Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stuck in new orleans, needing my injecter pump rebuilt or replaced.

The truck runs fine, it just leaks fuel somewhere around the injector pump onto the outside of the engine.

I didnot have a leak until I found that my lift pump was not working, for how long, I do not know. I do know that the injector pumps self destruct when they run for a while with a loser for a lift pump.

This truck has possibly made 2 round trips from Ohio, to New orleans with a bad lift pump.

On the highway once and a while at full throttle it would feel like it was running out of fuel until I let off the throttle, then it would pick up where it left off. So I figure it has been weak at the minimum for the duration of the trips.

So, I figure it has given up the ghost.

Whadda ya do in my sitiation! I am not even sure where it is leaking from yet. It started leaking the day I put the new lift pump in..

Are they pricy to rebuild or replace? Is there another pump I can swap it out for that is abundant?

Any more free help I can get will be put to use here in NOLA!!

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,618 Posts
Look for the leak, is it leaking where you can't see it, between the engine and the VE pump, dumping on the ground. If so, there is a plug that has a "O" ring on the inside, and usually is the problem. Usually you have to pull the pump to get at the seal. A pump shop (Diesel) can pull the pump and fix it, much cheaper than a replacement. I know all about this leak, it happened to me while I was working in Calif. Cost me a reman pump.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Bosch part number is p/n 1 460 210 304. Don't know if Cummins will work with a Bosch #. In a pinch you can find an O-ring of the same diameter but bigger O.D. and make a replacement using a new razor blade. Make a slant cut through new larger O-ring and keep cutting off small pieces until you get a match with the old one one on ring diameter. Use a new tube of thin superglue and just glue the slant cut faces together. Oh. make sure no dirt/grease get on the faces to be glued. Used this on several oil well jobs I was on while working Shreveport Louisiana; So I know this works in that state:grinpimp:
Don't know if this will help in time, but I will post the VE pump parts diagram and list today.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd like to post the diagrams and parts lists for the VE but my PDF's are 1.6Mb. Anyone know how I can resize or get a 1.6Mb file on this site? I'd reather not change them to JPG files because of the severe size limitations of those.
I really think everyone will like these lists because it gives alternate part numbers like different governor springs.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'd like to post the diagrams and parts lists for the VE but my PDF's are 1.6Mb. Anyone know how I can resize or get a 1.6Mb file on this site? I'd reather not change them to JPG files because of the severe size limitations of those.
I really think everyone will like these lists because it gives alternate part numbers like different governor springs.
Email it to me and i will post a link to them tonight phillyzj @ gmail . com

·
Registered
137 Posts
Those look to be all the same file. Might be able to save a bunch of bandwidth and just post up ONE of those PDF's. I'm looking at all of them right now and they're identical on my end.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Those look to be all the same file. Might be able to save a bunch of bandwidth and just post up ONE of those PDF's. I'm looking at all of them right now and they're identical on my end.
so you are correct, i guess he just sent me 5 copies of it.

the link is the same. i could have changed it from a zip, but this way it's not confusing.

·
Registered
413 Posts
no worky for me

I couldn't pull that up.

So, I take it you guys are replacing all the seals in these pumps yourself?
I think my adenoid is leaking out the vent( it is the boost compensator/diaphragm, and fuel is leaking out the vent if not elsewhere)

If someone wants to shoot me those files my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for posting the files. I found a local shop that has the Bosch Seal Kit DGK121 for about $26.

I also called around to see how much it would be to install all of the seals in the kit and was quoted $950. Holy crap that's a ton of money. He said that they didn't just swap out the leaking o-rings on the covers anymore b/c they were getting lots of people returning and blaming them for other leaks on the VE pump. They basically said that if it's leaking now, and you fix the leaking o-ring, then it is probably going to leak later at a different point due to the age of all of the seals/orings and the use of ULSD fuel. So they will swap all seals and test the pump and reinstall back into the truck.

I'm just going to buy the seal kit and will try to find the leak. Hopefully it's one of the easy o-rings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts