Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my donor truck home today. We hauled it in to be on the safe side, never know what you may be getting into. It is a 88 Ford 3/4 ton Wonder Bread truck. After driving it about 12 mi I found that the injection pump has a slow but steady drip from the device that looks like it may have a diaphragm on the top of the pump. There is a small fitting on the back side under the cover of this device that has a rubber cover with a drain tube on it that is leaking. What is this and what can I do to fix it? I hope I havent done to bad of a job of explaining this. I belive this is what you guys call a VE pump.

·
Registered
43 Posts
that is called you anaroid bellows it is a quick fix just pull the 4 screws out of the top and then mark where your shaft alingment is and pull out the shaft replace the bellows and reinstall in the same location because the shaft is eccentrate in shape and will either increase or decrease the feul delivery. you will notice a wear mark on your shaft aling that wit h the oin that left that mark and you will be all set

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boy thats great news. Thanks. I was afraid it was going to be a pump overhaul. This web site just keeps getting better.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Me too...

You're not alone.
so this is one of the first seals to go? maybe due to movement? Injection shop said that most of my seals are probably shot... Haven't had time to order the seal kit and prove them wrong.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I Beleive Yyou Can Buy A Seal Kit For About $35 At A Local Bosch Distribator For A Ve Pump Same Kit Reseals Either A 6 Or 4 Banger. I Just Rebuilt My Pump And Put In A 3470 Rpm Gov. Spring Wow What A Diferance My Boost #'s Went Up 6 Lbs At Full Acceration For A Total Of 30 Lbs Good Luck With Your Re Seal Project

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a place to order a kit from on line? Do you know the part #? Does the pump have to come off the engine to do the reseal? Is it hard to retime the pump if you do remove it? Now stand still a minute while I think of some more questions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
to time a pump for removal just pin your engine first behind the pump you have to rotate your engine by hand(it will take 2 people unless you are really flexable)and you will feel your pin which you are applying presure to will drop into a location or hole. whatever you want to call it. once you have your engine timed at that time lock your pump down so you have your timming exactly where you left it. then you can pull your pump to reseal it. if you have a fuel shop close by i suggest you take it there cause there alot of little parts in there you just cant explain over a computer if you need a fuel shop mail to my work and city diesel injection will be glad to reseal it for you have fun

·
Registered
443 Posts
My local shop just wanted to sell me a reman... what does your shop charge?

to time a pump for removal just pin your engine first behind the pump you have to rotate your engine by hand(it will take 2 people unless you are really flexable)and you will feel your pin which you are applying presure to will drop into a location or hole. whatever you want to call it. once you have your engine timed at that time lock your pump down so you have your timming exactly where you left it. then you can pull your pump to reseal it. if you have a fuel shop close by i suggest you take it there cause there alot of little parts in there you just cant explain over a computer if you need a fuel shop mail to my work and city diesel injection will be glad to reseal it for you have fun

·
Registered
43 Posts
a reman pump is one that is a inventory or stocked up part they are good to go ready to put on. what does our shop charge it depends on how much work has to be performed on the pump. $79/hr + parts. a man usually can do one or three in a day depending how extensive the damage is to the pump. I just cant give you an exact price look up this web site citydieselknoxville and ask the sales people to quote a price
have fun

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a place to order a kit from on line? Do you know the part #? Does the pump have to come off the engine to do the reseal? Is it hard to retime the pump if you do remove it? Now stand still a minute while I think of some more questions.
All the above advice sounds good. I had decided to have my pump done professionally even though I always do almost all my work myself (gassers). But then a good friend of mine told me about a good friend of his that has a pump shop and he has offered me a one time buddy deal were he will let me go through my pump in his shop under his watchful eye. If I get in over my head he will take over and charge his hourly rate. I will learn how to set it up ect. and will be taking him my complete engine on a test stand so I can also learn how to time it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
that sounds great. that is how i got started in this feild down in orlando florida thru a shop called accurate diesel injection. when we were done i begged them to hire me and here i am 3 years later a certified boat tech and a diesel fanatic isnt life grand
well have fun and let me know what you think of the test stand. its intimadating at first but you do get use to it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts