftely. They took my 160 hp-400ft/lb 12 vavle and turned it into a 230hp-650ft/lb unit with just a turbine housing swap and instructions on how to turn up my injector pump. $200.00. Fuel mileage didn't change and my truck plays with my 30' 5th wheel now.

marcdeluca The burb has a 350 with the propane ignition chip and the tanks are located where the gas tank was. Thats part of the problem, they're so small (18us gal) that I only get 200 miles out of a fill up and I'm looking for fuel again. Would much rather have a diesel for some lite pulling and the fuel mileage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You could put a diesel tank in the back and leave the lp tanks for propane injection. I expect to get at least 1300 miles to a tank of #2 on ours. I don't have a meter to measure how much propane it is using, so I have to estimate it based on the tank gauge. My lp tank is 49 gal.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My Suburban didn't make it on this trip. Get this...the flexplate bolts are vibrating out. When everything was going together I didn't locktight the bolts. Now the tranny has be to detached and set back some to gain access to the bolts as in remove and locktight them. As for mileage, it's still hard to tell because so far I'm getting 21 around town and some highway driving but that is with an injection pump leak! The injection pump has to be removed and taken in for repair.

Power is Okay. Off the line has good acceleration up to 40 mph then it loses it's "UMPF" It has the small turbo so it should spool up fast. But It needs some mods or just new injectors.

I'll keep you posted.
mine did that too at first, made such a racket!!!!

I was able to just take the dust cover off and put the bolts back in, not too bad for me, i guess yours is a little different though. I put loctite on them and didn't have any more problems. It shook my transfer case bolts loose too that made a nice mess. Oh and my rear ds flange bolts on the pinion, those came loose too. i guess it vibrates a bit bounce

1 - 16 of 16 Posts