Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have an injector that appears to be leaking between the injector body and the hex fitting that screws into the head. Anyone had this problem and will tightening it likely fix the problem, or should I buy a new injector?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
696 Posts
Guys,

I have an injector that appears to be leaking between the injector body and the hex fitting that screws into the head. Anyone had this problem and will tightening it likely fix the problem, or should I buy a new injector?

Thanks,

Chris
Hi, I had this problem on 2 of my injectors. I bought new copper washers removed the injector and cleaned the injector hole out really good (Q tips helped) also give the injector where the washer sits a good clean. Reassembled and both were fine. Try it the washers are cheap. Make sure you torque them down right.

Gaza

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try it the washers are cheap. Make sure you torque them down right.

Gaza
Does Napa or other parts stores carry the washers? Please define "torque them down right".....I am a newb and have not found much info on the net.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Does Napa or other parts stores carry the washers? Please define "torque them down right".....I am a newb and have not found much info on the net.[/QUOTE

A Bosch dealer anybody that works injection pumps will have them in stock or you can get them from Cummins ,there are cheap and should be replaced when the injectors are removed .

* Note * make sure before you remove the injector it is very clean and the head as well ......

Scott

·
Registered
696 Posts
Please define "torque them down right".....I am a newb and have not found much info on the net.
Hi, they need to be torqued to correct ft/lbs, don't think this is crucial like head bolts though. can't remember exact spec as info is on another pc, clean the hole out & fit a new copper washer and it will almost certainly fix problem as it did for me. As Scott says either a Bosch dealer or cummins or the vehicle dealer from where the engine came from will have them. Mine came from a DAF so I got mine from there.

Gaza

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I pulled the injector.....

It did appear that the washer was installed with a bunch of junk on the sealing surface and it was carboned up. It had a thick washer and all I could get locally was a thin one. I ended up lightly filing the washer to remove imperfections and reinstalling. However, that apparently was not the source of the leak since it leaks worse now that I put it back together. It is leaking way too much to be blowing back up and it is clearly not bubbling which I would expect with a compression leak.

I did find that the return bolt was different on this injector. All the others are a center drilled bolt, but this one is apparently some kind of after market or other style with two flats on the side of it. Even at that I suspect the seal is not cutting it.

So, my next plan is to get another bolt and seal for the return on this injector. Hopefully that will fix it. Right now it is losing a fair amount of fuel so driving will have to be minimal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts